Viking Chateaux, Rivers & Wine

vcgeno

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone explain the "tipping" policy? I read in one of the Cruise Reviews (think it was point #9 in a review by a disappointed cruiser) that according to French law service gratuities are included in the posted price and one merely "tops up" to reward exceptional service. Is this true or is it just a cranky scrooge review point?

Can anyone explain the "tipping" policy? I read in one of the Cruise Reviews (think it was point #9 in a review by a disappointed cruiser) that according to French law service gratuities are included in the posted price and one merely "tops up" to reward exceptional service. Is this true or is it just a cranky scrooge review point?

Itchyfeet your profile does not say what country you are from? Maybe if you purchase your cruise from a French Tour Company, your a French citizen the cruise you purchased is all inclusive....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Itchyfeet your profile does not say what country you are from? Maybe if you purchase your cruise from a French Tour Company, your a French citizen the cruise you purchased is all inclusive....

Itchyfeet - gratuities are included as a part of the total Restaurant bill in France.... You can top that up if you want.

The guy who wrote the Review seemed to think ( my opinion) that because the cruise was in France that the Gratuities were required by French law to be covered in the total price.of the cruise.

I think he was not happy and was looking for anything to complain about. Clearly this River Cruise did not include Tips for North American cruisers anyway and that is clearly spelled out in the Contract you agree to when booking the cruise.

Towards the end of the cruise you are given a sheet with the suggested amounts for tipping and to whom they go. When you settle your bill for any extras such as tours, drinks, etc., you are asked what you'd like to tip. I didn't feel any pressure and felt that I could tip or not and whatever amount I wanted.

Towards the end of the cruise you are given a sheet with the suggested amounts for tipping and to whom they go. When you settle your bill for any extras such as tours, drinks, etc., you are asked what you'd like to tip. I didn't feel any pressure and felt that I could tip or not and whatever amount I wanted.

We're just back from our Bordeaux cruise. The tipping information was not given out at the end, but on our Thursday debarkation talk we were referred to the booklet we received with the tickets in the mail before the cruise. Fortunately I had tossed it in my suitcase. Maybe they would have a copy at the front desk on request. We could easily add tips onto our account, but gave cash personally to a few staff members.

As for "cranky"... ya. Viking is geared primarily for a U.S. demographic, and that aspect of French law doesn't really apply here.

-alice

We're leaving today for Dublin. We'll be in Paris 6/30 and onto our cruise 7/5. A word about travel documents. Ours came just yesterday from Marriott, our travel agent. If you have a distant travel agent, you can request through them that Viking send your documents directly to you (instead of via the agent). This is only important if you are leaving your home 11 days early, as we are.

Looking forward to sharing our experiences with you. The cruise seems to have come a long way since it's inception with many positive changes! Can't wait!!

Leaving in a couple of hours for our June 28 cruise. We are spending an extra day in Bordeaux to rest up before the cruise. So excited and just had a nice glass of french wine at the airport to get us off to a great start.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Magellan2022 and Le bn vin ~ have a fantastic cruise!!! And PLEASE come back with reports, comments, suggestions - many of us will be waiting to hear more about this cruise!!

Personally, we're meeting this weekend with he couple traveling with us to begin making specific plans, especially for our pre-cruise week in Paris!! So any info you can add will be greatly appreciated!!!

And, YES!!, I agree that this cruise seems to have "matured" during the past weeks, just like a good wine!!! Hope it continues that way!!! (sure Viking also hopes so!!)

Thinking of you Le Bon Vin, as you are enjoyimg Bordeaux and startng your cruise! We've been drinking wines from Bordeaux, starting at JFK and here in Dublin. Really enjoying Dublin City. We fly to Paris on Monday. FotoPeg, I'll keep you posted. It will be our first time in Paris together, so hope for some special memories!

Jackie

Magellan2022 ~ we just came back from Ireland on June 19th - spent 4 fablous days in Dublin plus other time traveling around - found my Great-Great-Grandparents grave in mayo!! Had a wonderful time and great weather!!

Hope you time in Paris IS special - we were there for 4 days in 2012 but just not enough time!! This pre-trip we're in an apartment for a week - hoping to get a real French experience!!!!

Hi all, as luck would have it, we arrived during the Festival des vins, that's the wine festival. We spent two days sampling the wines of Bordeaux, even before we boarded the ship. It was amazing. So first night, great dinner and really great company. We are off to our night time visit to Bordeaux. So far, all positive.

Le bon Vin ~ sounds wonderful - great time to be in Bordeaux!!!!

I understand that - on Monday, I think - there are visits and wine tastings and groups go to different Chateaux. I've gotten the names of 2: Lynch-Bages and Chateau Giscours. I've love to know the names of the others if you could find out!

Thanks much!!!

Le bon Vin ~ sounds wonderful - great time to be in Bordeaux!!!!

I understand that - on Monday, I think - there are visits and wine tastings and groups go to different Chateaux. I've gotten the names of 2: Lynch-Bages and Chateau Giscours. I've love to know the names of the others if you could find out!

Thanks much!!!

We went to Château Prieuré-Lichine. I don't know the name of the fourth one.

Hello fellow future cruisers. This is a great cruise and the staff and food ( and wines) are absolutely wonderful. There has been a slight change in our itinerary but we still get to do everything just not in the same order. The tides and French maritime law really rule the waters but i think they have smoothed out all the wrinkles. We are having a wonderful time and would not change a thing. We did the optional Chateau Siaurac excursion today and it was great. The truffle one also received rave reviews from our fellow passengers. Tonight the crew celebrated Canada Day with us with a special cocktail party, a nice touch to make us feel welcome and special.

Edited by Le bon vin

We just got back from the Portraits of Southern France last night (Viking Heimdal).

As we checked out, a new assistant manager came on duty and I asked him directly what he recommended.

For 2 of us, he suggested 168 Euros. I gave a little more than that because I thought the service was so good.

Garrett

Hi FotoPeg,

To answer your question, we also went to Chateau Prieuré Lichine. I think all of us went there, just at different times. I did not hear of any other visits. You will although see all the grand Chateaux of this region but you will not be visiting. Just pictures, i have included a sampling.ImageUploadedByForums1404301988.329731.jpg.a85967d1946928cc85fb596fe1d0ff6c.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1404301874.717719.jpg.5cfc9443bddb1094ddbd8f5a8327580f.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1404301918.533380.jpg.b17342039b545c3fccba34928bc2c1b2.jpg

We're in the final planning stage for our upcoming Loire Valley/Bordeaux trip. Many thanks to all who have gone before for sharing some terrific experiences and tips. Hopefully, we will be able to reciprocate!

We leave on July 15, just in time to celebrate our 32nd w/a in Paris on the 16th - meeting two friends from the UK that we met on our first River cruise (Portraits of Southern France) in 2007.

Counting them down now! Happy 4th to all!