Southampton ATMs

Our first stop on our cruise is Le Havre, France - does anybody know if there are any ATMs in Southampton that will disburse Euros? I would rather have them in hand before we board the ship instead of spending time going into the Le Havre city centre looking for an ATM (it doesn't sound like there is an ATM at the Le Havre port). We are renting a car(which we can probably pay with credit card) to drive out to Omaha beach sites, but I would like to have some Euros for the toll road and gas.

We always buy a few euros before we leave. There are several online sources, AAA has traveler packs, and your bank can probably get some for you as well. No you won't get the best rate, but it beats having to stress after a long overnight flight. Then we use the ATMs in port to get the rest we need.

We don't use euros in the UK and so you won't find an ATM that will dispense them. You could find a bureau de change though. Marks and Spencer's near the port has one.

There are quite a few ATMs in the UK that dispense Euros, notably at airports, but also several scattered around London and other towns and cities. We had a long thread on this some time ago :)

A point to note for visitors is that they may be charged double transaction fees and will be hit by two conversions - into sterling and then into Euros.

As Debbie's answer, no. You'll only get GBP from Southampton ATMs. Those you buy from exchange bureaux at the airport or on-board will be at a poor rate of exchange. If you're from North America, I've heard from various folk (add Doug to the list) that the rate at home is also poor.

Although rates are much better in high street bureaux like M&S, bear in mind that buying euros with dollars in a country which uses neither, usually means doubled exchange conversions & costs. Dollars to sterling, then sterling to euros.

If you've bought GBP (because you're spending a few days in the UK pre-cruise) first convert any left-over GBP to euros, then convert only a few dollars on the ship - just enough to jingle in your pocket until you hit an ATM or exchange bureau in Le Havre.

Just my thoughts

JB :)

Edit. That damned Eagle beat me to it re the cost of double-exchanges :mad::rolleyes::D

There are quite a few ATMs in the UK that dispense Euros, notably at airports, but also several scattered around London and other towns and cities. We had a long thread on this some time ago :)

A point to note for visitors is that they may be charged double transaction fees and will be hit by two conversions - into sterling and then into Euros.

Yes you are correct I hadn't thought of that, I guess I was just thinking of Southampton itself :)

We don't use euros in the UK and so you won't find an ATM that will dispense them. You could find a bureau de change though. Marks and Spencer's near the port has one.

How far would Marks & Spencer's be from the port? Cab or walk?

S. Cole

How far would Marks & Spencer's be from the port? Cab or walk?

S. Cole

In the West Quay shopping mall, a 10-15 min walk from City Cruise Terminal.

Short cab ride from the other 3 cruise terminals.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

JB :)

Archived