manual wheelchair or electric scooter

I have both, which should I take, I think it would be nice to be able to take my electric scooter but I want to take my wheelchair so I can get to the mdr for dinner, I am going on a 5 day carnival cruise to progreso and cozumel, any help would be appreciated

You can take the scooter in the Main Dining Room....I do it all the time. Once in my seat a waiter will "park" someplace out of the way then bring it back at the end of dinner...."Valet Service" ;)

You can take the scooter in the Main Dining Room....I do it all the time. Once in my seat a waiter will "park" someplace out of the way then bring it back at the end of dinner...."Valet Service" ;)

I was just wondering if you have sailed on carnival, I didn't know if carnival would do the same as the cruise line you sailed on, what about at ports did you and was it feasible to go into the ports and exploreof course i am thinking it might be better to use my manual wc in ports because we are going on buses for our excursions

I was just wondering if you have sailed on carnival, I didn't know if carnival would do the same as the cruise line you sailed on, what about at ports did you and was it feasible to go into the ports and exploreof course i am thinking it might be better to use my manual wc in ports because we are going on buses for our excursions

If full size bus, they have luggage carrier underneath and scooter will fit. So much more independence with a scooter -- would be my choice. V.:)

Take both. Scooter is much easier to use independently around the ship, but due to issues with shore-side accessibility (frequently no curb cuts, a step or two into stores or restaurants, etc.) a manual chair is better ashore. This is what we did with my mother. When boarding the ship and for disembarkation, my father loaded up with manual chair with our carry-ons, my mother drove her power chair, and I was responsible for the travel lift. It worked very well.

I cruise Carnival often, as well as Princess and Royal Caribbean and have used my scooter in the dining room on all lines. But, if my table is close to the front I can walk to my table and park just outside the dining room. Where as my friends who I cruise with always "drive-in" and have the waiters valet their scooters.

We take our scooters into port all the time. The only time we couldn't was on our resent call to Grand Caymen last month. The seas were too rough and they wouldn't allow the handicapped to tender with their scooters for safety reasons.

The Carnival Puerta Maya pier area in Cozumel is VERY scooter friendly....flat and lots of nice shops and be sure to stop in Pancho's Backyard for a GREAT margarita! There are handicapped taxis available if you want to go somewhere on your own like Chankanaab National Park. Here are a few pictures of me and two of my friends also on scooters on the pier in Coz....I am in orange top. It has been along time since I've been to Progresso and I was not using a scooter back then.

COZ+%289%29.JPG

Note that my friend Marilyn's scooter is very large....I call it the ATV of Scooters LOL.

My friend Bill on his scooter in shopping area Cozumel pier.

COZ+%252815%2529.JPG

Here we are enjoying the hospitality of Panchos....tell Marco we sent you :) See our scooters in the background.

COZ+%252816%2529.JPG

I also wanted to add if you don't want to take both the scooter and wc on the trip we have "borrowed" wc from the cruise-line when we throught we couldn't use the scooters....but that is rare....95% of the time we use our scooters.

This is a picture of Bill scootering off a tender in Grand Cayman when seas were calm when we visited in 2009

Nieciez+C%40N%40L+%28383%29.JPG

Take the manual WC in ports. I did this for my Dad, bought him a used folding wheelchair and I used it to push him around the ship and in ports. When we would go on an excursion, whether it be a bus or a taxi, the wheelchair folded nicely and can be put away. Most excusion companies with vans, buses or taxis won't take a scooter unless the vehicle had a lift.

You can take both, use the scooter on the ship and the manual wheelchair in port.

I also wanted to note that our last visit to Cozumel was on Royal Caribbean so we were docked at the International Pier. We had to scooter down the sidewalk along the main street over to Puerta Maya Pier which was about 1/4 or so miles away. the sidewalk areas along the main street were very scooter friendly, at least where we traveled. ;)

Another friend in our group uses a very large power chair and does not use a wc at all. In Cozumel they were able to take a handicapped taxi out to Mr. Sancho's Beach for the day. He did not go in the water o ron the beach out there but had a nice day with friends around the pool and restaurant area.

I always take both. I have MS and use the scooter on the ship and manuel in port. I also bring a cane for transfers. I'm the poster girl for mobility aids! At first I was hesitant about the scooter, but it allows me more freedom, so I'm making peace with it. :)

I always take both. I have MS and use the scooter on the ship and manuel in port. I also bring a cane for transfers. I'm the poster girl for mobility aids! At first I was hesitant about the scooter, but it allows me more freedom, so I'm making peace with it. :)

you take both do you have your significant other or travel buddy push the manual wc while you scooter when you first board the ship, since it is awhile until you are allowed in your cabin, I guess my husband could just load it up with the carryons and push them around LOL

Taking my mother on her first cruise in June for her 72nd birthday! She depends on a rolling walker at all times, trying to decide between a scooter ...rented from Special Needs at Sea....or a transport type wheelchair...or both? Our plans at Cozumel are shopping (she wants to visit Diamonds International) and eating at Ponchos. Love all the posts on here so far...they have been extremely helpful...especially those from Nieciez!!

I take my scooter and my quad cane. as my husbnd is handicapped too we do not like to depend on folding wheel chirs in port if we can do it with our scooters. We actually carry bycyle chains and have chained all 3 scooters together when entering a crowded resturant. I can walk a few steps and with help can step into shops. We hve friends who will push wheel chairs if we can't get off with scooters but we usually mange to see a lot of things with just the scooters. In Alaska many of excursions have purchased lifts for their transfer vehicles.Really enjoy the freedom of geting all around the ship

You can see our smiles in Niecies pictures. Can't wait for the next two cruises.

I take my scooter and my quad cane. as my husbnd is handicapped too we do not like to depend on folding wheel chirs in port if we can do it with our scooters. We actually carry bycyle chains and have chained all 3 scooters together when entering a crowded resturant. I can walk a few steps and with help can step into shops. We hve friends who will push wheel chairs if we can't get off with scooters but we usually mange to see a lot of things with just the scooters. In Alaska many of excursions have purchased lifts for their transfer vehicles.Really enjoy the freedom of geting all around the ship

You can see our smiles in Niecies pictures. Can't wait for the next two cruises.

Thank you so much for the response...I think I may just do the motorized scooter and her walker instead of a transport wheelchair! Thanks again for the response...we are looking forward to the cruise!!!! icon10.gif

Archived