Luggage weight

In March we sailed with Thomson As we never travel light (my husbands shoes) we bought extra kilos. However we had to use 3 bags. as no bag can weigh over 23 kilos but at checkin they told us this is changing so you can take 2 bags at 25 kilos. Is this true as we are travelling again in August?

In March we sailed with Thomson As we never travel light (my husbands shoes) we bought extra kilos. However we had to use 3 bags. as no bag can weigh over 23 kilos but at checkin they told us this is changing so you can take 2 bags at 25 kilos. Is this true as we are travelling again in August?

Well if so that's news to me - we're only just getting used to the change from 23 + 5Kg to 20 + 7Kg! :eek: Clearly the 25Kg would be for those who have bought extra Kilos but what about the 23Kg per bag maximum for baggage handling H&S issues which they have been quoting to us for some time? (This is fairly common amongst a number of carriers and perfectly reasonable of course but from your info is apparently to be turned on its head :confused: )

Perhaps something else we need clarifying!

Well if so that's news to me - we're only just getting used to the change from 23 + 5Kg to 20 + 7Kg! :eek: Clearly the 25Kg would be for those who have bought extra Kilos but what about the 23Kg per bag maximum for baggage handling H&S issues which they have been quoting to us for some time? (This is fairly common amongst a number of carriers and perfectly reasonable of course but from your info is apparently to be turned on its head :confused: )

Perhaps something else we need clarifying!

The confusion comes when people think what the travel industry set as a baggage limit .

Most travel companies set around the 20kg mark as their baggage limit but not the baggage handlers limit.

This way they can charge you for extra baggage that you can buy giving you 25kg.

Here is a baggage guide for a few airlines www.thomascook.com/airlines clicking onto these you

can see they all stay within the baggage handlers guidelines Set down by H&S( Europe)

Most baggage handlers have conveyors etc to avoid manual handling but 25kg is only a guide ,nothing more

as their is no baggage limit under the HSE they ony set guidelines for them to follow .

They will put warning stickers onto heavy baggage to warn the handlers not to lift alone manually.

So should Thomson really want to up the limit to 25kg, they could do so if they wish .

In reality I doubt that they would as they earn £28 per bag that is 25kg , not like Thomson to give

that sort of money away :rolleyes:

Should you want to look into the world of H&S of baggage handlers ...

www.hse.gov.uk/press/2010/hse-baggage.htm :)

Hi Sanmarco,

You can spread your luggage over a number of bags as long as no one bag is over 23kg for health and safety reasons. You can find out more on our website - http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/legal/baggage-allowance.html#poolingyourbaggageallowance. I'm sorry you we're advised that this has changed as this isn't correct.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Everyone,

I bought an extra 10kgs for our cruise in 4 weeks time, I stupidly thought we only got 15kgs. Now I have 25kgs each.

Because I have an extra 10kgs can I bring an extra case 3 instead of 2?

Thanks

Gav:cool:

Yes, otherwise how would you get 25KG with a 23KG limit :D

You basically add up all passangers allowance, then spread it out amongst x amount of cases, with none being more than 23KG.

We usually have a 20, a 17 and a 13, that way, each case fits inside each other when we unpack, saves space in the cabin.

Yes, otherwise how would you get 25KG with a 23KG limit :D

You basically add up all passangers allowance, then spread it out amongst x amount of cases, with none being more than 23KG.

We usually have a 20, a 17 and a 13, that way, each case fits inside each other when we unpack, saves space in the cabin.

Thanks Sodafountain, my first cruise and getting everything organised lol, 3 cases it is lol

Gav:)

G.

Sodafountain what a simple but clever idea, and i cant work out why i never thought of it before.......have just gone and done that with our cases here so now have more room under the bed and the spare wardrobe....... Shopping trip is now calling as the room will now have to be filled with more purchases :D (my secret shoe stash):D

Hi Everyone,

I bought an extra 10kgs for our cruise in 4 weeks time, I stupidly thought we only got 15kgs. Now I have 25kgs each.

Because I have an extra 10kgs can I bring an extra case 3 instead of 2?

Thanks

Gav:cool:

Hello I also bought extra weight to then read no case over 23kg:confused:

So I went to Travel agent who told us we could have 3 kilo extra in 2 cases

Erm no I don't think so I paid for 10 not 6!!!!

Then spoke with the manager who cleared this up

Thomsons give a weight limit not a case limit:) so yes 3 cases it will be for me too..even if its an empty ish one going out, sure it will be full coming back:-)

Archived