"Discover diving" vs just snorkeling?

anyuta64

I need to make a tough choice. I've booked a cruise (my very first) for my husbands 50th birthday. It's a surprise. Anyhow, Roatan is our first port. I am deciding what to do there. I definitely want to see the reef. I love to snorkel, and have done it many times. I've always dreamed of diving, but never had the opportunity to certify. My husband on the other hand has been snorkeling I think once in his life. He enjoyed it, and has said in passing that held like to dive.

But of course, diving would be a much more expensive outing. I can snorkel in Roatan for next to nothi g. The dive seems to run around $100/person.

So...is it worth it? I understand that the reefs are fairly shallow, so you see quite a lot without going deep. And since I am a newbie diver, and not certified, I'm not sure how much I'd see, as opposed to concentrating on the mechanics of diving. And my husband...wll, I just don't know how he'd react to it. I'm assuming he'd feel the same as I about it, but that's a guess. $200 is a lot to spend. But on the other hand, it's something I've always dreames of, and ig it really is a significantly different experience, it may be with it. I mean, e

Who knows if I'll ever have the cha ce again.

Ultimately, of course, I'll have to weigh all the factors...but I feel like I may not KNOW all the factors, so am asking those who are better informed to help me out.

I am certified diver, who is unable to dive due to an ear issue. I have only been able to snorkel in Roatan and I do not feel that I have missed anything by snorkeling only. In fact on our second trip here, DH snorkeled with me instead of diving. He felt that he saw just as much if not more than his dive. I would think that it might be more enjoyable to not have to deal with all of the (unfamiliar to you) dive gear. I do miss diving, but the snorkeling here is great!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

I would just snorkel unless you want to do a discover scuba dive to see if you like scuba diving enough to get certified. The dive sites available to discover scuba trips are more limited and really aren't that much different that what you would get from a snorkel trip.

You will also get more time to snorkel vs discover. Discover scuba spends at least an hour going over basics, putting on equipment, etc.

(BTW I am a certified diver.)

Doing a Discover Scuba in someplace like Roatan or Cozumel can be a wonderful experience, especially if you have always been on the fence about whether or not to take a Scuba class. You spend about an hour learning the basic mechanics, then go on a shallow dive. You don't spend much time worrying about the mechanics while you are on the dive, especially if you've done snorkeling in the past.

Many places will charge $50 or more per person to discover scuba in a swimming pool, so $100 in a beautiful location in the ocean is not unreasonable, especially when you consider the one on one attention you get.

This is all from the perspective of someone who did a discover scuba excursion in Cozumel ten years ago, and promptly went through certification all the way up to Divemaster, now has over 600 dives and helps to teach classes. :cool:

Been a diver since 1989...... I have dove all over the world.

In my opinion since this is a port stop (not an extended land stay) I would just do the snorkel.

Discover diving involves some classroom time, some pool time and then a bit of ocean time. Diving is a dangerous sport if you don't know the rules. Save the discovery dive for when you have more time.

But if you decide you really want to do it -make sure you use a good dive shop ! One that has a very low ratio of dive master to discovery divers !!! He will need to keep a very close eye on you and the less people he has to watch the better.

I highly recommend Scuba Roatan dive shop for a discovery dive. My wife and I did our first dive with them last month and it was incredible. It was just the two of us and one other in the group so we received very personal attention. They also arranged transportation to and from port. The dive was a real highlight of our trip.

Edited by Son of Guest

considering discover scuba you will only dive to about 20-30' and you will spend more time learning then you will actually diving...id say go for the snorkel. Will the diving be more fun...yeah I think so. BUT is it worth the hassle to see pretty much the same thing, probably not.

considering discover scuba you will only dive to about 20-30' and you will spend more time learning then you will actually diving...id say go for the snorkel. Will the diving be more fun...yeah I think so. BUT is it worth the hassle to see pretty much the same thing, probably not.

My point exactly. For a port stop excursion I don't think its worth it. But if on a land visit (staying for longer period of time) I would go for it.

One thing is that if you are debating whether or not take a scuba class (which for two people may cost about a grand once you pay for the class, equipment, entrance fees, rentals, etc) and want to decide if that's something you want to do, then the Discover Scuba is a bargain. I've taught in classes where people paid their money for the class, bought all the gear and got in the pool the first night and hated it and walked out and didn't come back. This is a good way to avoid that.

One thing is that if you are debating whether or not take a scuba class (which for two people may cost about a grand once you pay for the class, equipment, entrance fees, rentals, etc) and want to decide if that's something you want to do, then the Discover Scuba is a bargain. I've taught in classes where people paid their money for the class, bought all the gear and got in the pool the first night and hated it and walked out and didn't come back. This is a good way to avoid that.

Most dive shops will provide equipment (except mask fins and snorkel) for scuba classes. No need to buy the equipment.

I didn't actually get my first set of gear until well after I was certified.... like years. For the cost, it made sense to rent for the amount of diving I got to do at that point. Later, when I had the opportunity to dive more, I invested in all my own gear.

PS: seems like a great way to pick up some very gently used gear - buy from the guys that hated it :D

Mask, fins, snorkel, booties, bag and shortie will set you back at least $200 for most people, probably $250. Classes here run $250-$350. So for two people, you are looking at $1,000 - $1,200 investment to get certified.

Can you get a better deal on gear? Yes, but the classes I have been involved with gave you a very short window to get gear after the lecture on what kind of gear you should get, so they get what they get.

If you've snorkeled before, and have always considered diving, but want to know if it is going to be worth it to you, the Discover Scuba is a great value. Many people simply aren't going to go to Coz or Cayman until after they start diving, and a cruise ship excursion is how they are going to get exposed if they ever are. This is why I always tell anyone interested in maybe learning to dive someday to do this kind of excursion.

• 5 weeks later...

That's exactly what my gf and I are doing... We are very seriously considering getting dive certified since we live right on the Gulf but I thought a Discover Class would be a lot cheaper than going through the situation you just said... Plus I have heard a lot of good things about Anthony's Key Resort Discover Class, it's not just a walk off the beach dive, you actually dive a reef about a mile off shore in 30-35' of water...

• 5 months later...

I've done a lot of my diving in Roatan and love it. If you really are interested in trying diving it is a great place to do the discover scuba- diving is fairly easy as the reef is close and the currents aren't as strong as other places. Also, diving in Roatan seems to be more affordable then many other places I've been. Snorkling is also great in Roatan, so you should enjoy yourselves no matter what you decide!