Briksdal Glacier

P&O SUE

We are on a cruise to Norway in April. We wanted to do the troll car trip to the Briksdal Glacier but was waiting til nearer the time to see what the weather would be like. However I've just looked at the P&O site and this excursion is now on "waiting list". Can this excursion be arranged ourselves? Can we just book a troll car when we are there?

Thank you for any advice.

Hello Sue,

I am on a Celebrity cruise in July. I have found out there is a local bus at 09.45 from Olden but you cannot book seats. The Troll cars take 77 people at 11.00; 11.45;12.15; 13.00 13.45; 14.15 and more times. It takes about 15 minutes up and then a 800 metres easy walk to the glacier.The cars cost 180NOK return. So you need 90 minutes approx..You can book the cars in advance but you do not know your arrival time.The cruise trips have a monopoly on the coaches but there are refs. to minivans running up to the Briksdale lodge from where the cars depart.The vans cost approx 280NOK per person last year. Look at http://www.oldedalen-skysslag.com

Cheers Roger

We are on a cruise to Norway in April. We wanted to do the troll car trip to the Briksdal Glacier but was waiting til nearer the time to see what the weather would be like. However I've just looked at the P&O site and this excursion is now on "waiting list". Can this excursion be arranged ourselves? Can we just book a troll car when we are there?

Thank you for any advice.

Once you get to the lodge by bus from the pier, there is an office there where you can buy tickets for the troll car. You can pay by credit card or euros. There is also a discount if you have 6 people or more. You don't need to book in advance.

After you get off the troll car, there is about a 10-15 minute walk to the bottom of the glacier; the path is rugged, so take your time to be safe and enjoy the scenery.

Also, re the bus to Briksdal Glacier, you don't need to book in advance either as there is a ticket office at the Tourist info centre on the right immediately as you get off the ship at the pier. That way you can wait until you get there, see what the weather is like before making a decision. This is an extremely scenic area so I do hope you're not fogged in and get a bright sunny day. Awesome.

Hi Sue,

The bus leaves the Lodge at 13.30 to return to Olden.

As you wll be in Olden before us you will be able to give us info. on any minivans you may see and find out if any are bookable in advance .

Cheers Roger

We took the public bus, there is also a bus you can get from the tourist info center and there are mini vans. The public bus was not easy to find, it was unmarked but there were some other folks from our ship who seemed to know where it was. The tourist info center wants to sell you tickets for their bus so they will be no help at all.

If you are in reasonable shape you can walk to the glacier, we got there before anyone else on our bus, including those on the troll cars, and had a few moments of undisturbed peace before everyone else arrived. you can get the troll cars at the glacier without having to pre reserve

I found the forum reply I made when we got back

"We went to Briksdal on the public bus last month, this is definitely something no one wants you to know about but there were at least 20 of us queued up at an unmarked bus stop to do this. It left at 9:45am, cost 90NOK per person ($15US, credit card or cash) and came back at 13:30. That gave us 2 1/2-3 hours to walk up to the glacier and back, I'd guess it took us 45 minutes up. If you think a 45 minute mostly uphill walk is too strenuous, there are troll cars (little motorized vehicles) that can take you to within about 10 minutes on foot from the base of the glacier for a fee. This was my favorite day of the cruise, the scenery all the way over and while we were walking was stunning.

In addition to the public bus, there were at least two companies running minivans, one was 280NOK from the tourism office and the other was Glacier Express costing 250NOK across the street from the tourism office (no credit cards), still beats the cruise ship rates and it's almost exactly the same trip, I think cruise ship passengers get coffee and cake, but really, do you need more food while on the cruise ship?

I don't think Northbay is referring to the public bus, rather those are minivan tours. I went on a regular size bus and it was only 90NOK round trip. Don't expect the tourism office to help you find it, they wouldn't tell us where it was, how much it was and one person tried to tell us it had already left.

According to this the troll cars are 185NOK ($31US)

http://www.nordfjord.no/en/Product/?...iksdal-glacier

I don't think it was necessary to book in advance, it seemed like there were enough options once you got off the ship."

"We went to Briksdal on the public bus last month, this is definitely something no one wants you to know about but there were at least 20 of us queued up at an unmarked bus stop to do this. It left at 9:45am, cost 90NOK per person ($15US, credit card or cash) and came back at 13:30. That gave us 2 1/2-3 hours to walk up to the glacier and back, I'd guess it took us 45 minutes up. If you think a 45 minute mostly uphill walk is too strenuous, there are troll cars (little motorized vehicles) that can take you to within about 10 minutes on foot from the base of the glacier for a fee. This was my favorite day of the cruise, the scenery all the way over and while we were walking was stunning.

In addition to the public bus, there were at least two companies running minivans, one was 280NOK from the tourism office and the other was Glacier Express costing 250NOK across the street from the tourism office (no credit cards), still beats the cruise ship rates and it's almost exactly the same trip, I think cruise ship passengers get coffee and cake, but really, do you need more food while on the cruise ship?

I don't think Northbay is referring to the public bus, rather those are minivan tours. I went on a regular size bus and it was only 90NOK round trip. Don't expect the tourism office to help you find it, they wouldn't tell us where it was, how much it was and one person tried to tell us it had already left.

I don't think it was necessary to book in advance, it seemed like there were enough options once you got off the ship."

I was referring to the local bus. We booked this in advance on the internet through Shore Excursions Norway at a cost of 290 NOK each. The package included the bus transfer to/from Briksdalen, cafe Buffet with coffee or tea at the Briksdalen Lodge, a very nice scenic location and a great place to sample the local sweet fare.

The tourist information office was selling tickets for the same bus at a cost of 250 NOK pp, and an express minivan was even cheaper, and it was not necessary to book in advance. The local bus stop was not marked. We just waited at the side of the road on exiting the ship and the bus stopped and picked us up right there. You don't cross the street when waiting for the bus.

I would not recommend buying tickets in advance for the bus (we visited Olden last year) as it's cheaper purchasing it on the bus, if there are seats available.

This excursion to Briksdalen glacier was a most amazing experience and is worth every penny you pay.

• 2 months later...

Will you give directions to the "unmarked bus stop" for the public bus to the glacier? Do you recall if there was a landmark or building that might ID the bus stop? Did the bus take US currency?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Just back from the Infinity. In Olden I took the ships trip to Lake Loen and the glacier- a walk of 300 yards. On returning to Olden I asked a local person in the office next to the berth about trips by minivan to the Briksdale glacier. He can be contacted at:

frode@briksdalsbne.no

He said he can arrange a minibus trip for a group and the use of the troll cars up to the glacier. He stated that you would have to be off the ship quickly to get up to the cars and glacier before the cruise organised trip. I did not have enough time to ask about price.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Roger

Sorry to butt in on this thread but if anybody has done this trip using the public bus etc are there any lavatories near the glacier.

We went a month or so ago, and yes, there were facilities near the glacier. If my memory serves me right, they were near where the troll cars drop off, so about 15 minutes from the glacier.

I didn't use them, but my other half mentioned that they were... how shall we say this... rustic and unkempt...! :o

There are also facilities in the shops and cafes where the buses/coaches drop off.

We walked the glacier and it took about an hour to get up to it (it's rather steep in places, and we stopped to "admire the view" a few times, a.k.a. stopping myself from becoming a wheezing puddle on the floor!) and about 40 mins to come back down. The cakes in the cafe at the bottom are well worth the effort though...! :)

• 1 month later...

We've just returned from Olden.

As mentioned, the public bus stop is not marked. I will try and explain the best I can.

When on the ship look down onto the berthing area, it's like a parking area between the ship and the main road, the tourist office is to your right.

Look far left, you will see the furthest away entrance, it's the only one with a small sliproad, that's where the bus stops. Do not cross the road, it picks up from the ship side of the road.

The bus then picks up from in the nearby town, outside several shops. There was quite a number of people waiting there, the bus was quite full after that stop.

We got the 09.45 bus to the glacier and the 13.30 one back. (same bus/driver)

It was much cheaper than all other options.

• 4 weeks later...

I was in Olden on September 10 and the local bus to Brikdsal did not run that day.

The Taxi people tried to tell us that at 7 am, but I did not believe them, and a bunch of us lined up at 9, waited until 10, then someone else came by to tell us it was not running this month and we all gave up and took the taxi.

The taxi people disguise this as a "tour", but it is really just 350 kroner for a ride to and from. I think these people are really ripping people off.

Some people I was with did prebook the Troll Car, and when we got there late because of the lake of public bus, they gave them a new booking, no problems. I did not prebook, and initially I was given a reservation for the car that was much later- I was concerned then about getting back to the taxi in time- but somehow I got on sooner and it was not an issue.

I highly recommend the Troll Car unless you are in excellent condition and you have lots of time. The footing would be my main concern, as even the last bit after the Troll Car was pretty difficult for me.

• 2 months later...
We've just returned from Olden.

As mentioned, the public bus stop is not marked. I will try and explain the best I can.

When on the ship look down onto the berthing area, it's like a parking area between the ship and the main road, the tourist office is to your right.

Look far left, you will see the furthest away entrance, it's the only one with a small sliproad, that's where the bus stops. Do not cross the road, it picks up from the ship side of the road.

The bus then picks up from in the nearby town, outside several shops. There was quite a number of people waiting there, the bus was quite full after that stop.

We got the 09.45 bus to the glacier and the 13.30 one back. (same bus/driver)

It was much cheaper than all other options.

Thanks for all of the information on this. Can anyone advise whether there seems to be any problems with the 9:45am bus filling up? I'm wondering whether it is necessary to line up well in advance, or create a backup plan in the event we can't get on the bus.

• 1 month later...

we waited for the 9.45 local bus when visiting in August 2013, The bus arrived and was quite full. it was only able to take about 10 passengers. However the driver called someone and told us to wait as there would be another bus shortly. We waited nervously but sure enough, about 10 mins later another bus appeared!

it would seem that the bus company will put on more busses if there is a demand.

At the Glacier, both busses parked up and waited, plenty of time to walk up to the glacier, take some great photo's and back for souvenirs and ice cream before the bus back to the ship.

I would strongly recommend the local bus as its much cheaper than the ships tours or the port side operators.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

we waited for the 9.45 local bus when visiting in August 2013, The bus arrived and was quite full. it was only able to take about 10 passengers. However the driver called someone and told us to wait as there would be another bus shortly. We waited nervously but sure enough, about 10 mins later another bus appeared!

it would seem that the bus company will put on more busses if there is a demand.

At the Glacier, both busses parked up and waited, plenty of time to walk up to the glacier, take some great photo's and back for souvenirs and ice cream before the bus back to the ship.

I would strongly recommend the local bus as its much cheaper than the ships tours or the port side operators.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thank you Shore Rat!

The Infinity doesn't dock until 10:00AM. Any input as to when the first bus might leave? I think we are the only ship in port that day (8/19).

I'll be taking the same cruise on Infinity in July, a month before you.

I have found, that during the peak season, there are several public buses a day on route between Olden and Briksdal.

I guess we could do the 11.30 bus, arriving at Briksdal at 12.00, returning at 15.15 and arriving back to Olden at 15.45. So, there is still plenty of time before departure at 18.00.

After our return, I'll post on this thread how it worked out for us. :confused:

Ingrid

I'll be taking the same cruise on Infinity in July, a month before you.

I have found, that during the peak season, there are several public buses a day on route between Olden and Briksdal.

I guess we could do the 11.30 bus, arriving at Briksdal at 12.00, returning at 15.15 and arriving back to Olden at 15.45. So, there is still plenty of time before departure at 18.00.

After our return, I'll post on this thread how it worked out for us. :confused:

Ingrid

Thanks Ingrid. Since I'm directionally challenged, if you told exactly how to find the bus, that would be a big help too. Have a great cruise.

Thanks Ingrid. Since I'm directionally challenged, if you told exactly how to find the bus, that would be a big help too. Have a great cruise.

Here is a link to a website with timetable:

http://reise2.fjord1.no/fjord1iisstatictables/tables/ruter-eng/t/14-751.htm

A new timetable will be issued in May, but mainly is the same as this one. At least I red so somewhere in these Northern Europe posts.

Hope it helps a little.

There are mini buses near the shops at the port

They charge a minimum price , we stood at the exit from the port and asked if anyone wanted to go to the glacier and soon had enough to fill the mini bus .

We had enough time to walk to the glacier and then around the visitor centre

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

Seems that there is a great deal of interest in preparing for this port, and what of up to 2,000 passengers going to the same location, each trying for the same bus seat? Reminds me of our port visit at Guernsey where we followed the CC "plan" and took a public bus for a round-the-island tour -- but we were joined by 100s of others with the same "unique plan"! The result was a long wait and buses filled beyond capacity, with the result that one couldn't see out of the windows anyway and the locals or those renting cottages on holiday were greatly inconvenienced by the mob -- Guernsey knew of the ship schedules, and neither took advantage of the opportunity represented or made life any more convenient as well (very much NOT my British experience!).

Just hearing about Olden/Briksdal indicates a predatory approach to tourism that beats our Alaskan ports! Captive audience, prices going up every year. Nobody is talking about the relative effects of global warming and what other glaciers and sightseeing can be accomplished in a 6- or 7-hour visit from Olden? You won't be surprised that Olden is the port in which I am having the most difficulty obtaining replies to my emails (during the winter the office is open at Stryn). Some people mentioned just ask if you are on a ship, when the answer is "yes," they say "see you" and that is the end. (That is, we charge you for a 15 minute ride whatever we want and then you can surround yourself with fellow passengers, etc.)

Am going to what amounts to about outrageous ends to arrange independent group travel to another glacier experience. Currently looking at Jostedal National Park Center and Norwegian Glacier Center-Fjaerland. My assumption is the valley views will also be appreciated.

Just saw a Youtube video from a young Norwegian woman discussing US/Norwegian differences, that include an unwillingness to talk to people you do not know (even among teenagers?). Could be that some people at tourist information centers just are uncomfortable answering emails from people they don't know (sounds silly, I understand). In contrast, the next day for us (Molde) I have made a wonderful "friend" through multiple emails, as well as a private tour for a couple dozen of my new Constellation friends.

Anybody have any experience from Olden that was not to the Briksdal Glacier (or however much of it can be seen in late June 2014)?

DJ:o

• 4 years later...

Hi "In Retirement", can you tell me what you ultimately decided to do in Olden? We will be there next month, and am looking for alternatives to Briksdal Glacier.

Thanks!

Greetings,

Seems that there is a great deal of interest in preparing for this port, and what of up to 2,000 passengers going to the same location, each trying for the same bus seat? Reminds me of our port visit at Guernsey where we followed the CC "plan" and took a public bus for a round-the-island tour -- but we were joined by 100s of others with the same "unique plan"! The result was a long wait and buses filled beyond capacity, with the result that one couldn't see out of the windows anyway and the locals or those renting cottages on holiday were greatly inconvenienced by the mob -- Guernsey knew of the ship schedules, and neither took advantage of the opportunity represented or made life any more convenient as well (very much NOT my British experience!).

Just hearing about Olden/Briksdal indicates a predatory approach to tourism that beats our Alaskan ports! Captive audience, prices going up every year. Nobody is talking about the relative effects of global warming and what other glaciers and sightseeing can be accomplished in a 6- or 7-hour visit from Olden? You won't be surprised that Olden is the port in which I am having the most difficulty obtaining replies to my emails (during the winter the office is open at Stryn). Some people mentioned just ask if you are on a ship, when the answer is "yes," they say "see you" and that is the end. (That is, we charge you for a 15 minute ride whatever we want and then you can surround yourself with fellow passengers, etc.)

Am going to what amounts to about outrageous ends to arrange independent group travel to another glacier experience. Currently looking at Jostedal National Park Center and Norwegian Glacier Center-Fjaerland. My assumption is the valley views will also be appreciated.

Just saw a Youtube video from a young Norwegian woman discussing US/Norwegian differences, that include an unwillingness to talk to people you do not know (even among teenagers?). Could be that some people at tourist information centers just are uncomfortable answering emails from people they don't know (sounds silly, I understand). In contrast, the next day for us (Molde) I have made a wonderful "friend" through multiple emails, as well as a private tour for a couple dozen of my new Constellation friends.

Anybody have any experience from Olden that was not to the Briksdal Glacier (or however much of it can be seen in late June 2014)?

DJ:o

The Loen skylift opened last season, and it offers truly spectacular views. It's only a 5 minute drive from Olden, so it would be easy to reach either from a taxi or a shuttle (Olden adventures runs a shuttle but you might want to price out a taxi also). It is quite gorgeous, but expensive.

We actually visited both attractions while we were in Olden. The Loen skylift was the highlight, and we did the Briksdal glacier in the afternoon. It's a very pleasant drive and hike at the glacier, although you do need to be fully cognizant of the fact that global warming has hit it hard and not be expecting all that much at the end of the hike. I was glad to have experienced both, but someone else might have a better recommendation (I know there's another, less touristy glacier near Olden but I was traveling with a 2 year old and 6 year old so I chose to go to Briksdal since I knew we could use the troll car and there's a lot of transpiration there).