Bringing Bottled Water on Board

Surfgirl

I know you can bring bottled water on board. I've done it in the past, but would put the bottles in my suitcase (which got REALLY heavy.)

Am I allowed to bring an unopened case of Evian? Would it ever get to my room? Or should I just pack it in my suitcases as before?

Evian is all I drink... and I drink a lot of water every day. (wondering if Bermuda has Evian???)

I am 99.99% sure that you will be fine bringing bottled water onboard, no matter how you do it. I've read about people bringing cases onboard by themselves and others checking it dockside with the case labeled with their cabin info.

I am 99.99% sure that you will be fine bringing bottled water onboard, no matter how you do it. I've read about people bringing cases onboard by themselves and others checking it dockside with the case labeled with their cabin info.

Thanks, John!

I have brought my own case of water on three of my five cruises. The first time the entire case made it to my cabin. The second time, four bottles were missing from that tightly wrapped shrink plastic. The third time, well let's just say I'm still waiting for that case of water. I would advise you to bring it in your carry-on if you can carry that much weight on your shoulder. Best of luck to you, and have a great cruise.

I know you can bring bottled water on board. I've done it in the past, but would put the bottles in my suitcase (which got REALLY heavy.)

Am I allowed to bring an unopened case of Evian? Would it ever get to my room? Or should I just pack it in my suitcases as before?

Evian is all I drink... and I drink a lot of water every day. (wondering if Bermuda has Evian???)

I can't remember if Bermuda has Evian but I'm sure you could check that on-line. Evian website?

You can tape your luggage tags to the cases and hope they get to your room or carry them on yourself. Good Luck and enjoy your cruise.

We always bring our water. We pack it in zip lock bags and put it in between our clothes in our checked luggage. The bottles have never gotten busted by hitting the sides of the suitcase with all the other luggage piled on and we do not have to carry it.

Yes, you can get Evian in Bermuda -- but why bother leaving home in the first place if you want to bring so much of it with you? Ship's drinking water is excellant. - They provide bottled water in cabins (at a fairly steep price)

If you insist on your somewhat silly affectation and hold out for Evian and only Evian, you could wrap the case in brown paper and slap a luggage tag on it.

Yes, you can get Evian in Bermuda -- but why bother leaving home in the first place if you want to bring so much of it with you? Ship's drinking water is excellant. - They provide bottled water in cabins (at a fairly steep price)

If you insist on your somewhat silly affectation and hold out for Evian and only Evian, you could wrap the case in brown paper and slap a luggage tag on it.

Why is it on this forum, whenever a poster asks a question, writes a review, or gives their opinion... someone feels they must get sarcastic and nasty?

I'm sorry you feel that the fact I care about what I put in to my body is a "silly affection." I drink Evian water because I like the taste better than any other water. I also am very careful what I put in to my body. I do the majority of my food shopping at Whole Foods, and try to buy organic when I can. I do not want to drink from an unknown source. Many bottled waters are actually more contaminated than plain tap water.

As for the ship's water-- again-- unknown source. It is most likely tap water-- which probably contains flouride, chlorine, and other things I don't care to pollute my body with. And, who knows what's in the storage tank and the pipes it goes through....

Thank you to everyone else who was nice enough to reply. After reading all of the posts, I think I'm going to pack my bottles of water in my suitcase, and buy whatever else I need in Bermuda.

Now... can we please play nice on this forum and stop insulting one another?

:mad:

Surfgirl, my last cruise was just before I was scheduled for surgery. My doctor told me I was not to drink the ship's water because he didn't want to end up having to reschedule my surgery because of my getting sick. I agree with you about bringing my own water onboard. Our next cruise I may take a hiker water microfilter that filter any water into perfect drinking water. It would be alot lighter than the bottles of water and I could just filter the tap water.

We carried on two gallon jugs of water. I was asked whether they contained alcohol. Of course not, that was hidden elsewhere. Besides, I'd never need a gallon of rum or vodka. If it was a large group we were sailing with--perhaps.

Besides, after we realized the Dawn had 2 for 1 drinks in the bars after 11pm, we started buying in bulk and keeping the beer nice and cold in our refrigerator. No need to bring on your own booze on Norwegian.

2 for 1 after 11:00. I hope they have that same special on the Crown. I love bloody marys and all I would have to do is get them with no ice for overnight and then add ice and enjoy them in the AM. WOOHOO!! Now I can drink twice as much.

Surfgirl, thank you. I'm getting there. The water filters I speak of can even purify creek or river water. They are 11 oz. and only 6 1/2 inches high. I got mine for $49.95 (I hadn't shopped for prices so they may even be cheaper) and they produce 1 quart a minute and each filter is good for 200 gallons. My doctor told me about it.

I definitely vote for water filters! Water filters are reusable infinitely (you only buy a new filter). They don't fill the world with more plastic - they don't harm the environment with the gas used to transport water bottles around on ships and trucks.

I don't like to pick on Evian. All bottled waters are pretty suspect because they draw from ground sources but often go through far less filtering than municipal systems have. I know Daisini and Aquafina come from non-pristine sources, and I am pretty sure that Evian bought in the US comes from US sources. Only the Evian sold in Europe comes from the French spring. It's of course notoriously difficult to get any solid documentation of this because the bottled water companies protect their reputation so avidly. You have to resort to friends with cameras who live in the region, to see the trucks and track where they go. The friends then get threatened for taking the photos.

In any case, I live on well water and near natural springs - and believe me, I filter those. You can easily get arsenic and heavy metals from natural springs :) In fact an entire block of central Massachusetts is known as the "arsenic belt" because of the problems with their ground / spring water.

Bottled water composition chart -

http://www.uhl.uiowa.edu/newsroom/research/bottledWater.html

Evian (9001683, at the bottom) has barium, chlorine, nitrates, sulfates, plus radionuclides and microbiological components. That's why I use a filter :)

So my short answer is I highly recommend getting a filter, vs lugging bottled water around with you or paying high fees on board. Even if you just carry it on to save money, there's always the chance it'll burst open in transit and damage other peoples' luggage. I have friends that has happened to. But I don't mean to bash here. If you do have to carry on water, please be VERY very cautious about how you pack it so that you don't damage anybody else's luggage. This could be someone's once-in-a-lifetime honeymoon you are interfering with.

I had no idea I was going to spark yet another debate, just asking if I could carry on a box of water :eek:

Filters have to be disposed of, and end up in the same land fill as the plastic bottles. Filters also have to be delivered by truck, which use gas which pollutes the environment. And... filters are full of germs!

I personally would rather Evian came in glass bottles.. but it doesn't. I have no control over that.

Water filter devices are just as random as bottled water. They don't catch all pollutants or toxic substances.

Brita, for example, does NOT remove cysts, THMs, VOCs, Lindane, Alachlor, Atrizine, Benzine, TCE, or MTBE. About all it does it remove cholorine and lead.

Most filters remove essential minerals.

I'm curious as to which filter you use? I'll then be able to tell you all the things your filter does NOT remove (such as the trace materials you said are in Evian.)

Evian contains essential nutrients including calcium, magnesium and potasium. It is also bottled at Cachat Springs, Evian, France.. not in the US. And, if you read the NRDC's test results, you'll see Evian scored quite well. http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/bw/appa.asp

I don't know about you but all of this is much more than I wanted to know about this. What I do know is that you can bring water/soda aboard without problem. Personally I bring enough bottles and refill them at the buffet(although you shouldn't do that either beause you can contimate the spigot)...you know that you can have water toxicity if you drink too much water...everything in moderation....

Surfgirl, I agree with you about the filters not being better than most bottled water. I use it because it's easier to take on the ship and because I find myself needing a refill when running in the mountains on hot summer days. I just filter the creek water. I buy Deer Park bottled water when camping in the RV because I like holding the 16oz bottle. At home we have well water that I drink without any added filters or softeners and it is absolutely wonderful. If you like Evian water than that's what you should drink. The only reason my doctor didn't want me to drink the ship's water last time is because of chemo my resistance was low and more apt to react to everything and he really didn't want to postpone my surgery. I had my hand filter so now I just use it. Anyway, we are way off subject. You have a good time and think about taking the filter with you. It is only 6 1/2 inches tall and at 11 oz. much easier to carry than bottled water. You can get them at most sporting good stores. Have a wonderful trip.

Surfgirl, thank you. I'm getting there. The water filters I speak of can even purify creek or river water. They are 11 oz. and only 6 1/2 inches high. I got mine for $49.95 (I hadn't shopped for prices so they may even be cheaper) and they produce 1 quart a minute and each filter is good for 200 gallons. My doctor told me about it.

You're talking about these right?

http://www.rei.com/category/4500462.htm

Yup, they work well to make clean water :)

Just back from POA and we stayed at the Marriott pre-cruise - booked through NCL. On the bus trip to the pier we were told by an emplyee of NCL to buy our ater at Walmart because it is "much cheaper" than what WE sell it for! I did see many people bringin on cases of water with no problem. You just can't bring an opened bottle aboard. Not sure if they are concerned about contaminants or that it might be Vodka!

Archived