Dining Fare in 1967

GrannyJ

Not Cunard, but ca 1978 on Sitmar and Princess, there was not a Children's Menu - I was sailing with a widowed great aunt, and it was a source of much mirth to the dining room staff that I would *quite gladly* eat anything put in front of me - I laughed when I read about the sardines-on-toast as a treat, because in my case it was matjes herring (which I still love).

My aunt was quite thankful when I got to the point that I could tough it out until second seating - I think she viewed being exiled to early dining as a particular burden.

What I remember most about dining onboard back then were the Italian headwaiters being captivated by my aunt (a buxom redhead) and their magical ability to peel fruit with a table knife and fork. I have been trying to master that trick (and the two-spoon service from silver salvers) for 30 years and failed miserably each time.

Yes, and only 7 fingers to go!

Children? In the dining room? How awful!! I remember having to go to the children`s dining room and having and I mean having to eat whatever was put in front of me. We were supervised by "nannies" who were charm itself to the parents but took absolutely no c*** from us kids. Those were the days!

Archived