Rome question - train from Ostiense to FCO

lpd16

I'm considering a post cruise excursion that includes transportation from Civitavecchia and tour of Vatican/St.Peter's. It then will drop people at Ostiense train station so they can get taxis to their local hotels. My traveling companions are staying in Rome for a few more days. However, I have a very early flight the next morning so have booked a hotel near airport and a taxi to airport is too expensive for just one person. My question: will it be feasible/easy enough to take train from Ostiense to FCO (I can then get shuttle to my hotel). I will have one large bag and a tote. Would appreciate input.

lpd16

I'm considering a post cruise excursion that includes transportation from Civitavecchia and tour of Vatican/St.Peter's. It then will drop people at Ostiense train station so they can get taxis to their local hotels. My traveling companions are staying in Rome for a few more days. However, I have a very early flight the next morning so have booked a hotel near airport and a taxi to airport is too expensive for just one person. My question: will it be feasible/easy enough to take train from Ostiense to FCO (I can then get shuttle to my hotel). I will have one large bag and a tote. Would appreciate input.

lpd16

At present time, there are regional trains from Roma Ostiense to FCO about every 15 minutes-- at :03, :18,:33 and :48 after the hour. The cost is only 8 Euros- trains are 2nd class with no reserved seating. The trip takes 31 minutes. There is no need to buy tickets in advance- just buy ticket - validate- and get on the next train to FCO when you are ready to go. There is no change of trains and the last stop is FCO, so you do not even have to worry about when to get off. Check out the trenitalia website for your specific schedule near your drop off time.

We have used regional trains to FCO and stay at the airport Hilton when we have an early morning flight. I like the peace of mine of already being at the airport when the flight is so early. We have found this easy to do, but only you can judge whether you can get the luggage on and off the train without assistance.

At present time, there are regional trains from Roma Ostiense to FCO about every 15 minutes-- at :03, :18,:33 and :48 after the hour. The cost is only 8 Euros- trains are 2nd class with no reserved seating. The trip takes 31 minutes. There is no need to buy tickets in advance- just buy ticket - validate- and get on the next train to FCO when you are ready to go. There is no change of trains and the last stop is FCO, so you do not even have to worry about when to get off. Check out the trenitalia website for your specific schedule near your drop off time.

We have used regional trains to FCO and stay at the airport Hilton when we have an early morning flight. I like the peace of mine of already being at the airport when the flight is so early. We have found this easy to do, but only you can judge whether you can get the luggage on and off the train without assistance.

Thank you for this info; very helpful!

If it were me, I'd book a hotel in central Rome and enjoy the remainder of the day and evening in Rome. I'd book a private transfer to FCO for early the next morning. To me, the extra cost of the private transfer would be worth it because I'd have more time in Rome. The driver would handle your luggage which would also make things simpler for you.

We've used RomeCabs at least 10 times in the last 3 years and highly recommend them.

Archived