Jungle Queen River Boat

heidi10

Has anyone done the 6:00pm dinner cruise staying an extra day after our cruises ends and looking for something to do. Will be in FLL on April 21st thanks

Yes, I have done the Jungle Queen cruise with out of town guests. Let me preface by saying that I much prefer taking the Water Taxi and getting on/off, but Jungle Queen is another beautiful way to see the waterways of Fort Lauderdale. On the cruise out to the island, the Captain narrates and points out the homes of the rich and famous (he remains silent on the way back). Once you arrive at the island, you will be served a BBQ chicken and rib dinner, which to my surprise was better than I expected. After dinner, there was a comedian, whom I thought to be a bit hokey and cheesy. There is a bar where you can buy beer, wine, and rum punches in a souvenir mug, but the selection is limited, and a bit overpriced.

If you opt for the Water Taxi, there are severals stops along the route to get on/off at.

If you're a bit more adventurous, you can also rent the Duffy electric boats and cruise along the New River on your own. They are easy to operate and navigate, and you can stop off and tie up at the bars/restaurants along the riverfront.

I forgot to mention that the Fort Lauderdale Air & Sea Show is the weekend of April 20 & 21, so there will be a lot of traffic. So if you do decide on the Jungle Queen, be sure to allow yourself plenty of time to get there.

If you want to see the Air & Sea show, I believe it starts at noon and ends around 5 or 6. You can head out to see the show on Fort Lauderdale Beach between Las Olas Blvd and Sunrise Blvd. The show is free, but if you want seating in the grandstands near Sunrise Blvd, there is a charge. It's a great way to spend the day ... pack a picnic lunch!

We have done the Jungle Queen River Cruise twice now and have enjoyed it. The captain gives an excellent narration on the way up along the New River. It is a larger boat than the water taxis and you get a better view of the millionaire homes. They do provide a very adequate all you can eat barbeque dinner on land when you arrive. It is certainly not five star, but it was tasty. As was mentioned by a pervious poster, the entertainment is somewhat hokey. Let's say that all of the entertainers still have their day jobs!

The trip back down the river at night is really quite pleasant and you get to take a peek into many of the homes that are lit up.

I don't think that you will be disappointed if you keep your expectations in check. If you do go, be sure to say hello to Mr. Johnson!

Archived