Cash on Sail and Sign card

Lt.Dan

We just returned from the Valor on June 12th and also put cash down on our sign and sail. Carnival says the deposit is $200.00 for a seven day cruise, however after we boarded I went immediately to the Pursers desk and told them I wanted to put cash on my account (4 people) she ask me how much I wanted to put down and I told her $800.00, she said "fine" and that's what I did.

I was never told an an amount I had to put down, and I got the impression that whatever (as long as it covered tips) amount I had put down would have been ok. Just a little tip, if you are putting down cash and it is possible to do so, close your account the evening before departure (saves waiting in a long line in the morning) you will get back whatever extra money there is in cash. If you don't close the account the night before they will put a check under your door early the next morning. If you happen to owe a little bit, they will leave you a paper saying how much and you go down and pay it.

We plan to use cash for our sail and sign cards too. Does anyone know the amount we must place on there for 2 people, 4 day cruise?

Correct me if I am wrong, but this is how I think it works: We board the ship, go to the purser's desk, give cash for our deposit, add more if we need too, and then the night before the cruise is over, go to the purser's desk, if there is an amount due, pay that with cash, if not, get a refund.

Do we add money to it everyday? What is the best way to handle using cash for the s & s card, without having to owe once the cruise is over?

IF there is anything left (credit) at the end of the cruise, and we paid cash, do they give it back in cash or check?

Thanks for the help and tips!

swagner: According to the catalogue I have, the minimum cash deposit for a 2-4 day cruise is $100pp.

Yes, after boarding, go to the Purser's Desk and put the cash on your card. You can add as much as you want, any time you want, at the Purser's. I don't think they will let your S&S account have a balance owing.....I believe they will contact you to make a deposit. If you haven't spent all the money by the last night of the cruise (LOL!!), they will slip a check under your door for the remaining money in the account. You can either take the check to the Purser's and cash it, or just take it home and deposit/cash at your bank.

• 5 weeks later...

A quick question from a newbie. Can you use your credit card as the guarantee on your account, and then when you get on board give them some travelers cheques to put towards your account to keep the charges off you credit card.

A quick question from a newbie. Can you use your credit card as the guarantee on your account, and then when you get on board give them some travelers cheques to put towards your account to keep the charges off you credit card.

Yes- you can do it that way.

Last cruise we had funship dollars. $400.total- that is the amount we put on our account and nothing was said. Just remeber your account will be charged 140.00 for 2 people for a 7 day cruise as soon as you board.

Just curious . . . is there an advantage to putting cash on your S&S card verses just giving them your credit card (a credit card which is also an ATM card . . . meaning it comes directly out of your checking account)?

Just curious . . . is there an advantage to putting cash on your S&S card verses just giving them your credit card (a credit card which is also an ATM card . . . meaning it comes directly out of your checking account)?

For me as a Canadian with Canadian $$'s. It may make a difference depending where and when I purchase US $$'s. I may be able to get a better rate then the going conversion rate on my credit card at the time of the cruise.

We have already prepaid our tips when I made our final payment so they shouldn't be billing us again for it, right? Can we just put cash on our sail & sign card for our drinks, photos, etc.? Oh, I can't remember, do we pay cash for the bingo games or does that go on the sail and sign card too? Thanks.

We have already prepaid our tips when I made our final payment so they shouldn't be billing us again for it, right? Can we just put cash on our sail & sign card for our drinks, photos, etc.? Oh, I can't remember, do we pay cash for the bingo games or does that go on the sail and sign card too? Thanks.

If you paid for your tips already, you won't be charged again. You can set up your S&S card with cash, there is a minimum required for cash accounts... as for bingo, you can do it either way, but it is quicker to pay cash, from my experience...

You MUST be careful when using a debit card. Some only have a daily withdrawal. If you go over that amount it can spell disastrous trouble. Call te bank to see if you have a daily limit. I do- 200.00 a pay, While cruising ona 7 day cruise you might spend less then 200 a day but the cruiselines puts the charges in all on the last day.. If you go over your limit they hold that amount and keep charging until they get all their money-- which in turn holds up your card for a while after you get home.

releasing the daily limit about 1-2 weeks before you cruise is a good idea.

When we are on the Conquest last year we used our debit card when we were checking in. While we were on our cruise we would check our balance on the tv to see how much we had on our Sun&Sail card. On the 1st day they charged out gratutites right away on our card. We added a shore excursion and some alcohol to the card and then we checked it like 1/2 way thru and decided to put some cash down on the balance. Then when we left we just had the balance taken off of our debit card. When we got home that Monday I checked my bank balance and it still wasnt deducted yet. I think it took about 2 days before it was taken out of our bank.

We always just use a credit card and just leave the S&S account on it. Much simpler for us. But I understand that some folks for their own reasons don't want to do that. I'd set up the S&S at checkin with a credit card and then pay it off with cash the last eve. Every time we board any ship, any line, there is a huge line at the pursers desk. By then, I've had it with standing in lines.

Dan

While we were on our cruise we would check our balance on the tv to see how much we had on our Sun&Sail card. On the 1st day they charged out gratutites right away on our card. We added a shore excursion and some alcohol to the card and then we checked it like 1/2 way thru and decided to put some cash down on the balance. Then when we left we just had the balance taken off of our debit card. When we got home that Monday I checked my bank balance and it still wasnt deducted yet. I think it took about 2 days before it was taken out of our bank.

Because you see that the charges were taking off on the tv--doesnt mean that the charges were on your account. The charges will be put on on the last day of your cruise.

We just got back from the Holiday........We where on the July 18-23 cruise. We put up cash and all they did was ask how much would you llike to put on card. We put 300.00 on it. We don't drink much. We did get refunded money on an excursion that we did not get to take plus 25.00 apiece extra. so we actually come home with money.

It was a 5 night cruise and they did not say you have to put up so much. She just ask me how much would you like to put on here.

Shannon

Because you see that the charges were taking off on the tv--doesnt mean that the charges were on your account. The charges will be put on on the last day of your cruise.

Ok so I lets say I put a shore excursion on my room and then I check the tv and the charge is on there but its not taken off of my credit or debit card right away is that what you are saying Its taken off my charge card at the end of the cruise. If this is what you meant I allready knew that part its just I felt better about going down and putting some cash on the bill since we had extra that way is less at the end of the cruise that would come off of our debit card.

Sorry I confused you with what I was trying to say. I seem to be confusing alot of people lately (LOL) :eek:

Archived