I cant decide....

dzgirl

We cruise in just under 3 weeks :D:D:D:D, so my dilemma is I have always used the transdermal scope patches that you put behind the ear. Last time we cruised though I was asleep every night by 9:30 it was the first time they made me that drowsy, I am trying to decide if I should just suck it up and use the patches since I know they work or try the sea bands and carry on some Dramamine as back up?? I know for a fact I will have to use something as I get car sick just driving around town :(so the sea is terrible for me ( but I love cruising lol) its a horrible thing, any one out there used both??? What's your experience help me decide thanks!!!!

Try going without. And see the mythbusters episode on sea sickness meds.

P.S. they are all the same, a method meant to fool your brain into thinking one works over the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use the SeaBands ginger gum. It works great for me and my kids. They get carsick as well so I just keep it in my purse and give them a piece if they need it while we are driving. DH and I have an inside joke about Grand Cayman because we took a cruise and that was the place that I most wanted to go to. I was feeling a little queesy the morning that we got there so I took a "less drowsy" med. It knocked me out for the entire day and I didn't get to see Grand Cayman at all. Maybe test out the gum on a car ride. I know others on here have sworn by the ginger pills also. HTH

We cruise in just under 3 weeks :D:D:D:D, so my dilemma is I have always used the transdermal scope patches that you put behind the ear. Last time we cruised though I was asleep every night by 9:30 it was the first time they made me that drowsy, I am trying to decide if I should just suck it up and use the patches since I know they work or try the sea bands and carry on some Dramamine as back up?? I know for a fact I will have to use something as I get car sick just driving around town :(so the sea is terrible for me ( but I love cruising lol) its a horrible thing, any one out there used both??? What's your experience help me decide thanks!!!!

Like i told my wife who always wore the patch when we started cruising, "How do you know it's working?"

I told her maybe you wouldn't have gotten seasick even without the patch.

One cruise she went without it and the patch has been history since.

She is ready to go on cruise #29 and not seasick once. And this is a person who gets carsick reading in a car.

She is happy now because she always used to get dry mouth and blurred vision. I used to have to read the menu for her by the end of the cruise.

Good Luck whatever you decide to use or not use.:)

Bill

Bonine & dramamine make me sleepy, the patch doesn't do that to me at all.

I don't need the patch all the time, but if the water is rough then I make sure I have it available. I find I need to bring more than 1 for every 3 days if I am wearing them because they fall off in the shower when I shampoo my hair.

I wish ginger capsules or gum worked for me. It just gives me bad heartburn.

Try ginger root pills during your meals. No sea sickness for me.

I second the ginger capsules. I also get seasick, but dont like the drugged feeling the patches and bonine give me. I still bring both to use if the seas are rough, but only use the ginger if its fairly smooth sailing.

The women that we had dinner with on our last cruise both used the ginger capsules I believe and they said they helped.

Since you know the patch works for you, though, I'd try talking to a pharmacist and asking if there is anything OTC that you can take that will help with the drowsiness. You can also try calling your doctor's office and speaking with a nurse there. If there is a prescription medication that may help, they can help facilitate you getting this. Just be aware, nurses can be quite busy so they may not get back to patients for 24-48 hours (two business days).

I used to take dramamine and use seabands. After reading cruise critic suggestions, I tried Bonine last year. Its my new favorite! Worked like a charm and did not leave me drowsy at all (and I took the non drowsy dramamine and I was still a bit tired at night, I always thought it was the sun/sea/activities, but after taking Bonine, I realized it was the dramamine)

We use the SeaBands ginger gum. It works great for me and my kids. They get carsick as well so I just keep it in my purse and give them a piece if they need it while we are driving. DH and I have an inside joke about Grand Cayman because we took a cruise and that was the place that I most wanted to go to. I was feeling a little queesy the morning that we got there so I took a "less drowsy" med. It knocked me out for the entire day and I didn't get to see Grand Cayman at all. Maybe test out the gum on a car ride. I know others on here have sworn by the ginger pills also. HTH

I missed an entire week sailing around the greek isles not realizing it was the dramamine. I'd take the pill in the morning, and then an hour or so later go down to sleep. At noon everyone else would wake me up to make lunch and send the sandwiches up because they were too queasy to be below decks. Then I'd go back to sleep. Come port time at night I'd all be up and staying up partying with the locals to the wee hours. So I figured it was that - too much ouzo and late nights :p

Then I read the forums here and realized - doh - it was the dramamine. So for my first cruise I packed everything ... seabands, bonine, behind the ear homeopathic stuff, ginger hot mixed drinks, real ginger ale and ginger candy.

Several times I got just a touch - sitting at the computer for example. Nibbling on ginger candy did the trick. Just nibbling! Not fistfuls. But I will say ginger has never made me sick and always helps with a little indigestion.

Then the last night in it got rough. At that point I put on the seabands. The trick apparently is to get them right. Between that and the candy it wasn't too bad at all. It was more the stress (we cruised like what? a month after the Concordia tragedy?) that was the worst. Just nervous plunging up and down!

This time I probably won't buy the bonine and just take the bands, candy and do the ginger pill regime that is recommended. If that doesn't work I'll try the green apple and cracker trick - or fork over the money on ship for bonine. I heard though it's better if you are already taking it rather than after the fact.

SO - who has never been on a ship before didn't feel the slightest bit!!!! It probably is all in our heads what works!

I used the patch on the first 3 cruises then decided I was too cheap to buy it for cruise #4 and to my surprise I didn't need it at all. :D Happy Dance!!

I do take ginger pills and a variety of other OTC sea sick meds just in case though.

Thanks for all the information! I am proabably going to bring both and use what works the best, last time we cruised I forgot to put my patch on before we flew (I always put it on a day early for travel) and the only part of our pre cruise hotel I saw was the bathroom :eek:!! I think ill be more peaceful knowing I have multiple options!! Cant wait til we sail!!!! 4/28/13 Magic from Galveston.....are we there yet!:D

DH was sure he would get seasick on his first cruise so he got the patch from our doctor. He was so miserable from the side effects (blurred vision, drowsiness, dry mouth) that he took it off on day 2. He didn't get seasick on that trip or on any of the 46 cruises he has been on since and some of them we had some really rough seas. I have to laugh because the reason DH thought he would get sick was because he got sick on a deep sea fishing trip. Instead of staying up top in the fresh air he went down into the cabin and the fumes from the engine are probably what sent him over the edge, not the seas. However, there is no comparison between a fishing boat and a cruise liner, which he now comprehends. But, there was no convincing him - he had to find out for himself.

He does have an issue now with vertigo AFTER the cruise when a flight is involved. If he gets off the ship and drives home - no problem, but cruising and then getting on a plane to fly home = room spinning the next day. The ENT has him start Bonine 3 days before the cruise ends and continue it for a couple days after the cruise and it seems to have solved the problem. Have to stock up on Bonine as our next cruise we have to fly home from FLL after the cruise on the Freedom.

Forgot about the green apples, they really do work.

Not sure if it was just the sailing I was on - I asked the guy at the buffet if he had any he could bring out - there had been none in the fruit bowls that I'd seen. He said "no more green apples" I exclaimed "oh no!" & started to fake cry because they really do help. And he joined in on the crying! I am sure the crew need help too on rough days at sea, they have to tough it out & work.

I hope it was just that cruise that they ran out. This was on the Inspiration last month.

Archived