Fishing from a pier or beach

JaneyLynn

thank you for your reply, he'll be happy to know others do it.

I wonder if he would need a fishing license? I'd hate to have to bail him out of a Mexican jail :rolleyes:

He's a catch and release type so we won't be bringing whatever he may catch with us (or eating it there)

Regarding the need for a Mexican fishing license, the answer is no you are not required to have a fishing license if you are fishing from shore in Mexico (up to about 200 meters out). That's the practical by the book answer, however Conapesca agents don't always work by book. Chances are you will not see one on the shore in Progreso, so I wouldn't worry but be aware. What I would do would be to find a local fishing from shore, ask to borrow some gear in exchange for any fish caught and maybe a soda or beer and have a good time fishing. Last time we were there, I did notice quite a few pangas on the beach, which I am sure you can hire in exchange for the fish and a few dollars, if he would be interested on that.

• 4 weeks later...

We spent part of the winter in Chixculub, a small village 5 miles east of the Progreso pier. In Chixculub there is a new pier that extends about 100 meters into the Gulf. There are usually fisherman on the pier. A cab costs about $5.00. At the beginning of the pier there is a restaurant, La Casa del Faro that opens at noon. On the street leading up to the pier there is another restaurant, The Bamboo Inn that is usually open for breakfast. Both are popular with ex-pats. It is easy to get a cab back to shuttle bus to the cruise ship. If you come to Chicxulub, you will not see many cruise ship passengers but you will see a part of real Mexico. It is very safe. Our winter house is three blocks away and we often walk down to the Bamboo or Faro for lunch or dinner.

Archived