How do you Commuciate within a group on the ship?

bsjcb2000

On most ships, you can go to the Verandah deck, go all the way forward. Knock on the door that says "Bridge" and tell them to make a shipwide announcment for your whole group to meet you in the lobby.

Yeah, someone try this and tell us how well that works out for you! :D

If you have kids in the reunion group the right age for Camp Carnival, they'll issue you a shipboard cell phone, just like the crew uses. We get one each cruise and they're great for calling the cabin to check who is there.

If you have multiple families with kids, you may be able to get a handful of phones for the group.

This would be useful for our upcoming group cruise. Can you store numbers in them (so you don't have to remember different family member's room numbers)? And do you keep the phone the whole trip or only while your kid is at CampC?

Hmmm, I'm wondering if there is an android equivalent.

On Android the messaging app is limited by your carrier+phone model.

I just tried it with my phones in airplane mode + wifi on and Sprint+my old Samsung S would not deliver the txt until I turned off airplane mode.

I have read that if you have Google Voice integration you can SMS without the carrier 3g/4g restriction. But the question remains is that using a packet type that Carnival's wifi might block if you aren't paying for the full internet service.

There are also SMS over wifi apps one can download from Google Play. I haven't played around with one yet so I couldn't recommend any.

I am definitely going to try to work out a way to do all this with my family before we go (50+ of us, 16 cabins, Iphones and Androids mix). Those of us that still have our Motorola W/T's from our previous family cruise will bring those as well as 'backup'.

If you don't want to pay for the full internet service, Carnival's wifi still allows you access to carnival.com from your devices, so the previous suggestion to use a carnival thread at funville makes sense as a solution that doesn't rely on leaving messages on cabin phones.

I will try to remember to follow up in a few months with our experience.

Tango, Viber, Oovoo and Kakao talk all work on iPhone/Android systems :) we have not tried texting over carnival's wifi but we have Used our ipads to acess the internet and it was sooooo slow. Since we are on different cellphone platforms, we use these apps.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Just off the Magic and we used I messaging for those that have IPhones. We were even able to send I messages to family at home at no cost. Just need to be on Carnival'sWIFI. You can do this even if not on the Internet plan. Phones were in airplane mode.

I'd like to hear more about this as well. Is iMessage an app?

I'd like to hear more about this as well. Is iMessage an app?

iMessage is used within the messaging app of an iPhone. It has to be turned on and set up in Settings ---> Messages. iMessages are sent over WiFi connections.

While cruising or roaming you must make sure your cellular data is turned off Settings--->General--->Cellular or simply by turning on Airplane Mode to avoid network charges.

I can see the powers that be at Carnival trying to figure out how that can block this if it is even possible. It would be great if it works. You could also text but it is 50 cents to send and 5 cents to receive. It wouldn't be bad if only used occasionally. We have used voicemail in the cabin which is OK but not great.

Archived