Am I crazy, or what?????

I would be terribly upset. Our cruise left from Barcelona, and it was by far my favorite stop!! :D

Thanks to you and NHDisneylover for now making me more confused about what I should do :confused: :p Do you guys know whether RCCL will set up a hotel if we fly in a day early, or is that something I have to find on my own? I have air through ChoiceAir, so I'd have to get the flight changed as well. We're still thinking about it since it would be a very tight schedule due to our wedding plans.

So I guess it boils down to what you call good odds. I think that is much too high of a chance of missing the ship for me to be happy with it. I would be a stressed out mess the entire flight.

I would be less bothered if the next port were Naples or Livorno, somewhere that could easily be reached by train. Anything where the next port required getting a last minute flight into that city, in the window that the ship will be there? Nope. Too much stress for ME.

Yes and I agree with you as I have stated I always try and book at least one day in the fly to port. My exceptions are. If the ship overnights, I am booked as a package, or the next port is easy to get too as you stated. However for the folks that have plans made and they would be difficult to change (like a "Honeymoon cruise") I say just relax and the odds are in your favor. We all have to do whats comfortable for us.

Thanks to you and NHDisneylover for now making me more confused about what I should do :confused: :p Do you guys know whether RCCL will set up a hotel if we fly in a day early, or is that something I have to find on my own? I have air through ChoiceAir, so I'd have to get the flight changed as well. We're still thinking about it since it would be a very tight schedule due to our wedding plans.

They'd probably set up a hotel for you, but you can do it yourself for so much less $$$. We'll help you find a good one over on the meet thread :) Or you could go over to the ports forum and more people will help.

I may be weird (okay, I know I am! :D ) but I think Barcelona is more interesting and more beautiful than Rome--by far.

However for the folks that have plans made and they would be difficult to change (like a "Honeymoon cruise") I say just relax and the odds are in your favor.

Thank you, and I certainly hope so! :) I think my biggest disappointment would be missing the sailaway/sendoff from Barcelona. But I'm going to try to stay positive!

They'd probably set up a hotel for you, but you can do it yourself for so much less $$$. We'll help you find a good one over on the meet thread :) Or you could go over to the ports forum and more people will help.

I may be weird (okay, I know I am! :D ) but I think Barcelona is more interesting and more beautiful than Rome--by far.

I agree!! I think Barcelona is more beautiful and more interesting than Rome by FAR, and Hotels are easy to book. ~

• 1 month later...
I'm a spur of the moment kind of girl and was in the need for a vacation. A couple weeks ago I booked a 7 day cruise on the Navigator departing from Rome on 6/2/13. Here's where the crazy part comes in......

My flight is scheduled to arrive in Rome at 1:15 pm on 6/2! I understand it's about a 1 hour drive to the ship and it will take time to clear customs. I didn't think twice about the flight when I booked it but after lurking on cc for awhile I'm starting to panic.

I did pay for rci transfers so they know my flight info. Will they wait for me if I'm on their bus?

If you make it in time to get on one of their busses, I can't see why they wouldn't wait. You might want to try to change your flight time if you can...just in case. Good luck!

Im doing the same cruise but a week later and flying from the UK to Rome. The flight and transfers were both arranged by RCI. Id have been happy to fly the day before but the RCI flight leaves the morning of the cruise. We arrive in Rome at 12 noon for departure at 5pm.

I made a point of asking what if the flights delayed will the bus wait for us ? Will the SHIP wait for us?!

I was told YES the Bus will wait for us and TRY very hard to get us to the ship in time. But the SHIP would NOT WAIT for us. However as we were booked BOTH flight and transfer with RCI they would be responsible for transfering us to the next port of call and any accomodation costs that would be incured.

If i had tried to book the flight independently for the day before / or earlier in the day,even if id have arranged an RCI transfer I was told that i would be responsible for any transport / costs to get me to the next port of call.

So Im happy that we will get there in time and if we are delayed / shrug we get a free night in a hotel in Italy some where and some nice pasta / pizza and wine :)

I think youre cutting it really tight but if youre willing to take the chance id go for it, as long as you can have a back up plan and enough cash to get you to messina the next day :) If you have the money , shrug just treat it as another day of your holiday and smile :)

We did this sailing on 12th may 2013, flew in on the day from Birmingham, flights & transfers booked thru RCI. Rome airport very busy, but there were no probs with flying in on the day from the UK. There was a whole plane load of us! I've done it 5 times now and all but 1 was booked thru RCI - please don't worry you will be fine. If you were coming from the USA on the day then that would be different. Enjoy!

I'm a spur of the moment kind of girl and was in the need for a vacation. A couple weeks ago I booked a 7 day cruise on the Navigator departing from Rome on 6/2/13. Here's where the crazy part comes in......

My flight is scheduled to arrive in Rome at 1:15 pm on 6/2! I understand it's about a 1 hour drive to the ship and it will take time to clear customs. I didn't think twice about the flight when I booked it but after lurking on cc for awhile I'm starting to panic.

I did pay for rci transfers so they know my flight info. Will they wait for me if I'm on their bus?

Please, let us know if you made the ship. Inquiring minds want to know. I hope you did.

I hope you made it!

Please let us know as we might be in a simular situation next year. We are travelling with friends on a TA and although we booked Celebrity Reflection TA and BTB, the others have booked the Serenade. We are currently holding reservations for both TA's and if we do the Serenade, she docks in BCN at 6am and the Reflection leaves from Civitavecchia at 5pm on the same day :eek:

From what I can find, there are currently flights leaving BCN at 11.15 and arriving in Rome at 1.30. We hope to be able to book by Choice Air if we need to.

I'm happy to report that I made it and am on the ship at this moment trying to figure out what time it is hahaha

My flight arrived 40 minutes early and there was a RCI rep waiting for me at baggage claim. He took my bag and walked me to a bus that departed 5 minutes after I boarded. There were a total of 25 passengers on the bus.

Check in was a breeze. It was 245 pm and not one person in front of me in line. My bag was at my room by 5!

I'm happy to report that I made it and am on the ship at this moment trying to figure out what time it is hahaha

My flight arrived 40 minutes early and there was a RCI rep waiting for me at baggage claim. He took my bag and walked me to a bus that departed 5 minutes after I boarded. There were a total of 25 passengers on the bus.

Check in was a breeze. It was 245 pm and not one person in front of me in line. My bag was at my room by 5!

YAY! Have fun!

Go buy some lottery tickets! :D

Archived