Orient vs. Pinel Island? Other suggestions?

Lsimon

We've been to St. Martin many times. We almost always go to Orient Beach and usually camp out in front of Kakao Beach club.

On our last trip the beach was very busy with lots of ships in port. There were no problems finding a chair nor getting a table for lunch but still lots of people there.

Also the beach vendors seem to get more and more bothersome every year. There were always several women in sight at a given point in time selling the same items. Some would just walk and call out the items they were selling and some would ask each person they passed. There was also a very pushy guy selling his reggae music CD's who did a big sales speal with everyone on the beach and was very resistant to those saying they were not interested. While I don't mind having to say "no" to vendors now and then I do not enjoy having to do so every 5 minutes.

While we love Orient beach, I'm thinking of trying a different area next year. We're thinking of trying Pinel as I hear it is quieter there. But we're looking for both a nice beach and a nice beach bar/restaurant for a seafood lunch. Will I find this at Pinel or am I better off sticking with Orient or heading someplace else?

Any other info comparing the two would be appreciated.

We SO agree with you! We have been there in the past but last week the vendors ruined the whole day for us. Every 5 minutes someone wanted to give us an aloe vera massage and we also had to listen to the speech by the reggae CD guy. He came across as a little arrogant. Let us know how Pinel is. We won't be going to Orient Beach next year when we are in St. Maarten.

We've been to both. We really like Pinel - however, food and drink prices are extremely high - especially the seafood. The beach there is not very long or very wide.

Some tips if you go to Pinel: Rent a car from Coastal and drive yourself - NOT difficult at all. $5 GPS gets you there in no time. Get to the ferry dock asap. Walk out to the end of the pier - that is where the boats pick you up. We waited under the roof at a window(closed at the time). We thought this was the "ticket window". - Wrong - this is a snack bar. There is no ticket window - you just get in a boat when it arrives and pay an individual there. We had to wait for the 2nd boat as we watched everyone who arrived after us board the 1st boat. To get a great view and pictures of lots of iguanas - go behind the restaurant where they are grilling chicken - the iguanas gather around and eat scraps thrown to them. The restrooms are not so great - no running water - men and women use the same restroom.

Definately check out the trails to the other side of the island - really pretty views.

• 3 weeks later...
We really like Pinel - however, food and drink prices are extremely high - especially the seafood. The beach there is not very long or very wide.

The restrooms are not so great - no running water - men and women use the same restroom.

OK, I'm wondering how you wash your hands--or more importantly, how do the restaurant cooks/workers wash THEIR hands?? :eek: This could be a deal breaker for me. :rolleyes:

My suggestion would be Palm Beach!

It is on Orient Beach but at the far opposite end...far from the majority of vendors, we've been approached maybe twice in a full day there.

It does have a higher end feel to the area, there is no charge for the chairs/umbrellas if you eat there. They do not allow coolers! It is quieter than the Kakao/Bikini Beach area, but yet very walkable if you are in need of water sports and activities. And they have decent bathroom facilities!

Enjoy!

Dawn Beach, about 20 minutes by taxi from the pier, is on the east side of the island - there are two good restaurants (both with decent restrooms): Mr. Busby's, where the taxi drops you, and where you can rent umbrellas/chairs, and Beau Beau's (on the Oyster Bay Beach Resort property, but open to the public). There are also a couple of very good restaurants just across the road, and a small grocery where you can pick up something to eat.

Getting back to the cruise terminal is easy, because the road goes straight down that side of the island so you do not have to worry about afternoon traffic getting through Phillipsburg. You can have the taxi drop you on Front Street for shopping if you want, then take the water taxi back to the pier.

You won't have airplanes buzzing you or flabby, super-annuated people bulging out of their bikinis and Speedos, but it is a good beach with very clear water.

Archived