Diamond Princess

Bocagirl1

Currently on the Diamond. she is beautiful. Very well kept, spotless, and a marvelous staff. Lots of fun. Grams98

That is good to hear Grams98 as all I see when I look at reviews is how tired and dated the ship is

We just spent 38 nights on her..... she is a wonderful ship and we will be back on her in December.

Don't believe everything you read on here..... check out who is writing it... some people think this is a forum for complaints and some people complain about everything.... no matter how trivial.

Go on the Diamond, it is in good repair, the crew is amazing and you will have a great time. Make up your own mind! :D

I have been on many cruises, many ships and different cruise lines. I may have noticed scratches on the furniture or stains on the rug but only once did I really see anything that bothered me. That was on the Prinsendam years ago, shortly before a major refurbishment when the shower's tiled walls were mildewed. I had a great cruise and it was one of my top three.

Maybe I'm oblivious but I cruise for the ports, the people on the ship, and the enjoyment of being on a ship. If something needs to be cleaned or replaced (such as a shower curtain), I say something and move on.

When it comes down to it, what does "tired" and "old" really mean? By whose definition? If you like neon glitz, perhaps Princess decor is tired and old. To me, it's comfortable. After all, I'm re-"tired" and old.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone recently been on Diamond Princess as I have seen a few bad reviews of it and due to be going on her in November but concerned that she is in need of major refurbishment:confused:

Just back yesterday from the 24 day Cruise and land tour to China and I have no complaints whatsoever about the Diamond Princess. They could not try harder to make your cruise an enjoyable experience and never saw any signs of areas that were in a poor state. They had an ongoing programme of varnishing going on and they were always cleaning. Would not hesitate to go on it again. X

• 11 months later...
Has anyone recently been on Diamond Princess as I have seen a few bad reviews of it and due to be going on her in November but concerned that she is in need of major refurbishment:confused:

Diamond Princess Just had her Drydock and here is a link to her Post-Drydock Pictures:

Flickr princesscruises Diamond Princess Post-Drydock 2014 Pictures 4/2014 41

I know you were planning going in November 2013?, Right? How did you find the Diamond Princess 5 months or so before her drydock?

:):):):)

Edited by cruiseclues

I am not the op, but I took my first Princess cruise on the Diamond, Dec.2013/Jan.2014, prior to her dry dock. We loved the ship and had a wonderful cruise. We also enjoyed Princess overall and did a California Coastal on the Grand in April and just booked Alaska on the Crown in 2015.

I have been on many cruises, many ships and different cruise lines. I may have noticed scratches on the furniture or stains on the rug but only once did I really see anything that bothered me. That was on the Prinsendam years ago, shortly before a major refurbishment when the shower's tiled walls were mildewed. I had a great cruise and it was one of my top three.

Maybe I'm oblivious but I cruise for the ports, the people on the ship, and the enjoyment of being on a ship. If something needs to be cleaned or replaced (such as a shower curtain), I say something and move on.

When it comes down to it, what does "tired" and "old" really mean? By whose definition? If you like neon glitz, perhaps Princess decor is tired and old. To me, it's comfortable. After all, I'm re-"tired" and old.

In My Humble Opinion.... Excellent reply, Pam, and totally agree with your "By Whose definition"

Cruise reviews are helpful, but if nearly everyone loves a ship & I see a totally negative review in a sea of good ones I pay little attention.

Steve

Totally agree!

We were aboard Diamond for our 1st Princess cruise in May, 2013, shortly after this resurrected thread was started. For the most part, we thought the ship was is good condition.... the staff was great & we have just booked our 2nd Princess cruise with more than 25 on other cruise lines.:)

I have about 40 Princess cruises done and enjoyed. I was not crazy about the Royal but I am a small ship person.Princess keeps the ships in top condition and a few scratches or wear spots can not spoil my cruise. Rude people are the WORST hazard nowadays.

The older Princess ships are not to be knocked.

I would prefer a ship like Diamond Princess over the newer and horrible Crown, Emerald and Ruby Princess ships any day.

Some people complain about the age but I can tell you one good thing in defence of the older Princess ships. The thing is the newer ships like Crown, Emerald and Ruby are exactly the same design with an extra deck slapped on top with no new public rooms or space and hoards of crowds. New passengers who have never been on these older great ships are none the wiser.

People can complain about these older ships all they like. As for me I will be sticking with ships like the Diamond, Sapphire, Grand, Golden and Star Princess. I would never set foot on those enlarged versions ever again even if I were paid to cruise on them.