grand Princess Alaska balcony help

timetobook

Given the choice of a foward Emerald or Lido forward balcony which would you choose and why? (Grand Princess)

We are currently booked in one of the recessed forward Emerald balconies near the stairs, but could switch to one of the very forward balconies.

Both are covered which I need for taking pics in Alaska.

Thanks...

Depending on where you are on a given day and the side of the ship your balcony is on you may find that there is nothing to take a picture of except ocean from your own balcony. Different ships park different ways to see the glaciers and alike. If there is more than one ship in the area on a given day this too will cause adjustments that the ship has to make. Although I have no desire to do Alaska I did find this to be the case in some of the fijords we visited in NZ especially when there were multiple ships present. There is no real way of telling what side of the ship will be positioned to see the sights of the day. Most serious photographers were on the upper decks moving about to capture the shots that they wanted. If you are happy with the cabin that you have now I don't see a big reason to change.

Depending on where you are on a given day and the side of the ship your balcony is on you may find that there is nothing to take a picture of except ocean from your own balcony. Different ships park different ways to see the glaciers and alike. If there is more than one ship in the area on a given day this too will cause adjustments that the ship has to make. Although I have no desire to do Alaska I did find this to be the case in some of the fijords we visited in NZ especially when there were multiple ships present. There is no real way of telling what side of the ship will be positioned to see the sights of the day. Most serious photographers were on the upper decks moving about to capture the shots that they wanted. If you are happy with the cabin that you have now I don't see a big reason to change.

Thanks for the info...I think we'll stay put. I do plan on being out on the upper decks most of the time.

Are you cruising southbound or northbound? If you are southbound, you'll want to be on the port (left) side. Northbound, you'll want to be on the starboard (right) side. When cruising south and having a balcony on the port side, you will have views of the magnificent St. Alias mountains as well as all other fabulous sights along the coast. Opposite for northbound. I found this to be of MAJOR importance when we sailed Alaska. The ships rotate 360 degrees on their axis when viewing glaciers. They will pull up to the glacier, expose the port side for a while, then rotate the ship and expose the starboard side. It was GREAT! I would choose my cabin with this information in mind. I was also on a Princess ship in Alaska - The Coral Princess.

Are you cruising southbound or northbound? If you are southbound, you'll want to be on the port (left) side. Northbound, you'll want to be on the starboard (right) side. When cruising south and having a balcony on the port side, you will have views of the magnificent St. Alias mountains as well as all other fabulous sights along the coast. Opposite for northbound. I found this to be of MAJOR importance when we sailed Alaska. The ships rotate 360 degrees on their axis when viewing glaciers. They will pull up to the glacier, expose the port side for a while, then rotate the ship and expose the starboard side. It was GREAT! I would choose my cabin with this information in mind. I was also on a Princess ship in Alaska - The Coral Princess.

Thanks for the info. We are R/T from SF and our cabin is Port Side. I'm really looking forward to Glacier Bay. Our last trip to Alaska in 2005 didn't go there. Thanks again...Nancy

Archived