Burano from Piazzole Roma

Poggio

We are visiting Venice on Celebrity in June, and wondered whether to take the ship's excursion to Murano and Burano. We would really prefer just to go to Burano. Could anyone please tell me if this would be easy to do independently - I tend to worry about getting back to the ship on time. Could we get a vaporeto directly from Piazzole Roma to Burano? If so, how long would it take to get there?

Many thanks,

Poggio

If Burano is your sole goal, I think a tour is overkill. It's a lovely, quiet island, not much need for a guide - it's the kind of place you just wander around and take in.

You can do this on your own using the vaporetti, but there is no direct route from Piazzale Roma. You'd need to take one of a few lines (whichever arrives first) from Piazzale Roma to Fondamente Nove, where you'd get the #12 line out to Burano.

Just be sure to head back with some "pad" time; in other words, take either the next-to-the-last boat that would get you back on time, or the one before that, so you don't stress about missing your ship.

You can try different scenarios on the ACTV web site here: http://www.actv.it/

One other thought, if you happen to be unlucky enough to be there on a rainy day, I'd come up with a "plan B". I once went out to Burano in the rain thinking it would be kind of neat ... it was just cold and wet, not the interesting photo opportunity I had in my head.

Archived