Seville April Festival

We will sailing on the Azamara Quest and will dock in Seville and overnight there. The famous Seville Spring Fair will be going on during our visit. I'm wondering if we can navigate the city on our own using the hop on hop off bus, or do you think it's going to be totally chaotic?

Has anyone been there for the fair? We will be there on a Saturday so I'm a bit concerned that perhaps we should get on an organized tour which is something I had hoped to avoid.

Any other advice for Seville would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

CruiseChick00

Has anyone been there for the fair? We will be there on a Saturday so I'm a bit concerned that perhaps we should get on an organized tour which is something I had hoped to avoid.

CruiseChick00

We are in Cadiz during that week and I would certainly head over if we had your time in port. One good thing actually is that the normal attractions and popular restaurants will not have their usual clientele as they are at the feria. It is quite a site to see.

Did you see the USA Today article this week? http://www.usatoday.com/story/dispatches/2013/03/29/the-annual-april-feria-in-seville-spain-is-a-must-for-those-who-love-to-party/2028395/

I can not find English for the official website but you could use google translate.

http://feriadesevilla.andalunet.com/plano-feria-de-abril-de-sevilla-2012/

There is a bullfight in the afternoon or evening. Can not figure out how to book or if that is even an option now. This is a major social event in Spain.

Last train back is at 21.45 I think.

It is not that bad by Spanish standards. They hang out in one district, that is shown on map. I would guess that would be the peak day. The bull fight is late afternoon I would guess and most will watch it on TV that do not have tickets. I do not know how much congestion the horse and buggies cause. I am not sure if the 'casitas' are private parties or open bars.

The big crowds are into the night and it will be packed around midnight at it's peak I would think.

I have always been in Seville with locals and therefore did not learn everything myself as I was always well taken care of with them knowing exactly where and when to go everywhere.

Yes, Seville will be extremely busy during the Feria. It is held in an area on the southern side of Seville and you can get there easily by public transport. Taxis will be difficult to get and the traffic will be bad, so best to use public transport.

Most of the 'casitas' (marquees) are by invitation only, so unless you know somebody who has invitations you won't be able to get in. However, there will be a couple of public casitas where you pay to go in. Most of the atmosphere will be fairly late, from 22.00 onwards, although some of the horses and buggies do parade during the day.

If you have never seen it before, it is well worth going to.

Archived