Need Help on Location

Normally I don't have problems making a decision, but this one has me stumped.

We will be docking in Dover after a 14 night Baltic trip. We don't leave out of Gatwick until the next morning (9:00am). Should I book a London hotel with a central location and deal with early morning hassle (and expense) of getting to the airport? Yet have the convenience of all the tourist attractions. Or do I book an airport hotel and then take the train into the city for exploring? Or, do I explore the countryside from Dover to London and stay put once we get to the airport hotel? Any opinions would be appreciated. These details are driving me nuts.
Thanks for your help,
Dawn

If you are leaving from Gatwick at 0900 you will need to check in at 6 so to me an airport hotel is the way to go. We always stop at Le Meridian at Gatwick if you are interested.

I would get off the ship and go to Dover Castle and then make my way to Gatwick in the afternoon/evening. If you rent a car you could leave your luggage in it whilst you visit the castle.

Hope that helps
Nick

NCL Star March 2004

I agree with Nick. There is so much to see between Dover and Gatwick. Besides the Castle in Dover (an excellent choice) you could detour through Rye (a bit out of the way), visit Sissinghurst Gardens or Leeds Castle.

Enjoy Kent.

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up getting a room at Le Meridien (at Gatwick airport) on Priceline for 50 pounds (including VAT). Such a deal. We will just have to do London another time when we can stay longer.

Dawn

Archived