Harbor Nights - Pros and Cons of the Shore Excursion

Polydonald

We're going to Bermuda in three weeks on the Zenith. They sell the excursion to Harbor Nights via van for $37 per person. We're only a group of two, so we were wondering whether anyone knows whether is is a value to get from St. George to Hamilton this way or whether there is any advantage to booking it through the cruise line. Is the excursion price a significant price saving over getting a cab?

We're inclined to wait to see what the weather/our moods/our sunburn is like before committing.

The issue is compounded by the fact that there is a candlelight walking tour of St. George the same night and we're suckers for that sort of thing. So, if Harbor Nights "ain't nothing special" please let us know.

Thanks.

We just returned from Bermuda on the Horizon. It was the best cruise we have ever taken.

We went to the Harbor Night bcause it was right outside our ship. It is a street fair with vendors, as well as Goombey Dancers (or similar entertainment) and some food stands. Several of the stores on Front Street stayed open.

My personal opinion is that it is nothing special and you should not spend $37 per person to go on the ship excursion. If you decide not to take the candlelight walk in St Georges, you can take the bus from St Georges to Hamilton for a couple of dollars each.

We bought a 3 day bus pass that was good for buses and ferries and used it extensively to get everywhere on the island. It was well worth the $28

Feel free to ask me any other questions.

Loretta

loranfa@aol.com

polly

i can tell you it is a tough choice that i did not have to make. i was able to do both last time in bermuda. harbour night is a grand spectacle with the marching band and parade. the street vendors....i can take it or leave it.

as one who likes excitement, i was a little skeptical about taking the walking tour. the candlelight walking tour was, much to my surprise a wonderful experience. hopefully you will get michael, the town crier. he is also the one who greets the ship in his old world garb as it enters the narrow channel into st. george. he is wonderfully interesting, amusing, and full of knowledge. simply a delight to walk the streets and chat with through this quaint village. you will not be disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

We had Michael Jones as Town Crier while on Radisson last year in June. We returned on Zenith in August to find another Crier. We found Michael working in his Internet Cafe (also owns a gift shop) and he told me "I've been demoted." He was laughing, actually he is the Mayor of St Georges also and has a pet cockatoo POOH who goes everywhere with him.

You can also catch Michael on the Bermuda segment of This Old House on PBS.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from Bermuda on Saturday. I would not spend $37 to travel to Hamilton for the Harbor Nights.....it's just not "that worth it". Don't get me wrong,it's a nice way to spend the night and the locals are very talkative and friendly. There are lots of crafts (I thought they were expensive and I'm a craft show junky) and the stores do stay open later..........but $37 is a stiff price for the ride over. See if there's a cheaper way to do it...........it would be worth it for a lesser price.

$37 is a good price to go rountrip by van. We took the bus into Ham from St. George and then a cab back and the cab back was about $30 and that was 3 years ago. The street fair is a street fair. I would opt for the walking tour and definitely stop by and see the mayor -- you can also check your email and get a frozen cappacino. The bird sits in the tree outside the shop when not on his shoulder -- he is quite the character (the mayor/ex town crier that is). The best thing I found at the street fair were animals made of Bermuda sand. I found them on this trip in a small gift shop in the square at end of the row that has the tourist info place? where you can buy bus tokens. Check them out -- they're awesome.

Archived