Seattle pre-crusie dinner

cruisinlawn

I am hoping you get some good suggestions. Not a lot for American fare that I know of, not within walking distance.

Elysian Brewing company would be middle of the road, and have American food. I have not eaten there so can't vouch for the food. 13 coins has american food - it can be pricey though so google the menu & see what you think.

Portions are very large & sometimes I split an entree. The menu is huge & lots of items aren't in the break a budget range.

I don't know if either place is walking distance for you, but it should be a fairly cheap taxi ride.

thanks for the insight, perhaps I shouldn't have stated American fare. I just need some place that has variety. I have looked at the Steelhead Diner and couple of locations near Pike Place but wondering if there were something closer to Homewood. TIA

You're very close to one of the McMenamins pubs - Six Arms. I haven't eaten in that one, but have at several others - they're reasonable pub grub places, nothing bad but nothing outstanding. Some of the beers are quite good, though in this part of Seattle we'd always schlep the extra half-mile up the hill to drink in Elysian (where unfortunately like the previous poster, we haven't tried the food).

Everywhere we've actually eaten in this neighbourhood was kinda fancy I'm afraid, so we can't give any personal reviews that fit your query - but if you mean middle-of-the-road price rather than style of food, Happy Hour at Mistral is ridiculously good value (and they do offer some fairly 'regular' pubby dishes like a personal-size pizza, soft pretzels, pig-in-a-bun). It's a ittle closer than Elysian, although you do have the uphill part on the way back...

Yes it's a chain, and yes, it's in another hotel, but the Daily Grill at the Sheraton is just two blocks down the hill from your hotel and it's actually quite good.

While I have not eaten at this Daily Grill, I can second that while it is a chain and usually in hotels, Daily Grill is quite good! If you like chicken pot pie, theirs is one of the best I have ever eaten (probably second only to my homemade ones!).

I forgot my old standby that has been there for decades + still in business!

Charlies on Broadway. Middle of the road prices, quality, pretty good selection. I like the atmosphere, booths, funky antiques. Years back when I worked swing shift we would come here after work - see half the hospital departments represented at different tables.

You're very close to one of the McMenamins pubs - Six Arms. I haven't eaten in that one, but have at several others - they're reasonable pub grub places, nothing bad but nothing outstanding. Some of the beers are quite good, though in this part of Seattle we'd always schlep the extra half-mile up the hill to drink in Elysian (where unfortunately like the previous poster, we haven't tried the food).

Everywhere we've actually eaten in this neighbourhood was kinda fancy I'm afraid, so we can't give any personal reviews that fit your query - but if you mean middle-of-the-road price rather than style of food, Happy Hour at Mistral is ridiculously good value (and they do offer some fairly 'regular' pubby dishes like a personal-size pizza, soft pretzels, pig-in-a-bun). It's a ittle closer than Elysian, although you do have the uphill part on the way back...

tell me bout some of the fancier locals, we're open to suggestions for good food. TIA

tell me bout some of the fancier locals, we're open to suggestions for good food. TIA

Up Pike Street from your hotel, away from downtown, is Capitol Hill. There are a lot of very good restaurants up there. You might want to look at Sitka & Spruce (VERY popular with local foodies--not cheap, but you would have a very Seattle meal there, and probably a memorable one); Quinn's Pub (a very well-regarded, high-end gastropub--definitely not the usual bar food!); Oddfellows Cafe+Bar (very trendy and popular--the Seattle Times said "If there were a place called Hipster U., Oddfellows Café+Bar could be its Student Union"--but the food gets good reviews); Lark (another foodie darling, not cheap but it gets great reviews); Restaurant Zoe (another popular place from the people behind Quinn's); Skillet Diner (neo-diner food, very good--try the bacon jam, it's heavenly!)

I don't know your definition of walkable, but there are folks who would walk to any of these places. Personally, I would take a cab to all but maybe Sitka & Spruce, which is about five blocks from your hotel--but I'm a confirmed couch potato, and Pike Street goes up a fairly substantial hill! Any of them would certainly be a reasonable cab fare, and probably worth it if you like good food and want to try something unique to Seattle that you wouldn't find at any mall, anyplace.

Apart from Mistral which I mentioned already, we've had some very nice meals at BOKA and Anchovies & Olives. Some of Casagorditas above-mentioned restos are on our radar for future trips too - Sitka & Spruce especially. Oh, and a foodie friend who lived in Seattle until recently swears by Canlis.

Apart from Mistral which I mentioned already, we've had some very nice meals at BOKA and Anchovies & Olives. Some of Casagorditas above-mentioned restos are on our radar for future trips too - Sitka & Spruce especially. Oh, and a foodie friend who lived in Seattle until recently swears by Canlis.

I've heard nothing but raves about Canlis, from the few people I know who've been able to afford to go there! It's probably the most expensive restaurant in Seattle. It's also one of the most formal and old-school--gentlemen must wear a jacket to dine there. In most of the rest of Seattle--even the most pricey places--a clean pair of jeans and anything better than a tattered t-shirt will do just fine! But the food at Canlis is said to be as spectacular as the view, and the service is impeccable. If our budget and our wardrobe ever allow it, I sure want to find out what all the fuss is about!

Thanks folks. We'll be arriving on a Friday afternoon, a group of six, early 50's to late 70's and yes, we'll likely take a cab (senior parents) unless one is right next door to Homewood. I mentioned walkable so I might get locations near. We would prefer a casual dress code so Canlis would be out but we should prolly avoid any younger set at our age. We won't be taking along dressy attire due to the usual luggage/weight issues. Any further input is appreciated. :)

Archived