North Friar's Beach to South Friar's Beach

KatPem

Does anyone know if it is realistic to walk from North Friar's Beach to South Friar's Beach or vice-versa? They look close enough but not having been there, didn't know the reality. Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know if it is realistic to walk from North Friar's Beach to South Friar's Beach or vice-versa? They look close enough but not having been there, didn't know the reality. Thanks in advance!

Having done it a couple of months ago, I know the reality. I lived it.

Both lie under the brow of Sir Timothy's Hill, which offers a famous view of both the Atlantic and Caribbean sides. From the hill North Friar's is a long strip of tan sand on your left (Atlantic) side; from this angle you can't see South Friar's beach itself, but there is a good view of the southeast peninsula curving along the Caribbean down to Nevis. (There is also a view over your shoulder to the very handsome North Frigate Bay).

I only approached both beaches from the north side. North Friar's is closer, down a twenty or thirty foot slope on a tramped-down path. Not hard for a fit person, but not what you would call accessible. The beach itself is 725 yards long, absolutely undeveloped, no buildings, burgers, drinks or, when I was there, people. Just a Robinson Crusoe-like view out to six-foot Atlantic waves. The south side looks as if access might be easier, but I did not investigate.

From the north side of the beach to South Friar's is a jog to the left, then right down a flat quarter of a mile to the Carambola facility. This is very user-friendly, with civilized six-inch Caribbean waves and food and drinks and bathrooms and water toys and people. Also a very scenic view across a curving bay to the cloud-shrouded and brooding Nevis. I know that there are other establishments to the south but I was too short of time to visit them.

The beaches are maybe fifteen minutes apart. This is a very flat part of the island so apart from the improvised trail down to North Friar's, not very strenuous. The two beaches are a complete contrast of wild and tame.

Sir Timothy Hill is near enough for a somewhat longer and considerably more demanding hike. There is a lookout point convenient to the highway on the east spur. A steep road goes another hundred feet or so up the hill itself. It looks like it would be possible to scramble even higher through the brush to the summit, but I didn't try it. Hill is maybe 400 feet or so.

From the sea the contrast between the several hills and the flat areas between is conspicuous, looking like the tail of a giant dragon.

Archived