?'s Re: Deadman's reef

Almost Packed

Dh & I are considering visiting here. I want to snorkel, dh is not. He may kayak he says.

So I am considering going here. I have a few questions. I emailed the company and received and reply, with a long-winded response, but still didn't really answer my original questions.

So here I am with my CC buddies. Help.

For those of you who have been there and know the info;

1. I understand it is a $3 pp entrance fee. Correct? US?

2. How much to rent a kayak, single or doubles available?

3. Cost for a cab from pier to location?

4. Is a cab for my return trip easily found?

5. How is the food?

6. How much for a chair if there is a charge?

I was informed it is $35 pp including transportation through their website. We have our own snorkel equipment so no need to pay for it. No break on price for that.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi! I am new to cruising and have never been there but we are going to paradise cove in July. I asked Barry the same question! As far as I understand he said once you are on the island it is the same price for everyone even if you have your own snorkel equipment...we have our own as well!! I asked if my patents could just go and sit on the beach and that is when he told me it was the same price for everyone! We are still going to do go and hope he doesn't charge them 35 dollars to just sit on the beach! It is a nice place so we are going! 35 dollars is still quite good because it includes transport! I'm sorry if I didn't really answer your question but hopefully it helps a little..:) good luck!

Hi! I am new to cruising and have never been there but we are going to paradise cove in July. I asked Barry the same question! As far as I understand he said once you are on the island it is the same price for everyone even if you have your own snorkel equipment...we have our own as well!! I asked if my patents could just go and sit on the beach and that is when he told me it was the same price for everyone! We are still going to do go and hope he doesn't charge them 35 dollars to just sit on the beach! It is a nice place so we are going! 35 dollars is still quite good because it includes transport! I'm sorry if I didn't really answer your question but hopefully it helps a little..:) good luck!

hmm, see, I was told we could just pay a $3 entrance fee if we provided our own transportation and rent what we wanted once there. Maybe it's $35 regardless lol...a chair, a kayak, a snorkel lol.

Hi,

I have been there twice and will be going back another two times this year. Fantastic snorkeling! Each time we just got off the boat and went to the taxi area to the left of where we were docked. We paid around $15 USD per person for round trip transportation. The driver will ask when you want to come back and he or someone else will pick you up. We paid when we were picked up so no worry about them not coming back. The taxi drivers will wait until they have at least 4 or 5 people going so you may want to find others on the boat who would like to go as well.

You will need to pay $3 USD each to Barry for entrance and use of his beach and facility. If you want to rent equipment you can. I usually bring my own equipment but I forgot my fins once and they let me rent just the fins.

I do not know about the kayaks. They will take you out too the reef in a little boat for $5 each.

I remember the food was good...think I had the burger and fries. After all the food on the boat I usually do not have a huge appetite. ;) They sell beer (cold) not sure about hard liqueur drinks though.

I rented a chairs and an umbrella each time but I do not remember exactly how much they were...under $10 for both. They will set the umbrella up for you. They have a large pavilion with picnic tables so you do not have to rent chairs if you don't want to.

I hope this helps! It is a small operation so don't expect 5 star and you will enjoy a wonderful day.

Enjoy!

Sandi

We were there last week and I think $35 pp is worth it for the transportation alone. Everyone was very nice and they know to get you back to the ship on time. Separately I think the snorkel gear was $15 to rent, chairs $3, towels $2, lockers $5 plus a $5 deposit.

I had no problem paying them. It's a poor island and this excursion was cheaper than most. If you're not renting equipment you probably just have to pay the admission. They're not scammers.

I believe chairs were $3 or $5, not more than that. Didn't try the food. Finding a cab would be tough, but they may be able to call one for you. It's not on a main road, so the only traffic we saw was the shuttles from there and the hotels in the area.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'd like to just get transport to the location and pay the $3 pp entrance fee.

We would in all likelihood rent a kayak. I'm sure we'll have some cold beverages as well.

Just because $35 is a good value compared to other excursions, doesn't mean I should pay/waste my $'s. JMO

If it's only going to cost us $30+tips roundtrip for the two of us, and then a few bucks for entrance, a chair, no need to spend $70 + tips for stuff we don't need.

That will leave more money for us to share/purchase other items we do want while there.

Thanks again everyone. This helped me alot! EXCITED TO GO!

My wife and I were there last week. WE paid $35 each . My wife does not swim, she lays on the beach. The chair and umbrella cost $3. I have my own snorkel equipment. WE arrived about 9:00 A.M. and left at 2:30 P.M. The tide was high when we arrived, there was about about 6 feet of water out to the rocks where it then drops off to about 30 feet. The fish and coral were abundent. Very little current or under tow. I snorkeled for about 1 hour before I got cold. Returned to beach to warm up. About an hour later , I swam back out . After talking to a local, she recommended going to the extreme left (facing the rocks) in the grassy area.The tide was going out, the water depth was 2-4 feet. When I got even with the rocks, I seen 2 different turtles. Swam back happy with a fine day of snorkeling. Drank a couple of beers ($3.50), did not eat but others said food was good and reasonable. Then headed back to the ship. I would rate the day as 8 out of 10. Well worth the $70. Everything went very smooth , from time of pickup to dropoff. Taxi may be cheaper, but we would do it the same way if we ever go back.:)

• 2 weeks later...
My wife and I were there last week. WE paid $35 each . My wife does not swim, she lays on the beach. The chair and umbrella cost $3. I have my own snorkel equipment. WE arrived about 9:00 A.M. and left at 2:30 P.M. The tide was high when we arrived, there was about about 6 feet of water out to the rocks where it then drops off to about 30 feet. The fish and coral were abundent. Very little current or under tow. I snorkeled for about 1 hour before I got cold. Returned to beach to warm up. About an hour later , I swam back out . After talking to a local, she recommended going to the extreme left (facing the rocks) in the grassy area.The tide was going out, the water depth was 2-4 feet. When I got even with the rocks, I seen 2 different turtles. Swam back happy with a fine day of snorkeling. Drank a couple of beers ($3.50), did not eat but others said food was good and reasonable. Then headed back to the ship. I would rate the day as 8 out of 10. Well worth the $70. Everything went very smooth , from time of pickup to dropoff. Taxi may be cheaper, but we would do it the same way if we ever go back.:)

On our last cruise we went there . Its not fancy but its nice . Our group was a group of 10 it was worth the 35pp just to have to peace of mind knowing that they would get you back on time. My only suggestion is take bug spray as the sand fleas were bad . We will do this again in Sept when we go back

hey Dwightnwynonia,

What time of year did you go last time?? Was there a certain time of day that the sand fleas were the worst?? TIA

Betsy

It was Sept 23rd of last year we were there mid day if that helps you any I didn't get bitten but then I was in the water most of the time

Dwight

If you want to do the snorkel package (which includes transport) it is $35. If you want your parents to travel with you in that transport it would be $35. I talked to Barry extensively about this because BF wants to snorkel and I don't.

If you want to get your own transport all they have to do is pay the $3 to enter and then more if they want chairs/umbrellas and other items.

We will likely both do the $35 package because its easier for us, but its not your only option!

I agree 100% about going off to the left we went both ways but we saw many turtles off to the left and a member or too of our group were not strong swimmers and they were more at ease on that side but when you get out near the rocks it gets deep and there are many fish to see

I was there last in 2005 and am going back to Freeport twice this year. Definitely will be checking it out during my June stay on the island because we'll rent a jeep for a day and drive ourselves. If it's still as good as it was, then I'll take my fiance' back there when we cruise in October.

I can't remember the price, but it was very reasonable, but it is VERY MUCH isolated and off the beaten path and was fairly hard to find, but this was the year after the two hurricanes hit the island so maybe it's somewhat better marked now?

I do remember that the snorkeling was second only to what I've encountered at Isle de Roatan in Honduras. As I recall you have to swin out in fairly shallow water almost all the way to the rocks because there is sea grass and they ask you not to step on it. Once out to the rocks the sea life was abundant and sounds like it still is. I saw several stingrays, a wide variety of fish including a couple of large parrott fish and even a coulple of nurse sharks down near the bottom of the reef out behind the rocks. Unfortunately no turtles....maybe this time!

If you're heading down before the end of June I can't help ya much more than that but I'll know more by the first of July and will post some pics then.

Also I might add, if anyone isn't a real strong swimmer I don't recall the currents being bad. However, it's always advisable even for good swimmers to consider a snorkel vest. It's a minimal investment and you can inflate/deflate at your leisure, plus it makes you very visible since they are usually bright yellow, orange or lime green in color...and that's never a bad thing when snorkeling just in case someone is boating close by or if you were to get into some kind of trouble and need to be easily spotted.

Another cool thing I remember is seeing a waterspout form about a half mile right out from us while snorkeling at the rocks. It literally looked like it was going to come right down on top of us but it was moving out to sea. I remember being frightened at first until I realized it was movign away from us and then just inflating my vest and laying on my back and watching it move out to sea. The guy running the place (don't remember if his name was Barry or not) said they are fairly common.

Come to think of it, I've seen two other waterspouts while on cruise ships departing from a couple of different US ports as well.

Archived