Services provided by Butler?

Can anyone tell me what specific services a butler has provided to you on board a Radisson ship? We are sailing on the Navigator this summer and are considering upgrading to a suite with butler service.

Thanks

Linda :)

Having been in 2 accommodations out of our 3 Radisson cruises that came with Butlers we were equally a little perplexed to identify exactly what a Butler would do. Apart from most anything you could think of - which leaves it wide open - the only thing we found you were assured from your Butler was, the afternoon canapes and the same face when dining in suite. I would not pay the extra for Butler but would pay more for more space in the accommodation with or without a Butler. Sorry to sound a little negative.

On Navigator I would not incur the additional expense of a butler suite. The basic suites are 356'sq and the butler suites( unless you go to the really big ones) are the same size. Butlers are highly variable. We've had them 3 times on RSSC ships. One was excellent and the other two were just so so. The room staff on RSSC ships are so good that you don't need a butler. Your stewardess provides all that you will need. The butler really just adds snob appeal other than the afternoon canapes. The more important thing on Navigator is location. We had 629 and it was perfect; no motion and no vibration. Mid-ships is the best location.

We had a butler on the Diamond final crossing. Now frankly, I thought that there would be nothing for a butler to do on a crossing...no ports, no excursions, no multiple dining facilities (Don Vito's was easy to handle on your own). But, I was wrong. Every little request was handled promptlly...from switching out our liquor to something we liked, to supervising room service. He brought us canapes in the afternoon with a glass of wine or champagne. They were well plated, and ranged from shrimp cocktail to a cheese and veggie tray. Arriving right after tea was often a little more than we could handle many days. On disembarkation day, we were told we could stay in the room as long as we wanted (although the stewards were obviously not of the same mindset, and started prepping our suite while we were still there.

Unfortunately I lost a favorite silver and lapis bracelet on that cruise, and even the butler couldn't locate it. But certainly not because he didn't try.

On a negative, he failed to tell us that pressing was complimentary the first day. Phil sent out his tux, but would have sent a couple of shirts if he had known. He sent them a day later and we were charged for them. However, that was the only service lapse that occurred.

I thought the butler was a pleasant touch and made us feel very special. However, I'm not sure I would pay extra for one.

Doug, we are in 629 on the Navigator next week on the Navigator leaving from Reykjavik! Thanks for the good report, as I can get seasick! Love mid-ship, too, and the lower the better!

I don't have the need for a butler either. Only reason I would upgrade on any ship from the standard balcony cabin would be on the Mariner for the extra space on a Penthouse. Those are really big cabins, but only Cat C gets you a cabin without a butler at a much higher price. On Voyager, Penthouses are only 14 s.ft. bigger than standard.

Thank you all for your advice and information. We went ahead and upgraded. We made the decision because I am a bit disabled and we decided that the extra bit of pampering was worth it.

We are used to concierge service on HAL and our travel agent told us the butler would provide the same service to us so that I not have to take trips to the front desk. I also enjoy breakfast in the suite.

I think it is really the idea of the extra pampering. I was severely injured in two auto accidents, one with an eighteen wheeler so I take all the TLC and pampering I can get.

(I really have a wonderful husband who provides it for me and really pampers me at home and on vacation)

Linda :)

You won't regret upgrading to get a butler. I think that the RSSC butlers are among the best at sea. They really bend over backwards to do everything that they can to make you comfortable. The Stewardess and her assistant take care of the suite, the bulter takes care of you. If you order any meals in you your suite, your butler (who gets to know all of your preferences), rather than an anonomous room service waiter, checks the orders and serves them to you. The butler also caters any private parties you might want to give in your suite, takes care of your laundry, pressing and dry cleaning and can take care of reservations in the specialty resturants and for shore excursions.

On the Navigator, the head butler is John who was our butler on the Mariner in 2003 when we took a segment of the World Cruise. He is really fantastic. When we were on the Navigator in March, he told our butler all of our preferences which he remembered from two years before.

I do not want to rain on your parade BUT butlers can become NOT your best friend. I felt more pampered with RSSC's regular room service than when we had a butler. Thank goodness I had 3 or so cruises before "The Butler" cabin so I had a basis of comparison. However I became friends on a cruise who had a butler whom I met. He was a jewel. When we do our World Cruise on Voyager I want Penthouse B because of the layout (and closet), not the butler. If the butler is as incompetent as I had before I will open my mouth this time and insist on NO butler or someone else. Either way you will enjoy your journey, as I did. ONE thing (as a previous poster mentioned) to remember is that on that first day your clothes are pressed free. Our butler failed to mention this. We ended up paying also. If you search for "The Butler" you will read my experience that I had.

You will have a wonderful trip, RSSC makes it so. Enjoy!

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen,

Thanks for the heads up. I read your Butler thread and it is very enlightening. I never had the expectation that the butler would be my best friend, however I was hoping for a bit more than standard room service. Actually, I am a bit mobility impaired and the idea of having someone help with shore excursions or reservations is very appealing. Also some extra room service. I like the idea of having the same person there all the time. This is the level of service we are used to on HAL's suite level with Concierge service. The actual service you recieve is always dependent on the person delivering the service. On HAL, since we are at the top level, we get the top level servers. In a way, it's the luck of the draw.

What ever we end up with, I know we will have a wonderful cruise. We always expect to do so. We just hope to stack the deck a bit by trying to get the best we can before we get there. I hope we get a lucky deal with the butler.

Thanks again.

maucat,

I guess I'll have to break the news to my husband, we are going shopping!!! Again!! :D

Linda

Having been in 2 accommodations out of our 3 Radisson cruises that came with Butlers we were equally a little perplexed to identify exactly what a Butler would do. Apart from most anything you could think of - which leaves it wide open - the only thing we found you were assured from your Butler was, the afternoon canapes and the same face when dining in suite. I would not pay the extra for Butler but would pay more for more space in the accommodation with or without a Butler. Sorry to sound a little negative.

Hi Donaldo, glad to see you're still around. Have you anything booked in the near future?

Archived