International Pier

ginag

Good Morning! We've been to Cozumel twice now, but haven't docked at the International Pier before. What is at or around this pier? Looks like the Rhapsody will be docking there in Dec. Thanks for your help!

Ginag,

In 2003, the international pier was almost a shopping destination itself. Many shops on the pier; in fact I believe you had to walk through shops to get off the ship.

My preference was making purchases from the off the beaten path shops in downtown to get a flavor of the locals, who are wonderful. As long as you stay in a group, you will be fine. Whatever you do, dont take the "ship recommended" list as exclusive. Remember, the ships bread is being buttered by those very merchants on the "recommended list".

Finally, near the end of the pier, there were some car rental places.

I agree with all Jennifer's comments but one. You don't have to stay in a group downtown to be or feel safe. I am an American woman sitting in my home located in the heart of downtown San Miguel. From my roof deck I can plainly see cruiseship docked at the Punta Langosta pier 3 blocks away from where I live. I walk and bike in the downtown area every day and on into the evening. I do it alone. I have never had the least concern for my safety. People are very very nice here. I feel safer here than I have in any American city I've lived in and its the only city where I feel comfortable enough to walk the streets of downtown by myself at 10:30 PM at night.

In 2003, the international pier was almost a shopping destination itself. Many shops on the pier; in fact I believe you had to walk through shops to get off the ship.

My preference was making purchases from the off the beaten path shops in downtown to get a flavor of the locals, who are wonderful. As long as you stay in a group, you will be fine. Whatever you do, dont take the "ship recommended" list as exclusive. Remember, the ships bread is being buttered by those very merchants on the "recommended list".

Finally, near the end of the pier, there were some car rental places.

Good Morning! We've been to Cozumel twice now, but haven't docked at the International Pier before. What is at or around this pier? Looks like the Rhapsody will be docking there in Dec. Thanks for your help!

There is shopping right on the pier, as mentioned, but it is comprable to U.S. prices and not traditional type things. Across the street from the terminal is Plaza Maya, a quaint little shopping center with many stores selling regional arts and crafts, i.e., blankets, hammocks, paintings and woodworks. That plaza won´t be here long since they are presently trying to vacate it in fovor of building another mall setting similar to Punta Langosta, so the merchants are likely to be especially friendly. Visit No Name Bar in that plaza for a taste of real Cozumel hospitality and great chicken fried steak.

Archived