Viking Chateaux, Rivers & Wine

vcgeno

I agree with your suggestion FotoPeg. We signed up for the optional tours we absolutely wanted to do when we boarded the ship. Although they kind of laughed at us, I'm glad we did. Some people on our ship waited until the last minute to sign up for the Siurac Chateau and wine tasting, and were not able to go as the busses were full. I know the Cognac tour was not full (28 I think I remember) and the Truffle tour only had 16 but the tour went anyway (Viking originally said they had to have 20 sign up in order for the tour to go). If you're not sure and really don't care, it doesn't matter, but if it's something you really want to do, don't let any grass grow under your feet!

As I found out when I call Viking to inquire about booking optional tours early another reason to wait until you get there is that you have to pay for the tour in full when you make your reservation and if you purchased trip insurance you have to pay an increased insurance fee to cover the optional tour. Based on what we have read here it appears we a safe waiting.

As I found out when I call Viking to inquire about booking optional tours early another reason to wait until you get there is that you have to pay for the tour in full when you make your reservation and if you purchased trip insurance you have to pay an increased insurance fee to cover the optional tour. Based on what we have read here it appears we a safe waiting.

Wow! That's an amazing story. It won't be long before Viking charge you extra just to talk to them. :rolleyes:

Sorry - I guess I didn't explain correctly. What I'm suggesting is to sign-up for the optional tour ASAP when you arrive at the ship - most probably the list opens about the time the CD gives the pre-dinner talk the first evening.

And I don't think Viking will even allow you to pre-trip book tours.

When you think about it, the insurance really makes sense - anything you add - tours, transfers, etc. - to your trip is covered so the cost will go up.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's talked to fellow passengers on a cruise - river or ocean - who have no real idea of the cities/towns they'll be visiting or the tours offered. Its just their way of traveling not to prepare. Others like me - on CC - enjoying knowing about every little detail beforehand - I SO enjoy preparing for a trip! I'm just suggesting that - at times optionals DO fill up - so, once on board, sign-up early for the one(s) you really want to take!

We on CC have such an advantage knowing SO much about the trips we're taking so use that knowledge!!

Sorry - I guess I didn't explain correctly. What I'm suggesting is to sign-up for the optional tour ASAP when you arrive at the ship - most probably the list opens about the time the CD gives the pre-dinner talk the first evening.

When you think about it, the insurance really makes sense - anything you add - tours, transfers, etc. - to your trip is covered so the cost will go up.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's talked to fellow passengers on a cruise - river or ocean - who have no real idea of the cities/towns they'll be visiting or the tours offered. Its just their way of traveling not to prepare. Others like me - on CC - enjoying knowing about every little detail beforehand - I SO enjoy preparing for a trip! I'm just suggesting that - at times optionals DO fill up - so, once on board, sign-up early for the one(s) you really want to take!

We on CC have such an advantage knowing SO much about the trips we're taking so use that knowledge!!

FotoPeg,

I am a fellow detailed planner. Develop a notebook prior to each trip with dividers for each port. Gather options for doing things on our own vs. what the ship offers and file in THE NOTEBOOK. Makes it easier to find info when my husband has a question about the trip, and develop a plan that enables us not to miss opportunities for unique experiences. Also, my husband does an annual travel photo book as a recap of our travels for the year and the notebook helps him with the details.

River cruises do require less collection of ideas for independent port exploration, so get to focus more on the smaller details to be sure to check into while on the ships tours.

Would love to know any planning and organizational tips you are willing to share.

Nope I understood what you were saying. I got an email from Viking suggestion I book the tours before the trip. I thought I would call the number given and book it early just to avoid the rush a couple of you had mentioned. I had expected to pay up front, and I may just be a cheapskate, but it seemed a bit harsh that they would not let you cancel the optional tour, especially since they let folks sign up after arrival. Not a huge deal just thought I would pass along the info. I am going to take your advice and sign up after arrival.

I've been following the discussion on pre booking optional tours. Our trip is next week on the 24th. I called Viking a few days ago to pre book a tour and was told that once you have your travel documents you can not book but must wait until you are onboard. I'm not 100% certain of this but I think you can per book up until 2 weeks before your trip. I called when I was 10 days out so was out of luck.

I called Viking a couple months ago to book an optional tour (Siurac) and was told that since I booked the cruise through a travel agent I needed to go through them to book any tours before boarding. I called my TA and was able to book this tour. Will call him on Monday just to reconfirm.

Maliboo.....Have a wonderful cruise. Looking forward to hearing about your experience.

Rose

My questions are answered. thank you. I will be sure to note where our return bus is located. I do not have the remotest sense of direction and can get turned around easily especially when the streets are windy. Something similar happened to us in Bath and I was very worried that I would miss the bus back to London. It was truly scary.

I always take a photo of where the guide tells us to meet and I write down the location and time in a small coil book.

Then if I get lost, my reasoning is that I would show the photo (from my digital camera, iPhone or iPad depending on what I used) to someone and have the note of 'in front of Tabanac Pub 2pm' to ask for help.

I never needed it, but always glad I had it.

Many times we have come off a bus, listened to the talk, gotten busy taking pics and not really paying close attention to where we are. Taking the photo of the meeting place makes me pay closer attention to WHERE and WHEN and not getting too swept away in the moment of seeing, for instance, the Cologne Cathedral and going 'OMG I gotta get in there NOW' and losing my sense of direction.

just my two cents worth of advice :)

That taking a picture of the spot is brilliant! Why didn't I think of that five years ago? Could have saved aggravation lol

I would love to take full credit for this brilliant idea but I learned it from a youngun nephew who was a world traveler.

When digital cameras first came out and he was wandering somewhere in Korea I think, he had the foresight to have taken a photo of where he needed to be and showed it to someone to 'ask' for help. :confused:

No English spoken so it was a god send and I thought 'aHa! I'm going to remember that trick!'

I always take a photo of where the guide tells us to meet and I write down the location and time in a small coil book.

Then if I get lost, my reasoning is that I would show the photo (from my digital camera, iPhone or iPad depending on what I used) to someone and have the note of 'in front of Tabanac Pub 2pm' to ask for help.

I never needed it, but always glad I had it.

Many times we have come off a bus, listened to the talk, gotten busy taking pics and not really paying close attention to where we are. Taking the photo of the meeting place makes me pay closer attention to WHERE and WHEN and not getting too swept away in the moment of seeing, for instance, the Cologne Cathedral and going 'OMG I gotta get in there NOW' and losing my sense of direction.

just my two cents worth of advice :)

What a wonderful idea. Several years ago on a bus tour in Ireland our guide told us we were at some library and should meet there a certain time. Coming back NO ONE in the area knew of the library even though we were sooo close. A picture would have done the trick. Will be sure to do it our cruise.

remydiva...Perfect!....Thank-you for sharing

Wow....i sure feel the love!

I am so glad my quirky habit might prove comforting and helpful to my fellow CCers. Glad to share as i know how often I have picked up tips here.

Happy travels to all!

Hi, I was told that there's usually if not always enough room on the Chateau Suiarac tour for anyone who wants to go. On our trip, there was a group of wine buffs from the West Coast traveling together and they all wanted to go, knocking out the usual proportion of passengers on the tour. The ship's fabulous program director was able to work out an expansion of the group with the Chateau's owner, who was quite flexible. The thing is -- even with three buses instead of two we never once felt crowded or rushed. Well done.

Carolyn

I've been following the discussion on pre booking optional tours. Our trip is next week on the 24th. I called Viking a few days ago to pre book a tour and was told that once you have your travel documents you can not book but must wait until you are onboard. I'm not 100% certain of this but I think you can per book up until 2 weeks before your trip. I called when I was 10 days out so was out of luck.

Hi, I was told that there's usually if not always enough room on the Chateau Suiarac tour for anyone who wants to go. On our trip, there was a group of wine buffs from the West Coast traveling together and they all wanted to go, knocking out the usual proportion of passengers on the tour. The ship's fabulous program director was able to work out an expansion of the group with the Chateau's owner, who was quite flexible. The thing is -- even with three buses instead of two we never once felt crowded or rushed. Well done.

Carolyn

That's good to hear. May we ask if the ship's staff knew you were an editor at CC? Because if so your experience might not be similar to the average Joe.

That's good to hear. May we ask if the ship's staff knew you were an editor at CC? Because if so your experience might not be similar to the average Joe.

I will be interested in knowing as well...

While on our Dec/Jan 2013 Danube cruise, we met a solo traveler who admitted they were a cruise travel writer (not for CC). We asked him if the crew knew he was going to be writing about his experience and he said he had not made them aware of who he was.

BUT he said, in his experience, they usually were pretty astute in picking out who was travelling alone and therefore who 'might' be a travel writer. :rolleyes:

Since he traveled a lot, his wife was not able to accompany him on most trips.

Edited by remydiva

I have two questions:

I know this has been discussed before but I can't remember the answer. How many outlets are in the cabins that are available for US voltage, current, whatever?

And, how do you go about printing out your boarding passes at the end of the trip? I was thinking there must be a huge rush with everyone leaving at the same time.

thank you.

Hi, Got2Cruise, yes, Viking River knew I was onboard. I kept (as I always do) a careful eye, though, on other passengers and how they were being treated, and made a point to connect with a variety of folks onboard, via cocktails in the lounge, tours, dinners at communal tables. You learn a lot, as well, by eavesdropping :)

Sometimes I travel on my own, sometimes I travel with my husband (who's editor of a cruise industry business publication called Cruise Business Review). Either way, the most important thing you can do as a cruise journalist is to listen....

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

Edited by editor@cruisecritic

I have two questions:

I know this has been discussed before but I can't remember the answer. How many outlets are in the cabins that are available for US voltage, current, whatever?

And, how do you go about printing out your boarding passes at the end of the trip? I was thinking there must be a huge rush with everyone leaving at the same time.

thank you.

I cant recall how many US outlets..some one will no doubt have a pic...but there were enough for our needs ie. ipad and computer.

As far as printing boarding passes, I always travel with a " thumb drive" ie. a mini stick that fits into my netbook USB port.

After I check in online, i save my boarding pass to a folder ( rather than print) onto the thumb drive, then took it to the passenger desk on the ship where they inserted my thumb drive into their computer and printed our boarding passes on their office computer.

I ended up doing this for all four couples in our travel group as no one else thought of it.

And because we travel with carry on ONLY, we bypassed the long line ups at 5 am in budapest at check in and just walked to the gate lounge area, boarding pass in hand. :D

Hi, MalibooNew York. There were several US outlets, on the desk and one by one side of the bed (the latter actually didn't seem to work though we forgot to mention it). There were plenty of outlets, though; just bring an adapter and you can use 'em all.

You can send your boarding pass via email to the concierge but we frankly didn't bother. We got ours when we checked in at the airport....

Carolyn

I have two questions:

thank you.

Brilliant, remydiva. This two decade-plus travel writer never thought of that :D

Carolyn

I would love to take full credit for this brilliant idea but I learned it from a youngun nephew who was a world traveler.

When digital cameras first came out and he was wandering somewhere in Korea I think, he had the foresight to have taken a photo of where he needed to be and showed it to someone to 'ask' for help. :confused:

No English spoken so it was a god send and I thought 'aHa! I'm going to remember that trick!'

Thanks for the quick response about the outlets.

@Remy. It sounds like a brilliant solution but I am not tech savvy at all. For example, my cell phone is a $14.99 flip phone from Tracfone. There must be people like me who need to print boarding passes the old fashioned way. Can that be done on board, easily and in advance or do you have to wait until the airport?