Kids Arcade charges- FOS

We'll be traveling on Freedom of the Seas this summer. I've heard that charges in the kids' arcade can add up REALLY quickly.

Question- are there any games in the arcade that are free? Or is everything for a charge?

If it's all fee-based, I will tell the kids to avoid the arcade entirely. There's too many other fun things to do on the ship.

We'll be traveling on Freedom of the Seas this summer. I've heard that charges in the kids' arcade can add up REALLY quickly.

Question- are there any games in the arcade that are free? Or is everything for a charge?

If it's all fee-based, I will tell the kids to avoid the arcade entirely. There's too many other fun things to do on the ship.

You can limit how much the children can charge. Give them a limit and when they've blown through that there is no more until the next day. It will teach them about budgeting.

There usually is one night that has an hour or so of free play for the kids, otherwise it is a charge. If ypu have a concern take charging off their cards or put a limit on them. Yes it does add up fast!

You can limit how much the children can charge. Give them a limit and when they've blown through that there is no more until the next day. It will teach them about budgeting.

How do you monitor? I've read that sometimes they don't let you put a limit on the kids' SeaPass cards at check-in, that you must pick no spending rights or unlimited. Threads on this subject have conflicting information...can anyone verify based on personal experience?

I would prefer to give them a certain amount for the week on the ship, but to know that the card will stop working once they've reached that limit. Is that possible?

How do you monitor? I've read that sometimes they don't let you put a limit on the kids' SeaPass cards at check-in, that you must pick no spending rights or unlimited. Threads on this subject have conflicting information...can anyone verify based on personal experience?

I would prefer to give them a certain amount for the week on the ship, but to know that the card will stop working once they've reached that limit. Is that possible?

I have also heard conflicting reports. About 5 - 6 years ago we were able to put a limit for the week on my sons card. Have not tried since as he is older and we put more responsibility on him. We give him a verbal daily limit then sit down with him and look at the seapass charges on the cabin tv each night to make sure he is following the rules. So far so good. Just another option, but it is after the fact. Maybe if they go over remove charging abilities?

I have also heard conflicting reports. About 5 - 6 years ago we were able to put a limit for the week on my sons card. Have not tried since as he is older and we put more responsibility on him. We give him a verbal daily limit then sit down with him and look at the seapass charges on the cabin tv each night to make sure he is following the rules. So far so good. Just another option, but it is after the fact. Maybe if they go over remove charging abilities?

My kids are pretty responsible with spending, so I'm not terribly concerned that they would go crazy spending $$$. My concern has more to do with the possibility they lose/misplace their Sea Pass card and the spending that could happen if it got picked up by someone else. My understanding is that you are liable for the time it was lost until it was reported...could add up!

To give a little more clarity, in the arcade, you must first preload the Seapass card before it will work for anything. Then you swipe your card at the games, etc. When the pre-loaded about is used up, you have to go back the machine and pre load it again. So it`s not just unlimited swiping of the sea pass card at the games.

If your kids are responsible enough, maybe preload it for them and then give them free reign, except on reloading their cards. (Like Adam in the Garden of Eden :D )

Aaah...this is helpful information. I had read some stories on here about kids "accidentally" running up hundreds of dollars in charges in the arcade. I'm not sure how that would happen if the money must be preloaded, but it's good to know that is how it works (maybe that is a new system in response to the over spending isssue?)

Only one of my 3 kids would even be mildly interested in the arcade, so I will think about this option for him. Better yet, I might just try to steer him to all the other wonderful stuff on the ship- sounds more fun anyway!

If I remember correctly, there is a " sea-pass / cash machine" the kids can put the cash into, insert their sea pass card and it loads whatever cash onto their card. My kids have to save up money for the arcade then they load it onto their card and when it runs out, it runs out! :p

My kids don't have spending privileges on the sea pass cards and have never asked - they are now 10 and 13.....there is nothing they have to have cash for as far as we are concerned! ;):D

yes we always put our son on his own credit card but you can just put cash on it - when cash gone they are done

If worse comes to worse, have the tips billed to your card and then set the kids up with a cash account. When they run out of cash, that is it.

You can monitor their spending via the interactive TV.

Aaah...this is helpful information. I had read some stories on here about kids "accidentally" running up hundreds of dollars in charges in the arcade. I'm not sure how that would happen if the money must be preloaded, but it's good to know that is how it works (maybe that is a new system in response to the over spending isssue?)

Only one of my 3 kids would even be mildly interested in the arcade, so I will think about this option for him. Better yet, I might just try to steer him to all the other wonderful stuff on the ship- sounds more fun anyway!

The machine to reload the cards is inside the arcade ...

DSC_2986_zps6ca1130b.jpg

Archived