Anyone know of a driver/Sedan in Cork, Ireland?

As we will be docking in Cork City, would anyone have the name and e-mail address of a driver with a Sedan or Van we can hire for the day? We will be on a small ship, so will be docking almost downtown Cork....not Cobh.

Thanking you in advance!

MB

Although we are porting in Cobh, we have hired someone who will take 18 of us on a private tour with pick-up from the ship pier. If you are interrested, you may want to post on the M&M British Isles/Norwegian Fjords Jewel cruise for June 21. Contact: Lorrie

animtink.gif

Celia

"Jewel OTS " 06/04 # 11 & 12

"Brilliance OTS" 04/05 # 13

I was born in Cobh and know of Barry's Taxi/excursions they have been in business over 40 years. Ask for Raymond Barry, I think he runs part of the business, their telephone number is (087)4128465. They are located in the center of the town which is only 15 miles from Cork, they are very dependable, I have used them myself many times. Let him know he was recommended by Anne Twomey. By the way I timed a visit to Cobh when the Jewel docks there early Sept. on her transatlantic run. Let me know if you need any other information.

Sorry I do not know of an email address, however the majority of business in Cobh still uses the old way (phone). Back in the 50's and 60's when transatlantic liners arrived in Cobh harbor weekly, Barrys and Twomeys were the main excursion carriers. Twomeys are no longer in business, the sons of the elder Barry now run the business. Let me know if I can be of help.

Anne ~~~ so very happy you posted! We need your help!!! Many thanks, in advance!

Question? Do you think it would be possible for us to travel down N71 from Cork down and around to Bantry...leaving the dock about 9 a.m......then on our way back, stop in Kinsale for a "pint" and be back at the ship by 5 p.m.? I am e-mailing a "Lorraine" in Cork that works for a Car/Driver company......she said they can provide a 10 passenger van for a day trip........actually we need only seats for 6........what might you suggest?

Thank you again!

MB

Martha...You should have no problem with the time, the one thing you may find different is the driving at the other side of the road and the fact that most of the roads are only two lane. If do have extra time add Gougane Barra to your Bantry trip it is only 15 miles away.

Leaving Bantry via Kealkil and driving through the Pass of Keimaneigh lies Gougane Barra where the river Lee has its sources. It is surrounded on three sides by mountains and the fourth side opens up to the River Valley. It was here in Gougane Barra that St. Finbarr, Patron Saint of Cork, founded his monastery. One thing you should know is that the dock in Cork is almost center city and the traffic gets very busy in the late afternoon.

Anne ~~~thank you so very much for your grrrreat links! My "source" is not very reasonable in cost......so I will certainly get in touch with these two driver/van company's and ask them for a "day" quote!

I have been allll over this area. I love Kenmare, but it's a little too far for our day "jaunt".......we'll probably go the coastal route to Bantry and back thru' Kinsale......

Again, many thanks for your kind help!

MB

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Images:

We are using Johncaltours@aol.com for our tour from Cobh and another source is claymore@btinternet.com

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lorrie: Could you please recheck your tour info for Cobh? Both of the contacts you listed above are based in Scotland, not Ireland.

For anybody interested in Scotland though, the listed e-mail contacts are associated with www.caledonian-heritage-tours.co.uk/index.html and www.btinternet.com/~claymore/index.html .

Happy cruising! icon_smile.gif

Bill

Coming Attractions:

8/23/04 Royal Princess, 12 Day British Isles/Western Europe

3/6/05 Legend of the Seas, 11 day Ensenada to Honolulu

3/17/05 Legend of the Seas, 10 day Honolulu to Ensenada

[This message was edited by captbill on 05-05-04 at 01:52 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by moya:

Lorrie,

Do you have a web site for these folks?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not Lorrie, but I listed those websites in the post directly above yours. Unfortunately (or not) they are for Scotland tours, not Ireland.

Happy cruising! icon_smile.gif

Bill

Coming Attractions:

8/23/04 Royal Princess, 12 Day British Isles/Western Europe

3/6/05 Legend of the Seas, 11 day Ensenada to Honolulu

3/17/05 Legend of the Seas, 10 day Honolulu to Ensenada

• 4 weeks later...

Just heard from Easytourscork and bad news! They will not be back to Cork until 6:00 PM which she said would not be in time for us to get back to the ship.

It was a great sounding itinerary too. They do have a shorter tour, but not for Friday, the day we will be there.

So now I'm looking for transport for 4 or 6 people. We want to look around Cobh and then Kinsale. Has anyone had any luck with finding something?

Please contact me at Brahmama@yahoo.com. Since the board is going in for a "fix" tomorrow - sometimes it takes longer than anticipated. (Kind of like having a building constructed!)

thanks,

Brahmama....If you get this before the board goes down take a look further up in the thread where I listed the name of a Company in Cobh. Their name is Barry's of Cobh and I think I listed their telephone number.

Sorry about posting the Scotland companies I contacted and are using instead of the Ireland one. So many ports....

In Cork we are using Neil Hogan of westcorktours@eircom.net. He runs daily tours to Blarney Castle and Kinsale from Cork. We had enough people to fill his minibus, so he is picking us up at the port and doing the tour privately for us the day we dock.

Lorrie

Ok, (finally) I have a tour working out!

If you are sailing on the Constellation on 9/7/04 and are interested in sharing a bus with us, please email me ASAP.

We will have an 18 passenger bus - would like to have 10 possibly 12 people. He will pick us up and return us to the pier and the price will be (with 10 people) 35 Euro each for the day. Admissions, lunch, etc extra.

No smoking on bus. Happy, flexible, positive people only, please!!!

Brahmama@yahoo.com

• 8 years later...

Archived