St. John On Our Own

apdchief

We (2 adults & 1 child) were on the Breeze the week of March 16th and decided to go to St. John when we were at St. Thomas. We did not use Carnival for the excursion and did it ourselves, it was a piece of cake and allowed for more time to ourselves.

We were off the ship at about 8am to a cab to redhook dock ($8pp) to the 9am ferry to St.John ($6per adult and $1 for Children) 20 minute ride, took a cab to Trunks Bay ($6pp) 15 minute ride and spent about 3.5 hours on the most beautiful beach I ever been on. Trunks Bay cost $4pp to go to, but you have clean restrooms, showers, changing rooms and food and drinks available for purchase. Cabs are waiting in the parking lot to take you back to Cruz Bay. We left around 1:30 and had a nice lunch in Cruz Bay and caught the 3pm ferry back to St. Thomas and had plenty of time for some shopping before our ship left port at 6pm. I would recommend this trip strongly if you are a beach person. The whole trip (transportation) for 3 of us cost $110.00 vs. $199.97 Carnival excursion for only 4 hours total.

This is what we are thinking about doing when we visit St Thomas in May.

Was it crowded?

Was there a place to rent snorkeling gear and other watersports equipment?

What kind of food was available?

Thanks,

Tim:cool:

This is what we are thinking about doing when we visit St Thomas in May.

Was it crowded?

Was there a place to rent snorkeling gear and other watersports equipment?

What kind of food was available?

Thanks,

Tim:cool:

Was not crowded at all. Yes I believe you could rent snorkle gear there, but I am not 100% positive on that and we did not eat there we ate back at Cruz bay, but I believe they had burgers and chicken and alcohol and non-alcoholic drinks. Sorry I couldn't provide more, but we really just enjoyed the beach and water.

The self-excursion is absolutely the way to go, there are several threads on this topic if you want more details on the other STJ beaches. Trunk is generally quite busy and many people will go to Cinnamon or beyond (Maho and Francis) for less crowds, but you also have fewer amenities (which is why it's quieter).

But yes, great idea, and the RH ferry is the way to go whether docked at Havensight or Crown.

Cleveland, some people will also walk to Honeymoon Beach from Cruz Bay rather than taxi to Trunk because they enjoy the walk, and Honeymoon is typically less busy than Trunk which is hyped so much. There is snorkeling at all of these and limited rentals at some.

http://www.stjohntour.com/BeachesMap.html

We also did the self excursion to St John in January. We hooked up, via roll call, w/ another couple on our cruise and did the Red Hook thing. We barely made the ferry as the other couple has lost their camera lens the night before and wanted to stop at the port and buy a new lens. BUT we made it!! Absolutely beautiful and so glad we did it. We did a small tour around the island and then went to Trunk Bay for swimming etc. Wasn't crowded at all. I believe we took the 230 ferry back to St Thomas and had more than enough time. When you're waiting to return in St John theres a little bar called the Cowboy lounge (up the hill in a blueish building..I believe) Awesome bbq sliders and rum ice cones (that sign is what sucked us in) Needless to say it was worth the little hike up the hill to find this little lounge and enjoy an outstanding pulled pork slider!

Enjoy your trip!

I thought the only Maho Beach was at St. Maarten? Didn't realize there is one on St John too?

Maho is a favorite of folks wanting to avoid the heavier cruise ship crowd typically found at Honeymoon, Trunk, and Cinnamon. Friends who prefer to stay on STJ like Francis and Maho for the snorkeling and the chance to see turtles. We prefer The East End of STT and Sapphire.

Here's a map showing the nicer STJ beaches-

http://www.stjohntour.com/BeachesMap.html

Maho in St Maarten is just ok as a beach, very crowded and popular mostly for watching jets land and being blown into the watery those taking off. The SSBB is a great spot to buy an expensive drink and watch.

Landing at SXMis a thrill because of the short runway, shortest that will accept a 747 (or something).

There are much nicer beaches to the north.

I'm doing a RCI excursion in the morning that finishes at 10.30. I then want to go St. John to purchase a hook bracelet. Could someone tell me how long it takes in a taxi to Red Hook to catch a ferry across?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for posting this... we're going to do the same thing in a few weeks! Your post has given me a little more confidence!!!

We will be going over to St John too. My son and I did this the first time we were in St Thomas. The next time we went to Magens Beach and Sapphire Beach. This time my husband will be with us and we are going to St John because my son and I liked it the best. It is really pretty easy to get there. At least we didn't run into any problems. Maybe we will see you there since we are on the same cruise.

Sharon

You can get hook bracelets on St Thomas at almost any jewelry or souvenir store. You would be mighty rushed to go to St John just for a bracelet.

I disagree, although there are now more available on STT everything we saw in CA and in Red Hook last January was of inferior workmanship (cheap stuff).

Ned if you're already on St John the St John Bracelet Co in Cruz Bay is excellent. If you need to get to St John on your own it takes about 1 hr each way from Havensight (1/2 hr taxi and 20 min ferry each way, about $30 roundtrip). Just search this forum with the term hook bracelet as well.

I disagree, although there are now more available on STT everything we saw in CA and in Red Hook last January was of inferior workmanship (cheap stuff).

Ned if you're already on St John the St John Bracelet Co in Cruz Bay is excellent. If you need to get to St John on your own it takes about 1 hr each way from Havensight (1/2 hr taxi and 20 min ferry each way, about $30 roundtrip). Just search this forum with the term hook bracelet as well.

That's the shop that has been recommended to me.

When I arrive at the port, after the tour, RCI has another excursion that leaves 15 minutes after I get back to go to St John. But because there isn't a 45 minute slot I can't book both. So I've been told that I can book the St John excursion on the ship and hope for the best. If I don't get on, I'll need to go Red Rook to Cruz Bay.

Thanks for the info. Can I get taxis at the pier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the shop that has been recommended to me.

When I arrive at the port, after the tour, RCI has another excursion that leaves 15 minutes after I get back to go to St John. But because there isn't a 45 minute slot I can't book both. So I've been told that I can book the St John excursion on the ship and hope for the best. If I don't get on, I'll need to go Red Rook to Cruz Bay.

Thanks for the info. Can I get taxis at the pier?

Gotchya. If you miss the excursion and have time the trip to Cruz and back is not a bad thing, the ferry ride is nice. We stay at a condo resort near Red Hook, and we take the ferry over to Cruz to shop and have a lunch because it's so close and there is quite a lot there to choose from as far as shopping and dining. So I guess I'm trying to say it's not a waste of time as long as you're not missing something else that you want to do or see. Red Hook is also fun if you ever have time to stop there for lunch.

Have a great cruise!

Gotchya. If you miss the excursion and have time the trip to Cruz and back is not a bad thing, the ferry ride is nice. We stay at a condo resort near Red Hook, and we take the ferry over to Cruz to shop and have a lunch because it's so close and there is quite a lot there to choose from as far as shopping and dining. So I guess I'm trying to say it's not a waste of time as long as you're not missing something else that you want to do or see. Red Hook is also fun if you ever have time to stop there for lunch.

Have a great cruise!

Again, thanks for info. And I'll try my very best. :D

The hook bracelets they sell at AH Riise are from the same company as the ones in Red Hook. They are of excellent quality, but are more expensive than some of the ones sold at some souvenir stores. It's all about how much silver is in the bracelet.

Archived