Cruising with daughters friend who is 18, I don't need notarized letter right?

bankonus

My daughter is 17, but we are bringing her friend who is already 18. I don't need a notarized letter for her to travel with me do I? I gave her a copy of the same letter my ex husband notarizes for me to take my 17 year old (just in case) but it's not required by Carnival is it? The only reason I ask is that we sail in about 5 weeks and her parents are going through some difficulties and one parent is being stubborn about getting it notarized, even though it's for the daughter, not the other parent. I am one of those better safe than sorry people. Thanks.

My daughter is 17, but we are bringing her friend who is already 18. I don't need a notarized letter for her to travel with me do I? I gave her a copy of the same letter my ex husband notarizes for me to take my 17 year old (just in case) but it's not required by Carnival is it? The only reason I ask is that we sail in about 5 weeks and her parents are going through some difficulties and one parent is being stubborn about getting it notarized, even though it's for the daughter, not the other parent. I am one of those better safe than sorry people. Thanks.

If it were I, I would most certainly get something. I just don't think you'd want to be in a situation where it was needed. I understand the age is 18 but I would not take the chance and err on the side of caution.

Good luck.

I traveled w/my daughter who was 18 at the time and they told me to bring a letter from her father to allow her to travel w/me... They never did ask for it, but I would get one..just to be safe

This is exactly why I wanted the letter in the first place. The 8 cruises I have taken my kids on they have never asked for the letter I had my ex sign. But don't you know the minute I didn't have one for my daughters friend they would want it. Plus, it gives me permission to sign for medical care. What parent wouldn't want to send their child off with that letter? Hidden agendas when it comes to couples in a riff I guess. I will try speaking with the other parent one on one and see if I can get somewhere. Thanks everyone.

She's 18.. she is an adult and doesn't need her parents permission to travel!

You and I have the same opinion. The thing I find so funny when cruising with my 23 year old son, are the limitations they put on us booking rooms with him booked with my underage daughter. I'm like he's freaking 23 for crying out loud! Why can't he be booked on another level with my daughter in a much cheaper room?! So frustrating.

You and I have the same opinion. The thing I find so funny when cruising with my 23 year old son, are the limitations they put on us booking rooms with him booked with my underage daughter. I'm like he's freaking 23 for crying out loud! Why can't he be booked on another level with my daughter in a much cheaper room?! So frustrating.

Actually the limitation is on your daughter not him. He can book and travel alone if he wanted.

Actually the limitation is on your daughter not him. He can book and travel alone if he wanted.

Well I get that, but she is in a room with her 23 year old brother, not another minor and we have have to book them close to us everytime. :confused:

This is exactly why I wanted the letter in the first place. The 8 cruises I have taken my kids on they have never asked for the letter I had my ex sign. But don't you know the minute I didn't have one for my daughters friend they would want it. Plus, it gives me permission to sign for medical care. What parent wouldn't want to send their child off with that letter? Hidden agendas when it comes to couples in a riff I guess. I will try speaking with the other parent one on one and see if I can get somewhere. Thanks everyone.

Once you reach the age of majority, you are no longer under a parents care. With that being said, the 18 year old can sign and authorize their own medical care. The letter also gives permission to sign "waivers". An 18 year old can legally enter into a contract, and buy a house, a car, and sign any legal document. Since she is at the age of majority, a parent no longer have a legal right to give permission to another adult, to make decisions for another adult (except for special circumstances). With that being said, exactly what is the parent giving permission for, when the 18 year old has the full legal right to override that decision. The parent can't even make the decision let alone another adult. If that person wants to travel, than it's fine. Just make sure they have a passport, or proper birth certificate to travel along with an ID. My son, had to actually give us permission to handle his affairs, while he is overseas in the military. (Power of Attorney) Remember, once 18, you are no longer a legal guardian.

Once you reach the age of majority, you are no longer under a parents care. With that being said, the 18 year old can sign and authorize their own medical care. The letter also gives permission to sign "waivers". An 18 year old can legally enter into a contract, and buy a house, a car, and sign any legal document. Since she is at the age of majority, a parent no longer have a legal right to give permission to another adult, to make decisions for another adult (except for special circumstances). With that being said, exactly what is the parent giving permission for, when the 18 year old has the full legal right to override that decision. The parent can't even make the decision let alone another adult. If that person wants to travel, than it's fine. Just make sure they have a passport, or proper birth certificate to travel along with an ID. My son, had to actually give us permission to handle his affairs, while he is overseas in the military. Remember, once 18, you are no longer a legal guardian.

Which gives me relief since I don't think I will get the signed letter. :rolleyes:

She is of legal age to travel and does not need permission. If she wanted to she could drive to Canada or Mexico. She just needs proof of citizenship to get back into the country. Going on cruise is no different. It's not Carnival's rules BTW, it's US Customs & Border Protection. Carnival only advises their guests what documentation is required by Customs to enter back into the country.

Not to be confused with Carnival's Minor Guest Policy which is a completely different matter. Carnival rules are about guests under the age of 21, need to be in the same cabin with someone age 25+.

We just cruised Carnival under these exact same circumstanses. My daughter was 17 and her friend was 18. We did not need or take a letter from the friends parents. We did recommend that the girl bring insurance cards or at least copies of them in case of an emergency.

Other than that, she is an adult and does not need a letter to travel with anyone.

Have fun on your cruise!:D

We just cruised Carnival under these exact same circumstanses. My daughter was 17 and her friend was 18. We did not need or take a letter from the friends parents. We did recommend that the girl bring insurance cards or at least copies of them in case of an emergency.

Other than that, she is an adult and does not need a letter to travel with anyone.

Have fun on your cruise!:D

Thank you!:)

We are bringing my son's 2 friends ages 20 and 21, and Carnival told me they needed a letter for permission to travel with us, because yhey are not family, and not in our cabin, but in the cabin next door, and the age for them to be in their own cabin is 25 if they are not related to the adult in the next cabin, hence the need for the letter.

We just went last week on the Glory (Western Itinerary) and took my niece who is only 9. I had my sister get the notarized letter (in English and Spanish since we were going to Coumel) and not once did anyone even question her different last name or ask for anything. The only thing needed when leaving and returning to Ship at ports were sea and sail card and picture ID for those over (16 or 18). Kids only needed to show sea and sail card. Each time we got off we just scanned our sea and sail card, and each time returning at the port we needed to show sea and sail for kids, and sea and sail and license for us (we also had passports for everyone and never needed them to leave or return to the ship. They remained in the safe all week)

Well I get that, but she is in a room with her 23 year old brother, not another minor and we have have to book them close to us everytime. :confused:

You can't book them together, but I think you can switch rooms once you get on the ship. My parents did that twice for me, once with my cousins and once with my friend. They booked it so that one of them would be staying with us, but when we got on the ship, they brought the keys to guest services and simply asked if the keys could be switched to different rooms on the reservation.

If it were I, I would most certainly get something. I just don't think you'd want to be in a situation where it was needed. I understand the age is 18 but I would not take the chance and err on the side of caution.

Good luck.

No, she is legal now. I went on my first cruise when I was 18 with some of my older cousins. They never questioned or asked.

I agree with the majority here, they don't need anything. We've cruised twice with our DD's friend at age 18 and then when she was 19. No problems at all. We did have to book DD in my room and DD friend in DW room just for the booking. Enjoy the cruise!

So we are traveling in a few weeks with several children whose parents are not coming.

1st me and my children (9 months, 4 years) but my husband is not coming...do I need to have something from him?

2nd my nieces and nephew (15, 11, 5) are coming as well as my mother who obviously their grandmother...do we need something from my sister and brother to cover their kids?

So we are traveling in a few weeks with several children whose parents are not coming.

1st me and my children (9 months, 4 years) but my husband is not coming...do I need to have something from him?

2nd my nieces and nephew (15, 11, 5) are coming as well as my mother who obviously their grandmother...do we need something from my sister and brother to cover their kids?

You should get a notarized letter from your sister that states she has given you permission to take her kids on a cruise and that you have authorization to make any medical decisions for the children.

Archived