Can someone clarify the "complimentary upgrade"

TakeMeAway1001

We're are all set we booked ES and have received all our requested price drops, however I have a question about the couple traveling with us, here is their scenario... they are past guests and not booked ES, however their cruise fare is $280 less than when they booked their OV and my PVP said no OBC which I get but no "complimentary upgrade" because you are not allowed to go from an OV to a balcony yet people on here are saying they were allowed to. If the price to move to a balcony is $100 and their drop is $280 am I wrong in thinking they could possibly do it if they spoke to someone else??

Thanks~

We're are all set we booked ES and have received all our requested price drops, however I have a question about the couple traveling with us, here is their scenario... they are past guests and not booked ES, however their cruise fare is $280 less than when they booked their OV and my PVP said no OBC which I get but no "complimentary upgrade" because you are not allowed to go from an OV to a balcony yet people on here are saying they were allowed to. If the price to move to a balcony is $100 and their drop is $280 am I wrong in thinking they could possibly do it if they spoke to someone else??

Thanks~

How did they book their reservation?

1-800 Carnival

Unfortunately they will have to keep calling. Booking / calling the 800# they'll get a different answer each time. But you are correct, there are a lot of people (past guest) who've been upgraded - it's a shame your pvp hadn't booked them because majority of pvp's ARE doing those upgrades.

Unfortunately they will have to keep calling. Booking / calling the 800# they'll get a different answer each time. But you are correct, there are a lot of people (past guest) who've been upgraded - it's a shame your pvp hadn't booked them because majority of pvp's ARE doing those upgrades.

My PVP wasn't the least bit helpful during any of this, he said they weren't allowed to do any adjustments/upgrades and that they all had to be done via the form. I think he was frustrated that my family didn't use him, but regardless what's done is done. Not really even sure why I use him anymore seeing as I have to do everything myself anyhow. Thanks for your advice :)

I could be very wrong when I say this, but it's my understanding that if someone books via the 800# no pvp can touch it. My pvp will only get involved if it's been booked with him - and just recently he did, thankfully!

I could be very wrong when I say this, but it's my understanding that if someone books via the 800# no pvp can touch it. My pvp will only get involved if it's been booked with him - and just recently he did, thankfully!

He said that it's not possible period, if you can truly only go cabin type to cabin type they would only be eligible to go from Riviera to Main, not much of an upgrade. Thanks again for your time :)

He said that it's not possible period, if you can truly only go cabin type to cabin type they would only be eligible to go from Riviera to Main, not much of an upgrade. Thanks again for your time :)

That is NOT true. Keep calling until you get someone willing to help. Good Luck!!

That is NOT true. Keep calling until you get someone willing to help. Good Luck!!

His last response was~

I’m not sure what you mean by roll call, but if give me an example of someone who received an upgrade to a balcony from an interior cabin or ocean view, I’ll be glad to check it for you. There is no preferential treatment with Carnival and there’s no difference based upon who or where you booked the cruise. Everyone is eligible for the same promotions, provided the qualify. However, the timing of when someone booked, along with promotion they booked under, does make a difference. I’d have to look at specifics to respond better to your question, though.

I will try again but frankly I am losing patience :mad:

My PVP wasn't the least bit helpful during any of this, he said they weren't allowed to do any adjustments/upgrades and that they all had to be done via the form. I think he was frustrated that my family didn't use him, but regardless what's done is done. Not really even sure why I use him anymore seeing as I have to do everything myself anyhow. Thanks for your advice :)

A friend of mine referred me to her PVP after I had booked a cruise through the website. So I called him, he told me since he didn't book the reservation, he could lose his job for even opening it. Not sure how true that is, but it's what he told me.

Thanks~

There is thread with a letter that was sent to travel agents about Carnival Past Guest suporting the crusie line. I sent a copy of the letter and got up graded from an interior to an oceanview. We are sailing on the Inspiration which doesn't have traditional balconies. I would find the letter and have them call Carnival and ask for an upgrade according to the letter.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1810124&highlight=ta+letter

He has the letter, he just said they don't take into consideration that they would have an OBC of $280 if they booked ES, he said they could upgrade for $100 plus the increase in their travel insurance (yes they get it from Carnival). The whole thing is confusing as heck. As someone else mentioned just like anything at Carnival it depends on who you talk to. This however falls right into the offer of the letter that was released..who knows.

He has the letter, he just said they don't take into consideration that they would have an OBC of $280 if they booked ES, he said they could upgrade for $100 plus the increase in their travel insurance (yes they get it from Carnival). The whole thing is confusing as heck. As someone else mentioned just like anything at Carnival it depends on who you talk to. This however falls right into the offer of the letter that was released..who knows.

Am I understanding correctly that your friends are talking to the same person each time? They should call the 800 # and talk with someone else. People keep reporting that they've been able to do it--I'd keep trying if it were me. :)

Sounds like your PVP is referring to the traditional same-category upgrades typically offered during Carnival's promotions (inside to inside, OV to OV, balcony to balcony). The letter recently put out offering upgrades is for past guest appreciation for support during the Triumph fire and does not seem to limit the upgrades, at least in verbiage. It states "complimentary upgrades" without being more specific. What he is saying about "upgrading" for $100 is upselling, not upgrading, and $100 is certainly not complimentary.

As others have advised, I'd have them call the 800 number and speak to the next available agent, refer to Carnival's own letter, and ask for the best available upgrade under the past guest appreciation program. Keep calling until somebody is willing to help. Good luck!

Archived