phone service provider on Eclipse

shoreham01

I am trying to work out how much it costs to send and receive text etc whilst onboard.

My service provider is 02 and we are in the UK.

It would help if I knew the name of the company that provides the communications then I could enquire with 02 the costs incurred.

Thanks

Although I can't specifically help you, I can tell you my experience. We are Americans. We have a unlimited texting package. My daughter was home and her texts to me were free (included) and our texts to her were .25 cents each. Texting pictures is more. It was a lot cheaper than using the internet, as my biggest concern was my elderly mother at home, not really surfing the net. It worked really well for me. I hope it's similar for you and have a great cruise!

I am trying to work out how much it costs to send and receive text etc whilst onboard.

My service provider is 02 and we are in the UK.

It would help if I knew the name of the company that provides the communications then I could enquire with 02 the costs incurred.

Thanks

I would check the Celebrity site for the provider or give them a call.

Most companies use MTM for cell service.

I did check the Celebrity site, and I spoke to someone there. At first they said they did not know and for me to call my service provider. After I explained yet again that my service provider needed to know who their provider was I was still told they did not know. Just as I was about to say thanks and put the phone down someone shouted out to the girl I was talking to that it was Cellular at sea. Now I can phone 02 and ask them.

For information it turned out that it was not called cellular at sea but Wireless Maritime Services www.wmsatsea.com

Don't know why I bother really. :)

I did check the Celebrity site, and I spoke to someone there. At first they said they did not know and for me to call my service provider. After I explained yet again that my service provider needed to know who their provider was I was still told they did not know. Just as I was about to say thanks and put the phone down someone shouted out to the girl I was talking to that it was Cellular at sea. Now I can phone 02 and ask them.

For information it turned out that it was not called cellular at sea but Wireless Maritime Services www.wmsatsea.com

Don't know why I bother really. :)

It does not really matter. You will be billed by O2 if they have a roaming agreement with whichever company. You don't really need to know which company. O2 should know. And O2 sets the rates they will charge you,

Until recently the Eclipse's service has been run by On Waves. In the middle of our cruise last month (March 9 sailing) it switched from "OnWaves" to Cellular at sea which is run by the company identified above.

I don't know about the wireless companies in the UK but for both AT&T and Verizon here in the USA the rates are posted on the cellular companies' web sites under the name of the ship and not the name of the company providing the service. Same thing for service provided in foreign countries - the rates are published for the country you'll be traveling in and not by the local service providers at that location.

Hi Shoreham

Don't count on getting a signal at sea if you are with a UK mobile provider :(. We have just returned from the Eclipse and are with T-Mobile and could not get any signal whilst at sea, and other friends reported similar problems with other UK providers - eg. 3. There is an earlier thread on this forum highlighting this issue.

If it is important to you, then really push your provider to check.

The roaming rates were generally £1.50 min to make and receive calls and 40p to send a text but this was on the islands, don't know what the roaming rate was on ship!!

Archived