What will the Musical be?

No way on Wicked. No how no way. That would water down the brand for sure. It is a powerhouse (money wise) on B-way and on tour... I do hope I am wrong...but I think not. Too bad they were not quicker on the gun because NCL outdid them by getting Legally Blonde. While not everyone's cup of tea. It will certainly appeal to the masses and is easy to produce/cut in order to fit into the ship. I personally like the show and while I have never cruised on NCL....I will when the Getaway is launched..and all because my other half is OBSESSED with that show! LOL

Logically, Jersey Boys would be a win if they could land that. The ONLY problem is finding the voice talent level needed to pull off that show at a cruise line pay scale price. That will be tough for sure!

Edited by ken987

Logically, Jersey Boys would be a win if they could land that. The ONLY problem is finding the voice talent level needed to pull off that show at a cruise line pay scale price. That will be tough for sure!

We've talked to dancers on the ships and they claim the rate is not far from what someone in a touring production would make, which she had done. Plus, they don't perform every day and they get free room and board. She felt that at the end of the day, she was doing the same as someone on tour, without all the packing.

If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. Avenue Q is set in NYC, so for a new ship making its debut there, it is a good tie-in. Obviously the show is not for young kids, but with the Dreamworks experience, Royal doesn't have to produce a show to appeal to all ages. Avenue Q definitely also appeals to people who are not typical musical theater goers. Avenue Q also has a relatively simple stage set and costumes which is something that the ship will definitely need to consider.

I don't really see Avenue Q as a possibility. There are too many prudish people who would be offended and would post relentless bad reviews.

Sooooooooo, I'm guessing The Full Monty and The Book Of Mormon are off the short list, then? ;)

I got a survey from RC today asking about entertainment shows I'd like to see. There was a list to choose from. Wicked and Jersey Boys was not on the list. The only one I can remember that was on the list was Les Mis.

I got a survey from RC today asking about entertainment shows I'd like to see. There was a list to choose from. Wicked and Jersey Boys was not on the list. The only one I can remember that was on the list was Les Mis.

Les Mis on a cruise ship?

I'll take a pass.

• 4 months later...
From my friends in the Theater Community, this is the rumor that is going around. It may be just that, but the talk is that Royal is looking to take the Vegas version (the 95 minute no intermission version) and adapt it to this ship

If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. Avenue Q is set in NYC, so for a new ship making its debut there, it is a good tie-in. Obviously the show is not for young kids, but with the Dreamworks experience, Royal doesn't have to produce a show to appeal to all ages. Avenue Q definitely also appeals to people who are not typical musical theater goers. Avenue Q also has a relatively simple stage set and costumes which is something that the ship will definitely need to consider.

Anyway, I just thought I would throw that out there and see what others think.

When I was reading the criteria that someone put together of what would work on a ship, I immediately thought of Avenue Q as well. The main thing is that it has a very small cast, which would save RCI a lot of money. It's no longer on Broadway so getting the rights to it shouldn't be as expensive. It's not that long of a show to begin with, and some of the more objectionable songs they can cut without affecting the storyline very much. And you're right, the stage is very simple and compact. It's set in NYC, it's been popular for a decade, and it's just a smart show. Of course, the only thing would be that some people would be offended by it. But maybe RCI would be willing to risk that.

When I was reading the criteria that someone put together of what would work on a ship, I immediately thought of Avenue Q as well. The main thing is that it has a very small cast, which would save RCI a lot of money. It's no longer on Broadway so getting the rights to it shouldn't be as expensive. It's not that long of a show to begin with, and some of the more objectionable songs they can cut without affecting the storyline very much. And you're right, the stage is very simple and compact. It's set in NYC, it's been popular for a decade, and it's just a smart show. Of course, the only thing would be that some people would be offended by it. But maybe RCI would be willing to risk that.

I think it is too simple of a show. Now big numbers. Now show stoppers. Just a bunch of guilty chuckles. I really doubt they'd bother with it. I've seen it, I liked it but it wouldn't sell me a cruise

Wicked is going to be on The Today Show today at 8:52 EST and 10:52 EST. I don't expect any announcement but you never know what they may say. If they are asked about the shows success and the future they could easily drop a hint.

Wicked is going to be on The Today Show today at 8:52 EST and 10:52 EST. I don't expect any announcement but you never know what they may say. If they are asked about the shows success and the future they could easily drop a hint.

I suspect that is because the show has just celebrated its 10th year on Broadway

• 4 weeks later...
Wicked makes sense for Quantum, I'm hoping for Mamma Mia for Anthem then. :D

You were close!!! Mamma Mia for QOS!

Actually, it looks like several people thought Mamma Mia was a very real possibility and the most obvious choice.

Edited by reney313