alaska in May footwear

winona53

I have been looking in amazon.com and found a shoe cover called muck boots shoe cover. It goes over the shoe and closes in the back with a zipper. They didn't have any reviews so I'm taking a chance.

I ordered a pair to try it out. I dont want to risk having my feet wet all day in case it rains. I dont have a choice to wear another type of shoe but the ones with the mesh on top, so hopefully this will work.

I would love to know how these work for you when they arrive! What size did you order? Please post a review when you have tried them out. I'm going to Alaska in June and would rather carry and use something like this than my heavy cowboy boots as we are flying to Seattle.

I went to our local Army Navy store and bought rubber shoe covers that slip snuggly right over hiking leather boots or shoes. They were $20 a pair. They are light weight and can be folded or smashed for packing purposes. When we get to Alaska and are on a excursion, its sounds like the day can start out sunny but end up rainy. They are small enough and not bulky so I can carry them in a backpack if needed. Just a note, I almost bought these online but decided to look at our Army Navy store for them and I am glad I did. I would have bought a medium online, but trying them on over my shoes in the store I needed a small. They also have ridges on the bottom for gripping. Who knows, I might need them and I might not. But right now I am glad I bought them.

Coming from Australia, we are thinking of buying our walking shoes in Vancouver before we board (we have 5 days to shop). Would Walmart have some decent but cheap walking shoes (as i doubt we would wear them again back home)?

the countdown has really begun now!!!

cheers from 'down under'

sharon

Trying to get our list of clothing items together for Alaska cruise/tour for mid-May. Do we need to bring boots or hiking shoes or will waterproofed sneakers be o.k.? Won't be doing any serious hiking or trekking other than one glacier tour. How cold does it really get mid-May?

It could be cold especially if you tend to have cold feet and it could be wet. Cold is fairly easy to handle - bring a pair of good socks and pick up some chemical foot warmers just in case.

With regard to wet, test out your footwear by walking in the rain and in puddles before you go. That will tell you if your shoes will keep your feet dry. There is nothing worse than cold wet feet.

DON

Archived