Beach recommendation for beginning snorkelers or small kids?

goeva

For snorkeling you have 4 main options - Coki, Smith Bay, Sapphire, or Secret Harbor which are all close to one another on the East End of STT.

Coki offers decent off-the-beach snorkeling. Many families like Coki because it's easy there, but some also don't feel comfortable because of the local vendor there and the neighborhood you go through. Coki also gets very crowded because it's a very small bay.

Smith Bay is a less-crowded beach with no amenities other than chair rentals, there is also an entry fee. You'd have to have your own snorkel gear here.

Sapphire is an excellent beach for snorkeling with a shallow reef area as well as a sea grass area. Sapphire is a larger bay with much more room to be comfortable. Depending on sea conditions you could have higher waves there but typically very nice. Sapphire is the only beach that offers a lot of shade.

SH is a small, protected bay and is very calm. There are no shaded areas for cruisers but there is a restaurant.

All options offer food and drink and restrooms.

Which beach would you recommend for beginning snorkelers or small kids?

Thanks!

For me, personally, I would take the extra time and go to Trunk Bay on St. John. It's the best beach I've been to and it has good snorkeling from the beach with a nice shallow section when you walk out. There's also an under water snorkel trail to follow. It's extra cost and time but, for me, it's well worth it. Plus the ferry ride is quite nice.

For me, personally, I would take the extra time and go to Trunk Bay on St. John. It's the best beach I've been to and it has good snorkeling from the beach with a nice shallow section when you walk out. There's also an under water snorkel trail to follow. It's extra cost and time but, for me, it's well worth it. Plus the ferry ride is quite nice.

Thank you.

My original plan was to go to Trunk Bay but I was a little worried after reading reviews that it's not best for beginning snorkelers.

Thank you.

My original plan was to go to Trunk Bay but I was a little worried after reading reviews that it's not best for beginning snorkelers.

Oh, I never would have thought that. I would take my kids there in a heartbeat. I've been to Coki as well and I would not take my kids there. These are the only two beaches I've snorkelled at so I can't comment on the other options.

Good luck with your choice. And please come back and tell us how it was. On our next cruise we are planning with the kids I am trying to include a stop in St. Thomas/St. John so it would be good to hear of other options.

Oh, I never would have thought that. I would take my kids there in a heartbeat. I've been to Coki as well and I would not take my kids there. These are the only two beaches I've snorkelled at so I can't comment on the other options.

Good luck with your choice. And please come back and tell us how it was. On our next cruise we are planning with the kids I am trying to include a stop in St. Thomas/St. John so it would be good to hear of other options.

Will do. :)

Yes Trunk and the other STJ beaches are very nice and there is a snorkel trail off the beach at Trunk but I would not recommend Trunk for beginning snorkelers with yound kids.

Coki and Sapphire both offer off-the-beach snorkeling in shallow water for easy access. Coki occasionally gets bad raps from some folks who don't like the vendors but it's a gorgeous little bay and not too crowded if you get there early. Many people go to Coki first then taxi to Sapphire or Secret Harbor after. Secret Harbor is another excellent choice but there is no shade available for cruisers like at Sapphire and it too tends to get more crowded because it's a very small bay.

But Goeva you will have a wonderful day wherever you go. Do take advantage of the dive center staff if you go to Sapphire to get the most on your day as there is a sea grass area as well as a reef you can wade out to and also a shoal area! ;)

Yes Trunk and the other STJ beaches are very nice and there is a snorkel trail off the beach at Trunk but I would not recommend Trunk for beginning snorkelers with yound kids.

Coki and Sapphire both offer off-the-beach snorkeling in shallow water for easy access. Coki occasionally gets bad raps from some folks who don't like the vendors but it's a gorgeous little bay and not too crowded if you get there early. Many people go to Coki first then taxi to Sapphire or Secret Harbor after. Secret Harbor is another excellent choice but there is no shade available for cruisers like at Sapphire and it too tends to get more crowded because it's a very small bay.

But Goeva you will have a wonderful day wherever you go. Do take advantage of the dive center staff if you go to Sapphire to get the most on your day as there is a sea grass area as well as a reef you can wade out to and also a shoal area! ;)

Thank you so much, blue_water.

Sapphire Beach it is.

I'm planning to catch a bus there.

Do you know if the bus stops Sapphire Beach or Red Hook Ferry first?

Thanks!

Archived