P&O Newbuild

gstewart

I have just been looking at photos of Royal Princess and Regal Princess at Monfalcone in Italy. They are reasonably good looking ships. They will both have a horn which plays the theme tune to the Love Boat.

What tune will the new P&O vessel's horn play??? The Archers theme tune maybe!! :D

I have just been looking at photos of Royal Princess and Regal Princess at Monfalcone in Italy. They are reasonably good looking ships. They will both have a horn which plays the theme tune to the Love Boat.

What tune will the new P&O vessel's horn play??? The Archers theme tune maybe!! :D

How about Getaway by the Sterophonics

The theme tune to Keeping up Appearances may be more appropriate.

It would be perfect if it played 'Land of Hope and Glory'. Imagine how funny it would be to look across from another cruise ship and see a load of Brits waving union flags at the Great British Sailaway, while the captain serenades the port with the horn! :D

No, Royal Princess definitely plays the love boat theme. They posted a video of it on their YouTube channel:

Its a dubbed video. It sounds revolting and does not make any sense of any tune at all.

The Disney ships blast "when you wish upon a star":

But to me it still sounds rubbish ships horns aren't meant to be (and aren't) tuneful.For me,the most memorable was the QE2's,I'm sure someone mentioned it was the horn on the Queen Mary originally:

That thing was so fierce it made your fillings rattle!

Its a dubbed video. It sounds revolting and does not make any sense of any tune at all.

It isn't a dubbed video. It was posted on the 26th of March, therefore isn't an April Fool's joke. Also read this article, posted on the 28th: http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2013/03/28/princess-ship-love-boat-horn/2028939/

I do agree it sounds horrible though, a pretty terrible attempt to copy the Disney ships, where it works well.

It isn't a dubbed video. It was posted on the 26th of March, therefore isn't an April Fool's joke. Also read this article, posted on the 28th: http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2013/03/28/princess-ship-love-boat-horn/2028939/

I do agree it sounds horrible though, a pretty terrible attempt to copy the Disney ships, where it works well.

Looks like it is. I do think it sounds shocking and would not want to hear it for real. It would be absolutely embarassing to be on a ship like that makes such a poxy sound. I am suprised Princess is even investing money in creating such a cheap and tacky gimmick.

As far as Disney goes the further away from copying them other cruise lines should stay. Let Disney cater to the kids and families. Other lines should not be trying to be everything to everyone.

Also have you seen the size of this new ship. It is big. 3,600 passengers. That is a lot of people on a ship size not much bigger than Celebrity Solstice class yet they only carry around 2,800 passengers. I was originally optomitic about doing a maiden cruise on this new one with P&O but now seeing it holds 3,600 passengers I think I will keep well away from it.

P&O or rather Carnival seem to pack the passengers in on their new ships. The latest offering will have a passenger/tonnnage ratio of about 40 which is better than the 37 of Azura/Ventura. IMO Those ships have very crowded public areas and always felt too busy compared with the 'old' Oceana with her 38.2 ratio.

It appears that passenger densities are increasing to match P&O's mass market position. Packe em in and rake off the money!

I think the ship will handle the passengers well. Be thankful we aren't getting a Dream class ship like Carnival. Those have an atrocious passenger/GT ratio.

I never really found Ventura crowded at all, apart from on sea days, where she could have done with a bit more open deck space. However there aren't any ships where you could fit every single passenger out on sun loungers. Maybe QM2 may come close, she seems to have acres of blank space outside.

Don't let passenger numbers put you off sailing. It is all about how well the space is used. For example, Independence of the Seas has a passenger/GT ratio of around 37 when full, and that ship handles the amount perfectly. It never feels crowded to me.

I think the ship will handle the passengers well. Be thankful we aren't getting a Dream class ship like Carnival. Those have an atrocious passenger/GT ratio.

I never really found Ventura crowded at all, apart from on sea days, where she could have done with a bit more open deck space. However there aren't any ships where you could fit every single passenger out on sun loungers. Maybe QM2 may come close, she seems to have acres of blank space outside.

Don't let passenger numbers put you off sailing. It is all about how well the space is used. For example, Independence of the Seas has a passenger/GT ratio of around 37 when full, and that ship handles the amount perfectly. It never feels crowded to me.

I was on the Breeze in October last year and I can say that she never felt crowded. Actually a great ship to sail on with a wrap around promenade deck which was never busy. Excellent place to sit in the hot tub and relax. The Cove Balconies on the Dream class are also excellent. You can almost dangle your feet into the water from them.

I think P&O could do alot worse than a Dream class.

Archived