Zenith obstructed view/portholes

odiesam

How poor are the obstructed view cabins on the Zenith? If the deck plan shows full coverage, should I assume very little natural light?

Also, the ocean view cabins toward the front of the ship - are these portholes and if so how small are they?

I would like some natural light but also want to keep the price down.

Thanks for any help.

Two trips we've intentionally booked the 1st and 2d cabins (9016, 9018) in CAT 8 front-ship obstructed on HORIZON because they look out over catwalk platform of the supplemental life-boat cannisters. There's a metal bar rail or two in view thru the standard size window. We saved about $100pp over the next-door unobstructed CAT 4 both times. Other CAT 8 you'll get light but see white hull of lifeboat 3 ft from window (unless you catch a 'gap'). You get 95% of the daylight.

For Zenith, the deck plan looks similar, but look at pix of Zenith on cruise webs (get out your magnifying glass) and count windows in vicinity of lifeboats to determine the least obstructed choices. PUT THE SAVINGS TOWARDS BEER/WINE - it'll taste even better.

On our first cruise on Zenith we had a large picture window. It was nice but not very useful since Zenith does not have any balconies. I just got off the VOS with a large balcony that to me was well worth the extra $. On Zenith all cabins, no matter what the class are identical other than whether you have a large window, small window/obstructed, or port hole. I just booked a Cat 6 because based on my prior experience, I rarely looked out the window, especially if you are on the starboard side of the sh8p.

The deck plans are pretty accurate as far as lifeboat locations are concerned. If a cabin between lifeboats is not available right now, keep checking and have your agent make the change if one is open. Even if you don't get one with a view between the boats, though, you will still have lots of natural light in these cabins.

Years ago, we had cabin 9054 on Zenith and the window was located between two lifeboats. So, we had a wonderful unobstructed view when looking directly out -- minor obstructions when looking side to side. Celebrity listed this as an obstructed view cabin at the time...

I've booked those rooms 2x. We got sufficient light and the being on the 9th floor is really convenient as you are in between the main dining/shops and pool. Out back there used to be lounge chairs but they've added ping pong tables and stuff. Still lounge chairs one deck up on 10. Just be aware that while in port they check and sometimes paint and work on the lifeboats so you may have guys outside your window. There are definitely rooms where you're inbetween lifeboats, which is definitely better. However, I think the price difference is only around 20 so if you really want a full window view take deck 6.

Years ago, we had cabin 9054 on Zenith and the window was located between two lifeboats. So, we had a wonderful unobstructed view when looking directly out -- minor obstructions when looking side to side. Celebrity listed this as an obstructed view cabin at the time...

When you are looking out through 'gap' between the lifeboats on either side of the obstructed view window, you will have to look cross-eyed to focus thru the center. You run the risk of your eyes staying that way, just like your mother warned you when you were young. However, this condition may be covered by CruiseCare insurance. BUT applying for treatment under insurance raises the 'pre-exisiting conditions' clause. To cover that eventuality, when you have your passport photo taken, make sure you are cross-eyed in it and when boarding, look at all the ships' staff cross-eyed so further establish your status.

Even better, when reaching for the welcome champagne glass on boarding, cross your eyes and extend your hand a little to the left or right of the offered glass. Also, if your mother was right all along, and your eyes do get stuck cross-eyed peering thru the lifeboat gap, you will need to trade in your binoculars for a telescope. But most of all - ENJOY YOUR TRIP

P.S. being cross-eyed is not the end of the world - you will get a discount from the optometrist when he does your eye prescrition. Boy, isn't this CC board just chock full of helpful information to enhance everyone's cruising experience - glad I could help.

Archived