Considering Azamara for the first time in November/December 2014

haikou

I am used to Crystal and understand Azamara is basically a nice but not luxury line by any stretch. That is fine with me as the itinerary I am choosing is unavailable elsewhere, from what I have researched. I do believe the staterooms are much smaller. I am not so sure about shower only with no bathtub however. For those of you who enjoy bathtubs, has this been a problem? I am a non drinker. What non alcoholic drinks are included. How is the entertainment in general? Are there any enrichment lectures? I assume the spas are run by Steiner/Elemis? Is there assigned dining? Will solo travelers feel out of place? Any input would be helpful.

I am used to Crystal and understand Azamara is basically a nice but not luxury line by any stretch. That is fine with me as the itinerary I am choosing is unavailable elsewhere, from what I have researched. I do believe the staterooms are much smaller. I am not so sure about shower only with no bathtub however. For those of you who enjoy bathtubs, has this been a problem?The small suites have bathtubs and the large suites have whirlpool tubs. After a long day touring, the whirlpool tub is lovely. I am a non drinker. What non alcoholic drinks are included. There are too many to list. How is the entertainment in general?OK. Are there any enrichment lectures?There were two excellent lecturers on our Antarctic cruise. I assume the spas are run by Steiner/Elemis? Is there assigned dining? No there is open seating. You can ask to sit with other people. Will solo travelers feel out of place? No, you won't feel out of place. Any input would be helpful.

Knowing that this is not a luxury experience is the key to having your expectations met.

Knowing that this is not a luxury experience is the key to having your expectations met.

I just wish other lines' single supplement fees were as reasonable as crystal's! By the time you pay the 75-100% of double occupancy rate, many of you could travel on Crystal for less than a mainstream/premium cruise line!

I just wish other lines' single supplement fees were as reasonable as crystal's! By the time you pay the 75-100% of double occupancy rate, many of you could travel on Crystal for less than a mainstream/premium cruise line!

This is true. Some of the Silversea single supplements are reasonable.

Many Azamara cruises offer a single supplement of 25% and so attract many single cruisers

My recent experience (having had some less good ones) is that the Spa is run by Steiner but the staff are not focused on selling you products and I actually enjoyed the treatments I had -I had booked a hair shampoo out of necessity but enjoyed it and the ambience so much I went back for a facial, which was very good.

I think it is a wise move not to be so product sales focused, the customer comes back!

If Azamara is not luxury, I'm not quite certain what luxury is, or what else that ½* (as in 5½ out of 6*) buys... Our butler did not massage my feet, but he did get the sole of my shoe, which had completely separated from the body of the shoe, fixed overnight - no charge. The complementary booze in our suite included Johnny Walker Black, which I would prefer to cook with rather than drink. I had to shell out $10 of my on board credit for my single malt scotches. The room flowers were small, not a full bouquet (which we were forced to bring on board ourselves, but the staff made sure the water was changed each day, and the wilting ones were removed. The rooms are small, true, but the warmth and caring of the crew certainly is not, and there is no rock climbing wall available to the guests either. The tub in our suite was a bit oddly sized, but it was a tub. What one wants when shelling out big bucks is clearly personal, but after 2 cruises under my/our belts, with a third approaching, I'm more than satisfied. Maybe if they served Dom Perignon upon boarding or repainted the silly black/blue hull I might feel differently, but until that happens, I'm happy with them, more than happy, in fact. Free drinks: all the espresso you can swallow, and it is excellent, all soft drinks, juices, club soda (if you opt not to pay for sparkling water), lots of tonic water, the list goes on. Gratuities included, no one has his or her hand in your pocket, nickel and diming you to death. The duvets, pillows, mattrasses, bath towels, sheets are pure comfort, morning, noon, and night. So I hope this helps you make a bit more rational, and less emotional, decision. Enjoy your trip, wherever, and with whomever, you sail.

and I do not have the means to sail in a penthouse or suite on any line. I believe the diagram shows the less expensive staterooms on AZ as only having showers. Plus they are the size of the fun ships/RCCL/NCL lower end rooms, yet at a significantly higher price. I am seriously reconsidering the India trip as I do not believe AZ offers good value for the high single supplement fee and final fare. The bathtub thing is a big deal for me. I may have to wait a few years until Crystal returns to India as I do not want to be penalized fare wise for traveling solo!I have gotten used to only 25-35 % add ons in the category staterooms I book on Crystal...Oh well

Many Azamara cruises offer a single supplement of 25% and so attract many single cruisers

It would be nice if they gave notice well in advance so people could start saving for their cruises!

It would be nice if they gave notice well in advance so people could start saving for their cruises!

Hi Haikou,

Here's a list of Azamara's 2013 sailings with the 125% Single promotion : http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/special-offers/savings-singles

I hope this is helpful !

Archived