Biking – What should we see?

elmojessi

We plan to rent bikes while in Key West to do some geocaching and see more of the island. What should we make sure not to miss? Are there some things that people don’t usually get to see since it’s too far to walk and the trollies don’t go there? Also, I’ve read several reviews that say the bike rental companies don’t have helmets. Does anyone know of a place that offers helmets? I never ride without one, and it sounds like when bike accidents happen in KW, they’re pretty serious.

Thanks!

We plan to rent bikes while in Key West to do some geocaching and see more of the island. What should we make sure not to miss? Are there some things that people don’t usually get to see since it’s too far to walk and the trollies don’t go there? Also, I’ve read several reviews that say the bike rental companies don’t have helmets. Does anyone know of a place that offers helmets? I never ride without one, and it sounds like when bike accidents happen in KW, they’re pretty serious.

Thanks!

You would think your Q about helmets would be on every biker rental's web page, but island Mobility is the only one that does...

http://www.islandcomfortmobility.com/

"bike rentals come equip with Baskets, Locks, Lights, Drink Koozies & Helmets (upon request)."

You want to get over to the other side of the island from approx the Casa Marina where Higgs Beach begins at the end of Reynolds Street. There you can ride out onto the White Street pier for the views and see the West Martello tower and garden. Then ride along Atlantic Blvd, make a right onto Bertha, and one more block takes you to Smathers Beach where you can ride along a wide sidewalk with the ocean on your right. Some people ride off the island to Stock Island and have lunch at the Hogfish bar. I've never done this but everyone who has says it was great and not a terribly long ride.

Pjk

Archived