Earthquake!

I teach in Rialto, which is really close to Yucaipa, the epicenter. My first graders were on the playground for primary recess and most did not realize we had one. However, in the classrooms and office it was a good one. Principal quickly went into earthquake mode telling the kids in the classes to duck and cover. On the playground, it was tough calming and directing the kids to their class lines and locations for a earthquakes. Most Californians are use to earthquakes. Not a big deal. I think what you guys go through with twisters, hurricanes, storms, etc. is really, really scary.

Robin :)

Yes, I felt it.

Like the seismologists from CalTech have said, it's NORMAL for California to have three 5+ magnitude quakes per year.

We have had an UNUSUALLY quiet decade with earthquakes. In the mid-80s to early 90s it was MUCH MUCH more active, with several smaller, and of course, larger and more devastating quakes. I remember them well. These little shakers over the last few days are NOTHING compared to those.

Personally, I'm a little RELIEVED to have the seismic activity, it releases some seismic pressure. I was more concerned that with all the inactivity that the "big one" was coming.

Not to assume that it is still NOT coming...but, that's the price we pay for living in paradise. ;)

Oh - good, I can now not have to cruise to the Caribbean. I can just wait for my Arizona beachfront property to appear...:)

Seriously, I used to live in California and know how unsettling earthquakes can be. Hope things stay a little more stable.

Weird - they just came on the news about the quakes here. Got to go listen!

Karen

We just returned from Sandals Whitehouse in Jamaica and from reading the Sandals message board upon our return on June 8th - they advised that Jamaica (Westmoreland) area also felt an earthquake on Saturday June 10th around 11:00am. So this is really getting weirder and weirder - why so many earthquakes all of a sudden. It seems the WHOLE world is experiencing them this year. I believe there is something brewing in our inner core and we will just have to wait to see what happens.

We were in lasts year hurricane Sept (Ivan) and don't think we'll ever cruise in Sept again. Don't get me wrong, the whole cruise, we didnt' know or actually feel that we were in a hurricane, however, the one excursion stop was cancelled because of the damage but it's just too scare out there lately. But I think now they weather folks should think about adding and extending the hurricane season - maybe something like Aug thru Nov.

Hurricane season for the east coast runs 6/1 through 12/1. That's why we cruise in May and December! ;)

I hope all of you folks in CA are weathering these temors okay. You guys seem to take it right in stride while we sit here positively horrified, watching you from the east coas!! :eek:

Hope my little grandsons in LA aren't afraid. I'd settle for a couple tremors in lieu of of frigid winters. More people get hurt here in New England sliding on ice on their backsteps every winter and whacking their heads. Could be one reason my mind is not what it used to be. Mary

Plymouth, MA

No doubt that an earthquake is scary, that 1994 northridge quake 3 miles from my home was terrifying. But, history has shown as far as fatalities (there were 54) are concerned, earthquakes dont even come close to hurricane(and floods) or tornados in fatalities. My relatives in Mo. ask how I can live in "earthquake" country. I remind them the 2nd largest earthquake recorded was along the New Madrid fault in Mo.

Archived