Price Differences - Carnival And Online Agencies

Juliadlf

Newbie here.....I've recently received quotes from online agencies which are $200 less than what we booked an additional cabin for and were giving additional incentives. The online agency we originally booked the additonal cabin with checked with Carnival and said the price for the cabin did not reduce and couldn't understand how these other agencies are quoting a lesser price:confused: However he would see if he could get us a ship board credit but probably wouldn't be the $200.00.

Since I am not familiar with cruise bookings, how could these other online agencies be able to offer a lesser price than what Carnival is pricing at?:rolleyes:

Thanks for your help.

We priced our cruise through both Carnival and a major TA (they aren't only online). The Carnival PVP quoted us a price approx. $180 higher per person for the SAME cabin on the ship. He also pushed us to buy airfare even though we live within a 90 minute drive of the port.

We booked through the TA and have been pleased with their customer service, even though we booked online. I don't know how they did it for less, but they did!

Newbie here.....I've recently received quotes from online agencies which are $200 less than what we booked an additional cabin for and were giving additional incentives. The online agency we originally booked the additonal cabin with checked with Carnival and said the price for the cabin did not reduce and couldn't understand how these other agencies are quoting a lesser price:confused: However he would see if he could get us a ship board credit but probably wouldn't be the $200.00.

Since I am not familiar with cruise bookings, how could these other online agencies be able to offer a lesser price than what Carnival is pricing at?:rolleyes:

Thanks for your help.

Some online agencies purchase cabins in bulk and can sell for less - others just take less in commission and can offer cabins for less because they do a large volume of business.

Make sure the price you are being quoted includes the taxes and port charges.

I think if you see the cruiselines charges are lower then what you are being offered by an agent-- it is VERY reasonable to call the agent and request the difference.

If you see a lower price offered by another agent and you still have a few months from your cruise you can transfer the booking. Some agents charge a great deal to cancel the booking so be careful before you book.

I think volume has something to do with it. larger agencies get better rates, but I am not sure. I have had success in giving my TA the internet discount rate and they have always matched or beaten it with an incentive.

good luck

I Search Around And Look For The Best Prices, Then Take Them To My Ta, She Always Matches Them Or Beats Them, I Like Doing It In Person, Then At Least If There's A Problem She's Available To Handle It. I Don't Have To Play Phone Tag. Never Had A Problem In 7 Years. But I Do Book Flights On Line (not For Cruises, We Live In Fl). Cruising Is A Different Story.

I have been trying to book a cabin on the Liberty next summer and have been comparing online prices with Carnival's website and I see no difference. I find Carnival to be very easy to deal with and there is no cancelation penalty. I booked my last trip with an online agent and there was a $75 pp cancelation of change fee. For a family of 5, that's a chunk of change. Also, if there is a problem, Carnival, so far, has been very willing to rectify it.

The online agency we booked the additional cabin with originally, did offer a ship board credit which I think is fair. :)

I thank all of you for your input as I find these boards very,very helpful since I wouldn't have known to keep checking the pricing and go back and ask for a price change.

OK, question then. How do we find a REPUTABLE TA/broker? We took our first cruise earlier this year, booked by someone else (family trip). Now we want to take a cruise for just our immediate family this coming february.

Where do I start?

1) I've read some horror stories on these boards about reservations not being there/being cancelled by travel agent, and carnival pvp bookings are "safer".

2) I've read that bookings thru carnival are up to $200/pp higher.

3) My m-i-l who booked the aforementioned family trip says only use a cruise broker.

Ideas? Recommendations?

TIA,

Kevin

Archived