Transatlantic "Shiplag"

Miss Kellybean

So, I am thinking about my upcoming journey across the Atlantic next month and am curious about the time change. I understand that during the crossing, we will lose an hour every day to adjust to the time difference in Barcelona. I am just wondering if anyone could share their experience with losing an hour a day for a week.

Also, how do you know what the weather will be like on those sea days. I can check land weather forecasts but how will I be able to see what it will be like on the ocean. Any tips on this will be greatly appreciated.:)

I've done two TAs and did not notice the time difference. On some crossings they change it at night and on some early afternoon.

There really isn't any way to tell in advance exactly what the weather will be unless there is something long-range like a tropical depression brewing in the Atlantic. You may have a little different weather each day or it may be much the same as you cross. Your "Navigator" will give you an idea of what is expected the next day.

Enjoy your TA. I love sea days the best!

• 2 weeks later...

I've done 3 TA crossings. I found the 23 hours days to be a bit rough and the 25 hours on the return trips to be much better.

Note--on 23 hour days, Lumiere's typically served "brunch" from 8-1, so you could get breakfast or lunch food at any time during that interval. The other restaurants did a typical breakfast and lunch separately.

I did a TA this time last year.

You have a little advantage starting off, as you are in Eastern time....I came from Central time and had to lose an hour right away.

The first couple of time changes were okay. Then by the time we reached Europe, I was really feeling it.

BUT, I kept reminding myself I was on a wonderful cruise and very blessed to have the opportunity. I would take a short nap a few times.

Bottom line...it's worth it and you adjust. The best advice I can offer is: don't keep looking at the clock and say "well, at home it's only ___________"

Doesn't matter and I think it makes you more tired LOL

A TA is a wonderful trip and well worth a little sleep adjusting.

Archived