SFO Park & Cruise Hotel

tahoe782

• 3 weeks later...

I was just searching this thread for a possible answer to this too. Since not many cruises leave from San Francisco, it seems there aren't a lot of posts about the port. We've done a sleep park fly from the SFO airport, but that's too far from the port to make it worthwhile, it would be a pretty expensive taxi ride on top of your hotel/parking fees. Hopefully others who have driven to port can post some info that would be helpful.

As I see nobody seems to be answering this one, I'll jump in and try to give as good an explanation as I can...

I don't know of any!

Parking in San Francisco, especially in the areas close to the port, is at such a premium that I doubt ANYONE is going to be willing to give you any sort of inexpensive package deal that would allow you to use up a hotel's prime (and needed) parking spots for the length of a cruise. The hotels are typically "underparked" and need those spots for the then current guests...If they do have extras, they can rent them out by the day or hour for a premium...Most hotels in San Francisco don't even give out free parking DURING your stay...We've paid as high as $60 per night in addition to our high hotel rates just to park the car...

So, if you are driving to meet a cruise in San Francisco, my best advice is to either find a hotel near the airport or across the bay in, perhaps, Walnut Creek or Pleasanton or somewhere near a BART line, that DOES give you an option for extended free parking...and take the BART into the City (Financial District somewhere--perhaps Embarcadero) and get a cab from there...OR...Stay in San Francisco, then, the morning of the cruise, drop off your luggage at the pier, drive somewhere outside the city where there's a long term BART Park and Ride lot, leave the car and take BART back...OR just bite the bullet and pay the high parking rates...

Thanks for some good advice Steve! It isn't so much the parking rates that concern me, but everything I have read about the horrible traffic around the pier area during embarkation/disembark. One of the things that was exciting to me about driving to port (besides not having to pay airfare!) was not having to be as limited in my packing, so I don't relish the idea of shlepping luggage onto BART. Some good ideas there though, and I'm sure we'll figure something out.

Archived