Portsmouth stay

CruznTom

Any suggestions for an inexpensive hotel or B&B in Portsmouth?

We have 6 days between our RCL TA and return to NY on QM2.

We stayed in Southampton 5 days last year between TAs and would like to try something different.

Tom

depends on your budget/likes/dislikes... there are always budget hotels such as Travelodge and premier inn, although they will lack personal service are usually a basic room, and bed, and not very expensive at all.

i stayed in a travelodge, it wasnt exactly directly in port close the hms victory, if that is what you are looking, you are about 1km walk from there

but its was very inexpensive

there was also space for car wich was what i needed as i was road tripping and i simply drove to the port and parked there

We stayed in Southampton 5 days last year between TAs and would like to try something different.

Tom

Tom, would give the Keppel's Head a look. Located on The Hard in Portsmouth. It's within easy walking distance of the Dockyard/HMS Victory as well as HMS Warrior. A bit 'old' but full of English 'flavour'. Rates included a full English breakfast. Ask for Room 21. The hotel is also next to the Lady Hamilton Pub which provides excellent meal and good beer. Stayed there last year and enjoyed both. Worth a look. When are you sailing...?...

Thanks again for the replies. I checked out Keppel Head previously and couldn't find out if there were 1 bed or 2 and it is almost $200 more expensive for 6 days. (which is not much) Will check out Lady Hamilton Pub.

We sail in a week and arrive in Southampton on April 20.

Tom

I once spent a week in Portsmouth one afternoon :eek:, There are a few things to see and do but there are much nicer towns in which to stay while doing so. Consider Winchester which was the old capital of England and is very historical and only 30 minutes from Southampton and about 1 hour from Portsmouth. Trains run regularly and the return fare is only about £12. Or perhaps Brighton which is a nice seaside town a little further away but only an extra 20 minutes on the train, lots of antiques and little lanes to explore. Once you've seen the Victory, the Submarine Museum, the Spinnaker Tower and the Isle of Wight Ferry terminal your excitement in Portsmouth might start to wane a little.

I once spent a week in Portsmouth one afternoon :eek:, There are a few things to see and do but there are much nicer towns in which to stay while doing so. Consider Winchester which was the old capital of England and is very historical and only 30 minutes from Southampton and about 1 hour from Portsmouth. Trains run regularly and the return fare is only about £12. Or perhaps Brighton which is a nice seaside town a little further away but only an extra 20 minutes on the train, lots of antiques and little lanes to explore. Once you've seen the Victory, the Submarine Museum, the Spinnaker Tower and the Isle of Wight Ferry terminal your excitement in Portsmouth might start to wane a little.

i have to agree that the highlight of Portsmouth is the hms victory and warrior, as a shipbuff myself, this is what made me come to Portsmouth, i went to winchester, if you have a car, its not far, easy to access and well Worth stopping by

Thanks again for the replies. I checked out Keppel Head previously and couldn't find out if there were 1 bed or 2 and it is almost $200 more expensive for 6 days. (which is not much) Will check out Lady Hamilton Pub.

We sail in a week and arrive in Southampton on April 20.

Our room at the Keppel's Head had a double bed. We sail the QM2 WBTA in October. Enjoy the Lady Hamilton. We did! The Capn mentions the Isle of Wight. Visiting is a great idea. Suggest taking the hovercraft for the experience. Enjoy your holiday. Cheers...

Thank you so much for the helpful responses. We aren't as productive as most on our visits. I thoroughly enjoy walking quaint streets and have had a fascination with Portsmouth since reading Charles Dickens as a child. We also love hanging around waterfronts so if we are lucky with some good weather, well have it made. Loved the trip to Winchester last year so may do that again also. Love the idea of hanging with locals at the pub. :D. Thanks again. Brigitte

Yes agree, but personally I would not have 'listed' so many 'sights' to see.

Actually Portsmouth is a very nice place to come from...its just not nice going there.

Thank you so much for the helpful responses. We aren't as productive as most on our visits. I thoroughly enjoy walking quaint streets and have had a fascination with Portsmouth since reading Charles Dickens as a child. We also love hanging around waterfronts so if we are lucky with some good weather, well have it made. Loved the trip to Winchester last year so may do that again also. Love the idea of hanging with locals at the pub. :D. Thanks again. Brigitte

As already mentioned Old Portsmouth has lots of history, good places to eat and drink, walks around the Cathedral and harbour-front areas.

Also, as you enjoyed Winchester, consider a visit to Chichester which is a very pleasant historical city further along the coastline. It is to the east of Portsmouth (opposite direction to Southampton) and will take around 30 minutes by train.

Hope you have a great time.

Archived