Do you really have to wear closed toe shoes for the Chef's Table?

browneyedwoman

We're thinking about booking the Chef's Table once we're on board on the Liberty. I don't want to pre book it because I haven't been able to find anywhere exactly what day and time it will be and I need to coordinate it with our excursions when we're in port.

I think I read somewhere that everyone has to wear closed toe shoes for the chef's table. I don't own any summer closed toe shoes. All my summer shoes are open toe sandals, either flats or with varying heels. I plan on bringing one pair of sneakers for cave tubing and will be donating them after the excursion. I have slip in heels that I could bring that have closed toes but are open at the heel. Would these work or do I really have to bring an ugly pair of sneakers to wear for the chef's table?

My wife and friends never had a problem during our three Chef's Tables. The galley can be slippery in places... I don't think they require closed toe shoes during the 'Behind the Fun Tour' which spends time in the galley as well but its not as busy. Have fun!

My wife and friends never had a problem during our three Chef's Tables. The galley can be slippery in places... I don't think they require closed toe shoes during the 'Behind the Fun Tour' which spends time in the galley as well but its not as busy. Have fun!

Closed Toe shoes are required for the "Behind the Fun Tour".

We did Chef's Table last August on the Legend & close toed shoes were recommended but not required. The only thing required was to not wear heels because the galley is slick. I wore flat sandals.

This was our experience last year. The word "recommend" was on the letter.

When we did it last year I packed flat black Mary Jane type shoes...ones that I normally wear with jeans. They were flat and closed toe. They didn't go with my dress but they weren't sneakers either. Also if I recall ours was on a sea day so it may not bother the excursions you have planned. It fills up fast so if it were me I would schedule then cancel if needed. You don't pay till that night.

We did Chef's Table last January on the Imagination, and the January before that on the Valor. Both times the letter came telling us closed toed shoes were required. Both times I called and asked about it because I didn't have closed toed shoes with me. Both times I was told it is recommended by not required. I wore my sandals. Keep in mind you are in a working galley during Chef's table and waiters are running around getting their dishes. There is the possibility that something might be dropped on your toes or someone may step on them. I was willing to take that risk.

Shelley

We're thinking about booking the Chef's Table once we're on board on the Liberty. I don't want to pre book it because I haven't been able to find anywhere exactly what day and time it will be and I need to coordinate it with our excursions when we're in port.

I think I read somewhere that everyone has to wear closed toe shoes for the chef's table. I don't own any summer closed toe shoes. All my summer shoes are open toe sandals, either flats or with varying heels. I plan on bringing one pair of sneakers for cave tubing and will be donating them after the excursion. I have slip in heels that I could bring that have closed toes but are open at the heel. Would these work or do I really have to bring an ugly pair of sneakers to wear for the chef's table?

I'm sure others have more than likely answered this, but I'm still going to reply.

a) You won't know what day you've been assigned to Chef's Table until you board the ship. It normally fills up quick, so if you can pre-book it; do so. I can tell you that you'd need to be ready between 5:30 - 6:00. Chef's Table for me ended sometime after 10:00 pm.

b) I really didn't look down at people's feet, so I really don't recall what others were wearing, but I wore heels, and I do believe it was stated that it would be best if flats were worn...I don't own any shoes without a heel. So, I say you'll be fine. We weren't at risk for having things fall on our feet, but the floor was slippery (now I see why they stated it was best not to wear heels).

c) Going back to point A, I did Chef's Table on Victory, the San Juan sailing. Chef's Table for me was on the 5th night. I'm told they normally have 2 Chef's Tables, but I don't know if they host it more than that.

So, just make sure you're back on the ship no later than 5:00 so you'll have enough time to shower and get dressed.

Archived