Planning Picnic Lunches in OWM in Moorea...Is this realistic?

josassoc

We are staying precruise at the Intercontinental Moorea, in an OWB for five days and I realize the food costs in FP are exorbitant. But my DH and I aren't big lunch eaters...in fact I have a hard time getting him to eat properly anyway. (He can't imagine a world without Burger King). I was wondering if it is realistic to think that we could go to a local market...pick up some ice, fruit, sandwich meat, cheese, crackers/bread and soda...pack up our collapsable cooler and leave it in the room for a couple of days worth of snacks/lunches. Does anyone know whether these rooms have refrigerators...and how hard is it to get ice or a soda? I'd much rather hang out on my private OWB dock and snorkel while picnicing in my room, then trudge around looking for overpriced lunches. I imagine my plan will also cost some $$ (given the crappy exchange rate), but it sounds like fun!

Has anyone been to Moorea recently and remembered whether a market/grocery store might be in proximity to the Intercontinental. We are thinking it to be a good idea to rent a car for a day or two to look around anyway, so we're willing to take time for our shopping trip while we've got wheels.

Any other ideas for enjoying our trip? Just because we're tourists, doesn't mean we can't "act" like locals.

We stayed at the Moorea Beachcomber after our cruise, last August. We didn't stay in an overwater Bungalow, we had a garden room and it did have a small refridgerator. The first day we were there we took a taxi to Le Petit Village, a 5 min. ride, there is a little grocery store and other shops and restaraunts. We picked up lunch meats, cheese, crackers, chips, fruit, sodas. beer and the best french bread. The prices were higher then at home, but not as bad as we expected. There is also a pizza place across the road from the Beachcomber, it's called Miss Pizza, the pizza was good and we also had a salad, if I remember the cost was approx. $25.00 for a large pizza, salad for two, beer and soda.

We rented a car, the last 24 hours we were there from Albert's, which is right next to the pizza place. We drove around the island, made many stops along the way. It worked out perfectly for us, when we turned the car in the next day, they drove us to the ferry, a 25 minute drive. It would have cost us $25.

if we had taken a taxi.

You can get a fantastic pizza lunch from Allo's (Cook's Bay, they even deliver) for $15. One of the best meals we had in all of FP. For snacks/food in our bungalow we kept some cheese, french bread (dirt cheap in FP), jellies, beer/wine, fruit, fresh juice, and other snacky items in our bungalow. We actually got in the habit of eating bigger lunches and skipping dinner while on BB.

Something else to consider, the Roulottes are inexpensive and serve excellent lunches. You could always venture to one of those. :)

Oh yes, and when you venture into a local market, be sure to pick up some Tahiti Drink. It's fabulous. My only regret is we didn't buy more of it.

Archived