Belize....keep it?

I don't think this will ever happen in Belize...the ships anchor so far away from shore because of the reef system that encompasses the entire coastline of Belize. To enlarge any existing cargo port areas and dredge it out/make wider would further upset the ecosystem.

I was just in Belize (Miracle - June 5 sailing) - The city tour guide made mention of the Carnival Corp building a pier by 2006. (He mentioned the whole Belize minumum wage and that Carnival had agreed to use Belize labor to build it!) I have no idea of knowing if this will happen - and I have given my source. I have heard this same story for at least 12 months - it comes up time to time on the Belize board here at CC.

We got off the ship and made arrangements with a "tour" (I guess you'd call it?) to go out to Goff's Caye. You can't get to a beach without a guide...unless you own a boat in Belize! But there are beaches... :cool:

Im sorry- I guess I did not make it clear-- there are not public beaches in belize where you can go off by yourself. Most of the ports ships visit people can jsut jump in a cab and head there. In Belize you need to take a tour inorder to get to a beach.

Do you know if you can catch that ferry yourself ? I do know that the Miracle had a ferry from the ship to keep you from going to Belize pier.

Do you know if you can catch that ferry yourself ? I do know that the Miracle had a ferry from the ship to keep you from going to Belize pier.

Nope...don't know. I doubt it. We traveled quite a ways back out - but it was a fun boat ride! We paid for the "tour"...but once we got there - we were on our own until the boat was heading back. The guides were AWESOME - even kept our beer cold for us! I'd go back out with them in a heartbeat. In fact...I hope to find them when I go back there in March! :D

I read that the Goffs Caye tour picks you up at the ship. Do they provide food or drinks?

I think I may do some kind of tour on the mainland, as I would acutally like to see it since it is the actual port of call.

Last year I did the same thing, I finally decided to go to Caye Caulker with Coral Breeze but then the hurricane sent us eastern!

We didn't go through the Carnival excursion. But yes, I've also heard that if you do it through Carnival, they pick you up at the ship.

They didn't provide food...but there were people selling food once we got there. Beer and water also...but we brought our own that we purchased at the dock. :cool:

You can get water on the boat after the excursion from Goff's Caye. It's in this really cool plastic pouch! On Goff's Caye there's a little hut to buy food, souvenirs, and drinks from (Coronas!)

Belize was by far my favorite stop on the cruise. I am either planning on the Miracle or Valor next May so I can go back to Belize. The water is just breathtaking, IMO. It was better than Cozumels, IMO. If I had to choose one of the places my cruise went to, to go back to a place, Belize would be it (however, I would try to stay on Caye Caulker). Airfare is over $700 there, so i won't be doing that soon!

We had a great time in Belize, and would deinately go back. We booked thru X-Stream, was met by Richard, the excursions was one of the best we have ever done. We drove thru the city, going and coming, and had several areas pointed out. He said there were areas you might not want to go 'on your own', but as more tours go there, that should change. The good ole' tourist $$$ talk, and they would not want to lose them.

Hey- Been to Belize on Glory 2X before. Best for us has been the Xunantunech Myan Ruin tour. Takes you inland to the highlands about 90 miles up on the Guatamalen border. Spectacular view from the mountain top and top of the pyramid ruin up there. Very interesting countryside and a lot of beauty in the highland area. Going back again in a couple of weeks- can't get enough of it. Definitly worth getting off the ship and doing the tour

Belize City is a bit like--- Wow not real comfortabe there.

My family and I are going to Belize along with Cozumel and Key west on RCCI Enchantment, should we book our excursions through Royal. I know it can be expensive but for first time cruiser who know nothing is this the best route. Maybe in the future we will book our own. I don't want to be responsible for letting everybody book their own when they nothing about crusing. Any thoughts ?

We did the Altun Ha and River Wallace tour two weeks ago and it was excellent. It was worth every penny. The ruins were interesting and you do get to climb one, but the river ride was the best part of the excursion. It was about an hour and a half long, winding ride through a tree lined river. We saw howler monkeys, manatees, bats, dolphins, iguanas, exotic birds and a crocodile. There was a mother dolphin and her baby that raced along side our boat. At the end of the river, when they reach the open sea, they step on the gas and give you a fun ride out to the pier. They drop you off steps away from the tender back to your ship or you can stay at the pier for shopping or dinning. I would not want Belize to be dropped, but I do agree you need to line up an excursion for this port, not much to do other wise. Those of you who are going on this excursion are going to have a great time!

The excursion through Carnival costs $69.00 for adults and $54.75 for children. The paperwork never stated an age range for children, so I listed all three as children including my 15 year old. We ended up tipping the tour guides extra anyway, because they were so good about making sure everyone was enjoying themselves. They took their time when we came upon an animal or mammal during the river ride and would circle back or rotate the boat around until everyone on both sides of the boat were able to see. The manatees are the most difficult to see, because they don't surface, they just poke their faces up out of the water every few minutes. I hope everyone is as lucky and are able to see as many creatures as we did that day.

Hey Texas we like your excursion but we went online and could'nt find anything like it.It seems like you had lot's of fun throughout the tour.Any info would be helpful. I also went to RCCI web site and shore excursions .com . I found some similiar to yours but bot the exact thing.

Hey titans1 it seems you and Texas took the same excursions I would like to take but I can't find any info on it. I checked with RCCI web site along with shore excursions.com. I found some things but not River Wallace / Alta Huns etc.. tour. Maybe I'M overlooking it. Somebody help me. I like the idea of a tour on a boat and looking at wildlife along with the Ruins. The best of both worlds.

Belize has the second largest reef in the world. Of course Australia is the largest I won't be getting there any time soon. So if you snorkle or dive it is a great location.

Ooooo!!! Thanks for that gem of information. I didn't know that. If we go back to Belize, I know what I will be doing! Can't wait to tell DH.

I don't think this will ever happen in Belize...the ships anchor so far away from shore because of the reef system that encompasses the entire coastline of Belize. To enlarge any existing cargo port areas and dredge it out/make wider would further upset the ecosystem.

The other rumour that has gone around is that a lot of cruise lines ARE thinking of pulling out of Belize because for the last 5 years Belize has been a free-port for cruiselines...they haven't assessed any port taxes in order to encourage the ships to come....well now the country is trying to levy port taxes to the cruise lines and the lines are threatening to pull out of Belize....

We were there last Christmas and our tour guide showed us the pier being built. If you look closely, you can see it on the left as your tender approaches. He said Carnival is building it because the current cruise port was built by RCCL, the first line to come to Belize. He said Carnival has to pay a fee to RCCL for every passenger and they really want their own pier, like in Cozmel. He said there is a path through the reef system, it is well known and should be fine for cruise ships to travel through in order to get to the pier. The structure being built looked huge. Probably something like they have in Progresso. It is far from downtown too, which isn't a bad thing for safety and traffic. Is is south of downtown.

Somebody help me. I like the idea of a tour on a boat and looking at wildlife along with the Ruins. The best of both worlds.

You might want to take a look at the Belize City Tour and Airboat Adventure. Basically it's a bus tour of the city on the way out to the airboats, and then about an hour ride out on a lake in a wildlife sanctuary. Mostly birds, although we did see some baby crocodiles, and the guides mention that the manatees come into that lake fairly regularly. It's only a couple of hours long, leaving plenty of time for shopping or an early return to the ship.

We were there last Christmas and our tour guide showed us the pier being built. (snip) It is far from downtown too, which isn't a bad thing for safety and traffic. Is is south of downtown.

Hmmm. I wonder if they are going to build a place for shops, restaurants, etc. at their pier. Since most people book excursions for this port, I guess the guides for the independent bookings will have to send reps to the new port to meet their clients. I wonder if this will mean those excursions will cost more. ...... Just wondering "out loud" but if anyone knows any of the answers, please share.

When we cruised on the Miracle to Belize, my friend Kim and I got off the ship with nothing special in mind planned. We met a tour driver named Philip who offered us a tour of Belize City for only $20 each. It was money well-spent. Philip was humorous and very informative. I think he knows everything about Belize! And, if there are places you wish to stop to take pictures, he will do that also. The van he took us and a few other people around in was air-conditioned and spacious...very comfortable. I would highly recommend looking him up at the pier area.

Texas can you give me more information on your excursion. It seems to be something our group would like.River wallace was mentioned, but when I went to shore excursions .com I could not find anything or under RCCI web site.

Archived