Booking via Carnival.com

Zippy99

As a UK resident and a Carnival VIFP member, I'm bombarded with offers from the US .com site and occassionaly by the .co.uk site. The differences being that .com is in dollars and noticeably cheaper (despite the currency conversion, they also give better cabin upgrades), than the .co.uk site. There doesn't seem to be anything preventing me from booking via the .com site, but there is a difference in small print attached to the pricing on the .com site that you don't see on the .co.uk site and that relates to the price of a barrel of oil. It says 'The company reserves the right to re-instate the fuel supplement for all travelers at up to $9 per person per day if the NYMEX oil price exceeds $70 per barrel'. As a price of barrel is currently around $94 today. Does anybody know if this clause has ever been applied to their booking after they've paid their money for their cruise?

It has not been invoked by Carnival (or other cruise lines, as they all have something similar) for a few years. For awhile, when gas prices first skyrocketed, the cruise lines were charging this, but then they all got away from it. I think

they all have the disclaimer that it could be reinstated at any time.

Archived